Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

I think most people are missing the point. If we do get steam for linux before the year is out it will proably be with just source games.

Maybe later, games for linux available throug steam can catch up with what steam for mac offers.

The real advantage right now is having nvidia, amd and intel taking graphics drivers for linux seriously. Even if they dont release an open source driver, having nvidia take linux seriously in terms of driver development would be a great thing. (maybe even have optimus support for linux...)

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

The main discouraging thing about this is that the only game they have worked on so far is a 3 year old game that they're just trying to squeeze a little more life out of.

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Lips View Post
    Apparently "Left 4 Dead" runs faster on Linux/OpenGL than Windows/Direct3d...

"That the Linux version runs faster than the Windows version (270.6) seems a little counter-intuitive, given the greater amount of time we have spent on the Windows version. However, it does speak to the underlying efficiency of the kernel and OpenGL."

http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/faster-zombies/
    Someone pointed out somewhere that it still uses DirectX 9, which is not as efficient as later versions. If they weren't stuck on DX 9, the results may be different.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Serious Sam is also coming this year via steam, so while I do not know whether it will launch simultaneously with left 4 dead, I think it is close enough to say that steam will not only launch with source games.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/25/se...nux-via-steam/
    Last edited by xedi; August 6th, 2012 at 06:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by xedi View Post
    Serious Sam is also coming this year via steam, so while I do not know whether it will launch simultaneously with left 4 dead, I think it is close enough to say that steam will not only launch with source games.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/25/se...nux-via-steam/
    That's a good start to get the ball rolling. Now if only we could get Intuit to port QuickBooks.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

The Steam store is not coming to Linux in general. It is coming, specifically, to Ubuntu. But that’s not the problem. I have no issue with Valve only supporting one Distro at launch. The problem is that Ubuntu already has a software and game store – the Ubuntu Software Center (or “Software Centre” for you crazy kids on the other side of the pond).

Now, I’m not opposed to some healthy competition. Quite the contrary. But, in this case, I’m concerned. We don’t need two software stores. We need one that is highly successful and pulls in large-enough sales volumes to attract developers and publishers to the platform.

Currently, the Ubuntu Software Center is still in its early stages. It’s growing and improving, but is not yet large enough (in terms of individuals actively using and purchasing software) to make it truly enticing for publishers to invest the resources needed to port their wares to Linux.

My chief concern is that the arrival of Steam will simply serve to splinter the already small (relatively) user base of “people on Linux who buy software through a digital store."

I would prefer to see Valve release games, starting with Left 4 Dead 2, through the Ubuntu Software Center. That would help bolster an existing effort to build a Linux software store while still giving Valve access to a new base of users.
    http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/81195

Beans

I reckon very few of the titles will come to Ubuntu initially, and the growth of the library will depend on response/uptake. They're not going to go all-in and port every single one of their titles until they've thoroughly tested the theory that Steam for Ubuntu is a good idea and viable business.

I presume they're going to port two or three games, and if those flop, maybe try a couple more and then give up. The amount of persevering will depend how much the initial investment has been (i.e., chasing losses).

Hopefully this is a big success for Valve. I think they will be doing it quite cautiously though.

As far as the Software Centre goes, I don't use Steam myself, but I understand it's more than just a place to get games - it has community features, chat, automatic updates, multiplayer, etc.. I don't think it's as simple as asking Valve to port their games and then make them available via an existing (much less feature-rich) channel. Or have I misunderstood?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jay MC View Post
    As far as the Software Centre goes, I don't use Steam myself, but I understand it's more than just a place to get games - it has community features, chat, automatic updates, multiplayer, etc.. I don't think it's as simple as asking Valve to port their games and then make them available via an existing (much less feature-rich) channel. Or have I misunderstood?
    No. Steam is pretty neat, I like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    No. Steam is pretty neat, I like it.
    +1. Running steam via crossover in Ubuntu.

I see no reason why they can't co-exist.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

MORE GAMES is NEVER a bad thing!!!

While I do eagerly await the arrival of Steam, I will in no way quit playing all the great games that the Software Center offers.
    (Red Eclipse, Nexuiz, SMC, Supertux Kart, TORCS, Lugaru, Gunroar, Neverputt,... List goes on and on...)

I can see how some folks might worry that Steam would steal attention from the SC, but I think the fact that so many great games are available free of charge will see to it that doesn't happen.

In the meantime, let's celebrate the coming of Steam by more heavily promoting the existing games we have available!

Beans
    Hidden!

Newly installed distro eagerly awaiting to coming of Steam and as many games that will be supported natively.

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast