Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

I hope Valve drops Vindictus for Steam if Vindictus can't be ported :V since it uses Source.
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Beans

So what percentage of games will be released for this? Thinking of building my first gaming rig soon but the idea of going back to windows doesn't appeal to me. Should i just keep gaming on my ps3/360 and wait and see for a few years?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    So what percentage of games will be released for this? Thinking of building my first gaming rig soon but the idea of going back to windows doesn't appeal to me. Should i just keep gaming on my ps3/360 and wait and see for a few years?
    That's really up to the individual developers. Valve is only porting the distribution method (Steam) and a game (Left 4 Dead 2, probably other Source games).
    Look at Steam for Mac, it's been around for a while but not EVERY game is available for Mac because the developer didn't make a Mac version.
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post
    That's really up to the individual developers. Valve is only porting the distribution method (Steam) and a game (Left 4 Dead 2, probably other Source games).
    Look at Steam for Mac, it's been around for a while but not EVERY game is available for Mac because the developer didn't make a Mac version.
    That's right. The only hope this gives us is for the games that run on the Source engine. There are a lot of games out there that don't use Source. As of right now, we have no hope at all for all of those, other than that Valve's move might inspire and motivate them.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm going to go buy left 4 dead 2 immediately. I'm a huge tf2 fan so I hope that's next.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

You can add 6 months to a year(as any Left 4 Dead 2 on 360 fan can attest to) onto any date Gabe gives,this is called Valve Time.
    Eee Pc 1215N notebook-12in Screen-Ubnutu 12.10
    Dual core 1.8 Atom
    2 gig DDR3
    Nvidia Ion(Yes it works,even have HDMI out working)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Use of Open GL would be the main criterion for a developer to consider porting a game.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Ji Ruo View Post
    Use of Open GL would be the main criterion for a developer to consider porting a game.
    The good thing about this is if you're using a game engine, like Source, the game developer doesn't have to worry about whether it uses DirectX or OpenGL. You just write one set of code using the Source API and let it handle what method it uses.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I suspect the games available for Linux Steam will be something like 95% Unity 4, 4% Source and 1% everything else. I'd be VERY surprised to see any major publishers support it (ala Mac Steam); I'd imagine 0.1% of the 1% would be from major publishers other than Valve, and that's an optimistic guess.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    The good thing about this is if you're using a game engine, like Source, the game developer doesn't have to worry about whether it uses DirectX or OpenGL. You just write one set of code using the Source API and let it handle what method it uses.
    Both Portal and Portal 2 can use OpenGL even on Windows (but only if you completely remove DirectX, and force Portal/2 to use OpenGL by not letting it install DirectX, etc.)

Or try this command: -force-opengl
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast