Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

Wine !!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Wow. That's the first time I've seen anything at all that looks trustworthy. I guess you can trust Valve's own managing director when he said they are supporting Linux.

Maybe soon, we'll be able to put this to rest with Duke Nukem Forever and Gimp 2.8.
    Hopefully it'll be better than Duke Nukem Forever haha
    System Specs: Processor:Intel® Core™ i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz × 4 Graphics:nVidia Quadro 2000m RAM: 8 GB

Ubuntu User: 34379

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

What I wounder is if this will really means that the games that already are on Steam will also work on Linux (which everyone seems to think) or if it is just a game distribution system for games designed specifically for Linux. Personally, the latter seems more probable, but I do hope they port some of the more significant engines (and subsequently, games) to Linux in the process, like HL2.
    My cross-platform python modules for PVA or population simulation https://code.google.com/p/nobones/, written in Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My guess is that with STEAM will come DX. This will make it pretty simple to port to Linux. If not, they will have to re-write games for OpenGL... which might mean companies would have to put a lot of effort into making a game run on Linux. At least I think that's how it works

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Nixarter View Post
    My guess is that with STEAM will come DX. This will make it pretty simple to port to Linux.
    To put it simply: This will never happen. DirectX is never coming to Linux. What could happen, within the next three decades, is that a group of hackers would put together a similar toolkit, from tools that are readily available already.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Portal all the way!
    By the way, this was announced awhile ago...but I still love hearing the words "Steam for Linux!"
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Wow. That's the first time I've seen anything at all that looks trustworthy. I guess you can trust Valve's own managing director when he said they are supporting Linux.
    I remain as sceptical as you.

Maybe Desura's success has proven that it's not a total waste of time, although having a client and having games that work on Linux are very different things. If there's a steam client for Linux, but it only has EA webgames... what's the point?
    Last edited by Grenage; July 16th, 2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Typo

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Kimm View Post
    What I wounder is if this will really means that the games that already are on Steam will also work on Linux (which everyone seems to think) or if it is just a game distribution system for games designed specifically for Linux. Personally, the latter seems more probable, but I do hope they port some of the more significant engines (and subsequently, games) to Linux in the process, like HL2.
    The story is that they are porting the Source engine to Linux, too. But even that won't make all the games magically work. It will just make it much easier to port the games to Linux. I forget which games it is that they are supposedly already working on porting.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kimm View Post
    Yes and no. You are correct that Steam is only a game distribution platform, however, what is exciting is that Valve is also porting their source engine, so Valve games will come also to Linux eventually.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast