Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 199

Thread: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

  1. #161
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Beans
    140

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Trammer View Post
    Ironically he actually never actually told anyone what to do (just wrote about how he felt) and you are now explicitly telling him what not to do...



    I'm looking forward to Steam, and I'd be completely at peace with MS Office on Linux, but to be honest I wouldn't understand why anyone would pay for it when they already have Open Office or Libre Office.
    Business would drop Libre for MS any day of the week, I personally prefer MS Office to Open/Libre Office. But MS Office runs perfectly fine in wine so it doesn't need to be ported, however I hope Office 2013 isn't metro only...

    It's not like Photoshop and Gimp where there is a huge difference in performance and actual use though.

  2. #162
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Western Australia
    Beans
    11,479
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    I welcome Steam's APIs, which many game developers find useful for implementing achievements, cloud saves and so forth. It will make it a little easier to port games to Linux.

    I also welcome the concept of an all-distro game store and the simplicity of distribution that will make Linux a little more welcoming for game publishers.

    I also welcome the message of "Linux is ready for gaming" that Steam brings. Oh, and the Source engine; that will also aid in porting games.

    However, I just installed a game yesterday onto Windows that requires Steam. First it had to update Steam in order to install the game. Then, Steam decided that it absolutely had to start updating the game itself. I tried to cancel this as I only have 4 gigabytes of download per month, but it turns out I can't even play the game at all until the update has finished.

    Which would take over a day on my mobile broadband connection. And cost more than what I paid for the game.

    If Steam is going to be like this on Linux, then I honestly won't buy any games that use Steam.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

  3. #163
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Beans
    3

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    I only have 4 gigabytes of download per month, but it turns out I can't even play the game at all until the update has finished.
    Going a bit OT, but I must say that I'm surprised that there are still countries with broadband connections with set download limits. Over here, both lined and mobile connections are limited by their transfer speed only.

  4. #164
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    6,022

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    However, I just installed a game yesterday onto Windows that requires Steam. First it had to update Steam in order to install the game. Then, Steam decided that it absolutely had to start updating the game itself. I tried to cancel this as I only have 4 gigabytes of download per month, but it turns out I can't even play the game at all until the update has finished.

    Which would take over a day on my mobile broadband connection. And cost more than what I paid for the game.

    If Steam is going to be like this on Linux, then I honestly won't buy any games that use Steam.
    That's the nature of steam, it does not suite users with limited bandwidth.


    Quote Originally Posted by susimetsa View Post
    Going a bit OT, but I must say that I'm surprised that there are still countries with broadband connections with set download limits. Over here, both lined and mobile connections are limited by their transfer speed only.
    Unfortunately that is a reality for some.

  5. #165
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Beans
    138
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    However, I just installed a game yesterday onto Windows that requires Steam. First it had to update Steam in order to install the game. Then, Steam decided that it absolutely had to start updating the game itself. I tried to cancel this as I only have 4 gigabytes of download per month, but it turns out I can't even play the game at all until the update has finished.

    Which would take over a day on my mobile broadband connection. And cost more than what I paid for the game.

    If Steam is going to be like this on Linux, then I honestly won't buy any games that use Steam.
    If it's a single player game, you have the option of disconnecting the internet, then starting Steam in offline mode. You should be able to use it as it's been shipped.

    I feel your pain, I was on prepaid mobile broadband for a couple of years. 12GB for $150... needless to say I was not doing much gaming back then.

    Oh and if you know someone with the game and a good internet connection, you can copy the folder from them and paste it into your pc and it will be fully updated. A quick online search will usually yield the name of the folder to copy.
    Last edited by Ji Ruo; September 30th, 2012 at 02:11 PM.

  6. #166
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Beans
    0

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by susimetsa View Post
    Going a bit OT, but I must say that I'm surprised that there are still countries with broadband connections with set download limits. Over here, both lined and mobile connections are limited by their transfer speed only.
    A fairly competitive market in Australia means that those limits are ever increasing, and some ISPs already offer unlimited plans. Hopefully data caps eventually disappear.

    Unfortunately Australia is large and sparsely populated, and some people aren't near the infrastructure they need. I guess 3rd is using mobile data from mobile phone towers, not broadband.

    3rd, if you've been on the same plan for a while it's worth having another look around. Even just among the bigger ISPs (Telstra, Internode, iiNet, TPG, Optus) you can get mobile data at 9GB/$35, or 18GB/$80, with no contract. (I won't link, because I don't want to be accused of spamming, but have a look around)


    Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    That's the nature of steam, it does not suite users with limited bandwidth.
    Not bandwidth - data quota
    Last edited by Trammer; October 1st, 2012 at 05:25 AM.

  7. #167
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    16,860
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

  8. #168
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Beans
    1,933
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    Soon for 1000 people. In 2 or 3 years for everyone else.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

  9. #169
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Beans
    12,944

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Soon for 1000 people. In 2 or 3 years for everyone else.

    Like sand through the hour glass,
    The days will surely pass.
    And in the coming dawn,
    Steam games shall be the norm.
    This account is not active.

  10. #170
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    A world without windows
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Like sand through the hour glass,
    The days will surely pass.
    And in the coming dawn,
    Steam games shall be the norm.
    That be a strange glass of Steam your holding , time you went back to coffee "as in beans"
    Two tin cans are better than an iphone

    http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2067160_ma...hone.html?cr=1

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •