Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 199

Thread: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

  1. #141
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    596
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by AllRadioisDead View Post
    Um, Photoshop on Linux would not hinder Gimp's development. GIMP exists outside of the Linux world, it's quite popular. Not everyone can afford Adobe Photoshop.

    Photoshop on Linux would give users choice, and actually offer competition which encourages development.
    Hmm people don't seem to be interpreting what I am saying correctly. That was a hypothetical example. I don't mean it like "Photoshop on Linux". I mean 99% of users opting for Photoshop instead of Gimp on Linux would be a bad thing.

    Or even like Ms office on Linux (I know it is not likely no need to flood me with comments about that not happening) would hinder the development of Libreoffice and Calligra.

  2. #142
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Beans
    996
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    It will only be a good thing for LibreOffice and GIMP if they have to compete with MSO and Photoshop. Competition is always good for everyone.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

  3. #143
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Beans
    1,933
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by kio_http View Post
    i.e Use photoshop when gimp does the job. Why? Simply because the progress of alternative FOSS projects is hindered. Had they been using Gimp, they might have submitted valuable feedback and bug reports.
    Lol. I understand what you're trying to say, and I agree with the heart of it. But you're digging yourself in a hole by using examples like that. Lot's of people would see that and argue fiercely that Gimp is not good enough to do the job.

    I know what you're trying to say, though. What I think you're trying to say is that you don't have a problem with proprietary software when it's needed, but you would hate to see Ubuntu turn into a platform where it has just become another OS where the majority of the software people use is proprietary, and they don't care about FOSS at all. I agree that would be very sad if that happened. But I don't think we have anything to worry about. Ubuntu may become more mainstream and be one of the most watered down distros, but the heart of the community will never forsake FOSS, like Android did with the Linux kernel.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

  4. #144
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    596
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Lol. I understand what you're trying to say, and I agree with the heart of it. But you're digging yourself in a hole by using examples like that. Lot's of people would see that and argue fiercely that Gimp is not good enough to do the job.

    I know what you're trying to say, though. What I think you're trying to say is that you don't have a problem with proprietary software when it's needed, but you would hate to see Ubuntu turn into a platform where it has just become another OS where the majority of the software people use is proprietary, and they don't care about FOSS at all. I agree that would be very sad if that happened. But I don't think we have anything to worry about. Ubuntu may become more mainstream and be one of the most watered down distros, but the heart of the community will never forsake FOSS, like Android did with the Linux kernel.
    I agree but if Ubuntu does become popular and gain around 20% market share there is a large possibility that loads of these users chose Ubuntu because they like its interface or something and might not even know anything about source code, licenses etc. Then proprietary software vendors will seize this opportunity and release a lot of non free software for Ubuntu. If this happens, personally I would not like it. The problem is most people who care about free software already use Ubuntu and other distros. If Ubuntu were to become more popular there is a high probability that many users would not care at all about FOSS.

  5. #145
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Beans
    1,933
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    But there are a lot of those users who would never come to Ubuntu if there weren't Linux versions of the proprietary software they need to use. And there is a high probability that those people in that situation who might come to Ubuntu because of the user interface would be greatly exposed to the concept of Free Software where they never would at all, otherwise.

    You even said yourself that it's ok to use proprietary software when needed, though I suspect that you may have said that to prevent a thrashing.

    There are a lot more instances than you think that people would need to use proprietary software. Not everyone only uses their computer just to get on the internet and check their Facebook and email.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

  6. #146
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    596
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    But there are a lot of those users who would never come to Ubuntu if there weren't Linux versions of the proprietary software they need to use. And there is a high probability that those people in that situation who might come to Ubuntu because of the user interface would be greatly exposed to the concept of Free Software where they never would at all, otherwise.

    You even said yourself that it's ok to use proprietary software when needed, though I suspect that you may have said that to prevent a thrashing.

    There are a lot more instances than you think that people would need to use proprietary software. Not everyone only uses their computer just to get on the internet and check their Facebook and email.
    No, I have nothing against non-free and free software existing. But I am against, policies that interfere with free software development and non-free software that is just plain evil like iOS.

  7. #147
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Beans
    1,933
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by kio_http View Post
    No, I have nothing against non-free and free software existing. But I am against, policies that interfere with free software development and non-free software that is just plain evil like iOS.
    Since Ubuntu itself is FOSS, I don't think you have to worry about any policies like that here.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

  8. #148
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    596
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Since Ubuntu itself is FOSS, I don't think you have to worry about any policies like that here.
    I'm not saying that I am worrying but it can happen in different ways. I do not welcome lets say a 3rd party app store for Ubuntu with evil policies, software plagued with DRM etc.

  9. #149
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Beans
    1,933
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by kio_http View Post
    I'm not saying that I am worrying but it can happen in different ways. I do not welcome lets say a 3rd party app store for Ubuntu with evil policies, software plagued with DRM etc.
    Lol. Well, nobody has to welcome it, but that's out of anyone's control. Anyone is allowed to do what they want with their software as long as it doesn't break the law. And some people go ahead and do what they want with their software even though it does break the law.

    Basically, you don't have to like it, but if it happens, nobody can stop it. There are a lot of things in this world that I don't like that are out of my control.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

  10. #150
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    596
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Lol. Well, nobody has to welcome it, but that's out of anyone's control. Anyone is allowed to do what they want with their software as long as it doesn't break the law. And some people go ahead and do what they want with their software even though it does break the law.

    Basically, you don't have to like it, but if it happens, nobody can stop it. There are a lot of things in this world that I don't like that are out of my control.
    I know that it is out of control and that users and developers can do what they want. I'm just saying that stuff like DRM and Apple's policy on locking iOS, etc are unethical practices.

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •