Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 199

Thread: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

  1. #121
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Malvern, UK
    Beans
    231
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Question Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012 -October it seems

    Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Awesome. Now how long will it be before we get the new, free of charge Black Mesa game?
    Guess that depends on if or when they add support for Linux to the Source SDK downloads...
    Last edited by Sslaxx; September 24th, 2012 at 07:42 PM.

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Beans
    2,179
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    "middle of [October]", right...
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New Hampshire, USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post
    "middle of [October]", right...
    IE: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in October 2013

    XD

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Unknown
    Beans
    16,639
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    England
    Beans
    2,671
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Beta Testing 1st week in October.

    So by the end of the month i reckon the second wave of beta invites will be out, good news.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    597
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    To be honest, I don't fancy the idea of Ubuntu becoming an OS like Android where people install tonnes of non free software.

    I feel people should stick to free software except for really essential stuff when it isn't available e.g a non free driver.

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Beans
    93
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by kio_http View Post
    To be honest, I don't fancy the idea of Ubuntu becoming an OS like Android where people install tonnes of non free software.

    I feel people should stick to free software except for really essential stuff when it isn't available e.g a non free driver.

    I like the idea that non-free software will be developed for ubuntu. Can't see anything wrong with this.

    The more software companies that invest in making software for ubuntu, the more choices we the users get. And it will attract more people to get ubuntu. Many are tired of windows, and they won't use the a lot of money to purchase mac, that leaves the linux scene with ubuntu in the front. The more people that uses ubuntu the more interested software companies will get to make software for ubuntu. I see this as win-win

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    1,419

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by kio_http View Post
    To be honest, I don't fancy the idea of Ubuntu becoming an OS like Android where people install tonnes of non free software.

    I feel people should stick to free software except for really essential stuff when it isn't available e.g a non free driver.
    I don't necessarily disagree with the idea that people should choose open source when available, if it is a workable alternative. However, there aren't good alternatives to most of the games available on Steam.

  9. #129
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Beans
    1,933
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by kio_http View Post
    I feel people should stick to free software except for really essential stuff when it isn't available e.g a non free driver.
    I think it's good for people to feel that way for themselves, but not for them to feel like other people should have to be like what they want. There's nothing wrong with someone trying to stick to free software. But not everyone is going to want to live under those strict restrictions. Since there is no law against using proprietary software, this is one case where it's not worth it to try to force people to live according to these kind of guidelines.

    But I believe that no matter how these things play out, Ubuntu is still a GNU/Linux distro (as much as I hate that term), and it always will be. Ubuntu users will never have the choice to stick to free software taken away from them. So, I really don't think it will turn into another Android, even if we let people who aren't as gung-ho about Free Software philosophy have their proprietary software.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    597
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    I don't necessarily disagree with the idea that people should choose open source when available, if it is a workable alternative. However, there aren't good alternatives to most of the games available on Steam.
    Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    I think it's good for people to feel that way for themselves, but not for them to feel like other people should have to be like what they want. There's nothing wrong with someone trying to stick to free software. But not everyone is going to want to live under those strict restrictions. Since there is no law against using proprietary software, this is one case where it's not worth it to try to force people to live according to these kind of guidelines.

    But I believe that no matter how these things play out, Ubuntu is still a GNU/Linux distro (as much as I hate that term), and it always will be. Ubuntu users will never have the choice to stick to free software taken away from them. So, I really don't think it will turn into another Android, even if we let people who aren't as gung-ho about Free Software philosophy have their proprietary software.
    Not that I think its a bad thing and of course people should chose what they want. But in my opinion it would be pretty sad if loads of commercial software appeared for Ubuntu and 99% of the users used non free software on Ubuntu systems like Android.

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •