Page 36 of 166 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

This looks to be a life saver. When I get home I will try this out. My Wife can't move off windows because of her obsession with youTube (I will admit... I'm having withdrawal symptoms )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by finite9 View Post
    stupid question: Can I use this script on a 32-bit system as well? It would make installing all plugins etc a breeze even on a 32-bit system.
    Unfortunatly no. Because the plugins are placed in /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins This location is unknown in the 32bit version. But I will concider this as a request to create one. It shouldnt be to hard.
    I trust Microsoft as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat

I'm in my third year at a Lutheran seminary!

Beans
    Hidden!

Is anyone else having problems opening html documents with Iceweasel? It opens like 5 tabs every time I try to open a document. The first one is an error, and the rest are just random websites. Default firefox, on the other hand, works fine.

EDIT:

Ok two other minor problems with Iceweasel...

#1: In the download manager, the "open" button (for files) and the "Open Containing folder" button (right click on a file) don't work. "Remove" and "Properties" on the other hand do work.
    #2: Occassionally I will get a file that automatically opens instead of saving for no reason, here's an example:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/e...ar.gz?download
    Last edited by fatsheep; October 13th, 2006 at 10:36 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Someone on the bug list just told me how to get the icon on the Iceweasel window so I thought I'd pass it a long... All you have to do is copy an image to /usr/local/Iceweasel32/chrome/icons/default/default.xpm. First off, create a directory named "icons" under the chrome folder. Then create a folder named "default" under icons. Now run this command:

sudo cp /usr/share/pixmaps/iceweasel32.png /usr/local/Iceweasel32/chrome/icons/default/default.xpm

Or just put any icon you like in there named as "default.xpm".

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fatsheep View Post
    Someone on the bug list just told me how to get the icon on the Iceweasel window so I thought I'd pass it a long... All you have to do is copy an image to /usr/local/Iceweasel32/chrome/icons/default/default.xpm. First off, create a directory named "icons" under the chrome folder. Then create a folder named "default" under icons. Now run this command:

sudo cp /usr/share/pixmaps/iceweasel32.png /usr/local/Iceweasel32/chrome/icons/default/default.xpm

Or just put any icon you like in there named as "default.xpm".

Thanks fatsheep, I have fixed this in the amd64 version. I added a symbolic link though. So whatever the iceweasel32.png is changed to the little icon is changed to.

Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/share/pixmaps/iceweasel32.png /usr/local/Iceweasel32/chrome/icons/default/default.xpm

Beans

Dear Kilz!

Thanks a lot for your great HowTo and your automated script works wonders to a non-programming user!!

I've a question though... I'm running Ubuntu on my desktop at University where we are connected to the internet via a network... now when I run your script I get the following message when it starts installing the .deb files:

Error parsing proxy URL http://:8080/: Invalid host name.
    dpkg: status database area is locked by another process

I realise this has something to do with the Network Proxy, which on my Desktop computer at the office is set to "Automatic proxy configuration".

I had a similar problem when I was trying to use this script on my Laptop, but was able to get around it by just doing it at home and changing the Network Proxy to "Direct Internet Connection"...

Is there any way to get around this without changing the Network Proxy?

Thanks a lot for you input.

Cheers
    Bjorn

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

kilz, you are a god. thank you for the flash installation how-to

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bjornb View Post
    Dear Kilz!

Thanks a lot for your great HowTo and your automated script works wonders to a non-programming user!!

I've a question though... I'm running Ubuntu on my desktop at University where we are connected to the internet via a network... now when I run your script I get the following message when it starts installing the .deb files:

Error parsing proxy URL http://:8080/: Invalid host name.
    dpkg: status database area is locked by another process

I realise this has something to do with the Network Proxy, which on my Desktop computer at the office is set to "Automatic proxy configuration".

I had a similar problem when I was trying to use this script on my Laptop, but was able to get around it by just doing it at home and changing the Network Proxy to "Direct Internet Connection"...

Is there any way to get around this without changing the Network Proxy?

Thanks a lot for you input.

Cheers
    Bjorn
    Im not sure if there is.

Beans

Kilz, I must post this just to thank you for this How-to. One of the best I saw.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by onon_onon View Post
    Kilz, I must post this just to thank you for this How-to. One of the best I saw.
    Your welcome. This howto and my Wine howto are the main ways I give back to the community. I am always looking to make it better. I just got done improving the install script . I hope it makes installing easier for everyone.

Page 36 of 166 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast