Thread: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

I guess I did a combination of the script and manual install. When the script took me to the Adobe GERMAN website for the flash, I abandoned that install effort and started with the instructions for the manual HowTo. I definitely want everything English on my system. Everything worked great. I have a clean install of Drake 64 and I want to make this browser correct before doing a deep backup.

I log off happy. The next day is when I begin to wonder.

On boot, after username/password -- ubuntu tells me the home folder will be ignored, even though I give it the correct username and password.

I've read every post on this thread. There is one brief mention about the "owner" in user/local/firefox32/plugins

one folder up -- firefox says I'm the owner
    plugins folder -- symlink to /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins
    lib32/firefox32/plugins -- Owner and Group Owner is root for all the plugins this HowTo explains about except for the java. I'm the owner for java plug-in.
    From the Permissions Tab for flash, mPlayer....
    Code:
    Text view: -rwxr-xr-x
    Number view: 1200755
    I'd like to change the owner to my user account to see if this fixes the logon problem. I don't know what all I need to change. The Group? The Owner?

Thanks in advance.

============
    Nevermind. I banged around in the forums. Found out I could reveal hidden files, look at the permissions tab for my User Folder and User /.dmrc and just click the checkmarks. Folder is now 744 and ./dmrc is 644. I boot normal. Great! I like this browser setup better than the Automatix2 Swiftfox because the Firefox32 is upgradeable. It does run slower than the Swiftfox and maybe the preferences in the Firefox32 will fine tune that. Thank you!!!
    Last edited by Unterseeboot_234; December 28th, 2006 at 10:20 AM. Reason: fixed
    "You don't do art because you want to, no, you do art because you have to." -- M. Buonarroti