Page 51 of 166 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

I used the automated install for Firefox 2.0 on Edgy. It hung up a few times while downloading some files and made me reenter my sudo password but in the end it seemed to finish properly. When I try to run firefox from the menu, the little task bar thing comes up that says "Starting.." but then just disappears. Running firefox32 in a terminal gives me these errors:
    Code:
    ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib32/libpangohack.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
    ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib32/libpangohack.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
    /usr/local/firefox32/run-mozilla.sh: 424: /usr/local/firefox32/firefox-bin: not found
    ALSO:
    When clicking on the orange update icon on the top right of my screen, I get the following error:

$ sudo apt-get install -f
    Code:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Correcting dependencies... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      firefox32 ia32-libs libc6-i386 lib32gcc1 ia32-libs-gtk lib32z1 lib32stdc++6
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    The following extra packages will be installed:
      ia32-libs ia32-libs-gtk lib32gcc1 lib32stdc++6 lib32z1 libc6-i386
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      firefox32
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      ia32-libs ia32-libs-gtk lib32gcc1 lib32stdc++6 lib32z1 libc6-i386
    0 upgraded, 6 newly installed, 1 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
    1 not fully installed or removed.
    Need to get 16.4MB/23.8MB of archives.
    After unpacking 63.1MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
    My guess is the installer just did not get everything it needed to? What should I do? Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Hidden!

Same problem here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Exact same problem over here. I've got Beryl (looks like you do too, Pejalo) if that makes a difference. Besides that, I've got a fairly fresh install.
    Laptop ==> Dell Mini 9 :: 2GB RAM :: Ubuntu Netbook Remix Jaunty

Desktop ==> Shuttle SG31G2 V2 :: Primarily Media Center (XBMC)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

nullaresnata and tonyr, I have no idea what caused the errors, but after playing around a bit I seem to have everything working. I may have installed something unneccessary, but this is what I remember doing. If any steps don't work as described, I'd stop the process and post your problem here so someone can help.

First, run 'sudo apt-get install -f' like the software update tells you to (and hit Y). This should fix any errors from Synaptic or the updater, also deinstalling Firefox.

Run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs lib32asound2 lib32ncurses5 ia32-libs-sdl ia32-libs-gtk gsfonts gsfonts-x11 linux32
    as described in the Manual Howto section of this howto to get any packages Firefox might need. I don't know if these are even needed for 2.0, but I did it just to be safe.

This following instructions are taken from the 'automatic' script. It downloads libraries needed for Firefox 2.0, and installs them. It then downloads the browser, installs it, and permits the command firefox32 to be executable.

Code:
    cd ~/Desktop
    sudo wget -c http://home.comcast.net/~ubuntu64user/ia32-lib-firefox-amd64.deb
    sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite ia32-lib-firefox-amd64.deb

sudo wget -c http://home.comcast.net/~next/firefox32-2.0-ubuntu-amd64.deb
    sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/base-plugins/firefox32-2.0-ubuntu-amd64.deb
    sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/firefox32
    At this point Firefox32 should be in your menu under Applications > Internet. Make sure you close all browser windows you might have open, then see if it works. Go to Help > About Mozilla Firefox and it should show 'Linux i686' somewhere. The 32bit version still kept all my installed bookmarks, cookies, even extensions. When I run firefox32 from a terminal, I still get similar errors to the ones posted above, but the window opens.

I then installed Flash 7 and Java using the directions from the manual how-to. The sound seemed to be way off while playing a video in Flash.. I might have forgotten the sound package from the manual how-to. But I remember the sound in youtube videos being terribly off back in the days of 32bit Ubuntu Dapper anyway.

I hope this provides you guys with some kind of direction, let me know whether you get it working!

edit: I just installed Flash 9 and the sound issue seems to be a lot better. Also, Flash 7 wasn't dispalying text correctly, as well as many of the objects in some Flash games I tried. I recommend just installing Flash 9. When you go to this site as described, you want the 'installer for linux' file, not the standalone player.
    Last edited by Pejalo; January 10th, 2007 at 06:59 PM. Reason: minor clarification, Flash 9

Beans

Has anyone else had firefox32 crashing on them? It seems that it only crashes with JavaScript, but I'm not sure if that's the only instance of it crashing. I don't know how to fix it or if I can. Can anyone help me out?

Beans

The script mplayer-plugin, used to install mplayer with all libraries, starts with an error. The second line reads
    md ~/Desktop/install
    This should be
    mkdir ~/Desktop/install

Beans

I am working with edgy 64bit and have used the automatic install script, everything works fine except java, going to an applet page makes the browser crash, and I see the following on the console:
    (firefox-bin:1475): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
    Using the fallback 'C' locale.
    (QFA)Talkback error: Can't initialize.
    current locale is not supported in X11, locale is set to CX locale modifiers are not supported, using defaultINTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: SendRequest: Read of ack failed: 0

System error?:: Success

I tried this chown .. that is proposed on the first page and also some disabling,enabling as proposed somewhere on page 44 of the thread, but no luck. what else could I try?
    thanx

Beans
    Hidden!

Hey Kilz,
    Do you think you could make a version with the ubuntu version?
    Problem with the mozilla one is that it looks like crap with murrine themes
    Hope to hear from you soon, keep up the great work,
    Ex

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I tried using the 64bit firefox with nspluginwrappers and java was crashing badly, so I tried firefox32, however,
    although now flash is working properly, java is still crashing badly...it cannot handle the page and then it shutdown.
    When invoking firefox32 through the shell this is what I get:
    esd: no process killed

(firefox-bin:19813): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
    now that is correct that it does not hurt the browser, but once I open a page with java this is what it
    says:
    current locale is not supported in X11, locale is set to CX locale modifiers are not supported, using defaultINTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: SendRequest: Read of ack failed: 0
    I am running Edgy on Intel Core2Duo. I removed nspluginwrapper and I have still on the system
    the j2re for 64. I think this shouldn't matter.

Any help will be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by alvenegas; January 16th, 2007 at 03:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Okay, after two days of waiting for the author of this thread to answer my previous
    posting, I went scavenging the net for answers and finally got Java running.
    Well, basically this thread is similar to the following Ubuntu documentationpage
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FirefoxAMD64FlashJava

Although there is no large difference between them, I went and grabbed the latest java
    version....this time from Sun (not BlackDown):
    http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/downlo...BundleId=10872

now everything seems to be running fine. However, I still get the following error message:
    (firefox-bin:5815): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
    but it does not affect it too much. I also commented the following line from /usr/local/bin/firefox32
    #export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libpangohack.so.0
    to avoid having the bunch of errors regarding libpangohack.so.0

Hope this works,

Alberto
    Last edited by alvenegas; January 18th, 2007 at 03:46 PM.

Page 51 of 166 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast