Page 96 of 166 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106146 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Thank you very much! The sudo bash command worked like a charm! Thank you! Now I can get back to learning Java.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I get this error, using the automatic script:

Setting up ia32-lib-firefox (0.1)
    3in1: 22: function: not found

I'm running Kubuntu Feisty

EDIT: And I got it running using the manual howto!

Any ideas when this will be out-of-the-box, so that a 64-bit install can install firefox with java more easily? (I'm installing kubuntu on quite a lot of pc's - and I'm switching to i386 if this part remains so relatively hard!)

And why does java work out-of-the-box in konqueror, but not in firefox?
    Last edited by daller; July 17th, 2007 at 08:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by daller View Post
    I get this error, using the automatic script:

Setting up ia32-lib-firefox (0.1)
    3in1: 22: function: not found

I'm running Kubuntu Feisty

EDIT: And I got it running using the manual howto!

Any ideas when this will be out-of-the-box, so that a 64-bit install can install firefox with java more easily? (I'm installing kubuntu on quite a lot of pc's - and I'm switching to i386 if this part remains so relatively hard!)

And why does java work out-of-the-box in konqueror, but not in firefox?
    Konqueror uses the java bin file, not a plugin.
    Is the error during the install of ia32-lib-firefox, or after? Can you post the contents of the terminal that the script is running in from the start? To do this you will have to open a terminal, navigate to the script , then start it with ./3in1
    I trust Microsoft as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat

I'm in my third year at a Lutheran seminary!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hey I hope someone can help me with this, I managed to install firefox fine (great script) and its running well my problem is that I can't get any sound on flash at all. When i try to put in the chown -R command i get this

Code:
    tigg3r@tigg3r-free:~$ chown -R tigg3r:users /home/tigg3r/.macromedia
    chown: changing ownership of `/home/tigg3r/.macromedia/Flash_Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/settings.sol': Operation not permitted
    chown: changing ownership of `/home/tigg3r/.macromedia/Flash_Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/#www.youtube.com/settings.sol': Operation not permitted
    chown: changing ownership of `/home/tigg3r/.macromedia/Flash_Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/#www.youtube.com': Operation not permitted
    chown: changing ownership of `/home/tigg3r/.macromedia/Flash_Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys': Operation not permitted
    chown: changing ownership of `/home/tigg3r/.macromedia/Flash_Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer': Operation not permitted
    chown: changing ownership of `/home/tigg3r/.macromedia/Flash_Player/macromedia.com/support': Operation not permitted
    chown: changing ownership of `/home/tigg3r/.macromedia/Flash_Player/macromedia.com': Operation not permitted
    chown: changing ownership of `/home/tigg3r/.macromedia/Flash_Player/#SharedObjects/GYNW7JED/www.youtube.com/soundData.sol': Operation not permitted
    chown: changing ownership of `/home/tigg3r/.macromedia/Flash_Player/#SharedObjects/GYNW7JED/www.youtube.com': Operation not permitted
    chown: changing ownership of `/home/tigg3r/.macromedia/Flash_Player/#SharedObjects/GYNW7JED': Operation not permitted
    chown: changing ownership of `/home/tigg3r/.macromedia/Flash_Player/#SharedObjects': Operation not permitted
    chown: changing ownership of `/home/tigg3r/.macromedia/Flash_Player': Operation not permitted
    chown: changing ownership of `/home/tigg3r/.macromedia': Operation not permitted
    I have tried the two fixes suggested along with the one on this post all to no avail. Thanks to anyone who can help and apologies if I manage to confuse anyone else.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    Konqueror uses the java bin file, not a plugin.
    Is the error during the install of ia32-lib-firefox, or after? Can you post the contents of the terminal that the script is running in from the start? To do this you will have to open a terminal, navigate to the script , then start it with ./3in1
    Well, I've decided to switch back to 32-bit - and can not be of any help with this, sorry!

I'm installing Kubuntu on a LOT of machines, and just need the simple solution!

Thanks, anyway!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by daller View Post
    Well, I've decided to switch back to 32-bit - and can not be of any help with this, sorry!

I'm installing Kubuntu on a LOT of machines, and just need the simple solution!

Thanks, anyway!
    There is no simple solution regardless of what bit you install. You are soon going to learn that there is no fast way to install to a lot of machines. Linux requires users to do some setup.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by _tigg_ View Post
    Hey I hope someone can help me with this, I managed to install firefox fine (great script) and its running well my problem is that I can't get any sound on flash at all. When i try to put in the chown -R command i get this

Code:
    tigg3r@tigg3r-free:~$ chown -R tigg3r:users /home/tigg3r/.macromedia
    chown: changing ownership of `/home/tigg3r/.macromedia/Flash_Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/settings.sol': Operation not permitted
    chown: changing ownership of `/home/tigg3r/.macromedia/Flash_Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/#www.youtube.com/settings.sol': Operation not permitted
    chown: changing ownership of `/home/tigg3r/.macromedia/Flash_Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/#www.youtube.com': Operation not permitted
    chown: changing ownership of `/home/tigg3r/.macromedia/Flash_Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys': Operation not permitted
    chown: changing ownership of `/home/tigg3r/.macromedia/Flash_Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer': Operation not permitted
    chown: changing ownership of `/home/tigg3r/.macromedia/Flash_Player/macromedia.com/support': Operation not permitted
    chown: changing ownership of `/home/tigg3r/.macromedia/Flash_Player/macromedia.com': Operation not permitted
    chown: changing ownership of `/home/tigg3r/.macromedia/Flash_Player/#SharedObjects/GYNW7JED/www.youtube.com/soundData.sol': Operation not permitted
    chown: changing ownership of `/home/tigg3r/.macromedia/Flash_Player/#SharedObjects/GYNW7JED/www.youtube.com': Operation not permitted
    chown: changing ownership of `/home/tigg3r/.macromedia/Flash_Player/#SharedObjects/GYNW7JED': Operation not permitted
    chown: changing ownership of `/home/tigg3r/.macromedia/Flash_Player/#SharedObjects': Operation not permitted
    chown: changing ownership of `/home/tigg3r/.macromedia/Flash_Player': Operation not permitted
    chown: changing ownership of `/home/tigg3r/.macromedia': Operation not permitted
    I have tried the two fixes suggested along with the one on this post all to no avail. Thanks to anyone who can help and apologies if I manage to confuse anyone else.
    Try
    Code:
    sudo chown -R tigg3r:users /home/tigg3r/.macromedia

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thank you Kilz for your extended (and maintained) How-To

Looking to fix my broken java in FF32 (for the life of me, I cannot figure why it broke - it used to be fine after installing it with Simple64) I found that your manual installation suggestions did the trick... finally!

One remark: after the manual (re-)installation of Firefox, Swiftweasel and the latest Java packages, following your instructions, I find I cannot donwload anything to my Desktop nor delete anything from it (including the left-over jre1.6.0_02 directory)... seems now both my Desktop folder and the java installation folder belong to root

I'm a relative n00b but found that
    Code:
    sudo chown <my_username> Desktop
    will restore ownership to me and
    Code:
    sudo rm -r Desktop/jre1.6.0_02
    will remove the last traces of the procedure.

Please advice if I did something wrong here.

--ravan

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by RavanH View Post
    Thank you Kilz for your extended (and maintained) How-To

Looking to fix my broken java in FF32 (for the life of me, I cannot figure why it broke - it used to be fine after installing it with Simple64) I found that your manual installation suggestions did the trick... finally!

One remark: after the manual (re-)installation of Firefox, Swiftweasel and the latest Java packages, following your instructions, I find I cannot donwload anything to my Desktop nor delete anything from it (including the left-over jre1.6.0_02 directory)... seems now both my Desktop folder and the java installation folder belong to root

I'm a relative n00b but found that
    Code:
    sudo chown <my_username> Desktop
    will restore ownership to me and
    Code:
    sudo rm -r Desktop/jre1.6.0_02
    will remove the last traces of the procedure.

Please advice if I did something wrong here.

--ravan
    Your welcome, I plan on taking care of this thread until the major plugins are working safely in 64bit firefox, the next java release from sun should do it. Im not quite sure how your home folder came to belong to root, but you did the correct thing to fix it.
    Last edited by Kilz; July 18th, 2007 at 05:22 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    Try
    Code:
    sudo chown -R tigg3r:users /home/tigg3r/.macromedia
    Ok so I tried that but when I enter it in the terminal nothing else comes up I get this. All the other parts of the instillation work fine, it's just this and I still can't get any sound from youtube, Its not my sound in general, I almost deafened myself double checking that it worked.
    Code:
    tigg3r@tigg3r-free:~/Desktop$ sudo chown -R tigg3r:users /home/tigg3r/.macromedia
    tigg3r@tigg3r-free:~/Desktop$
    Would I be better off removing it completely and trying again or something.
    Last edited by _tigg_; July 18th, 2007 at 08:47 AM.

Page 96 of 166 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106146 ... LastLast