Page 92 of 166 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Beans

Re: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Excellent script does what it promises. Saved me a lot of time as newbie Thanks!!

Beans

I run fiesty amd64 and ran the latest script with ff32bit and java and flash but java does not work.

I had to download the latest 1.6 version self extracting 32bit binary from sun then run that and create a link from the ff32 folder like the script does, and then java worked perfectly, but the package in the repos that the script installs does not work properly for me. When i try to verify the installation on java.com, it says "oops you have java 1.5 update 11...please download 1.6", so it does think I have Java, but two separate sites that I use do not start the applet at all. 1.6 fixed this.

Beans

Wink Re: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    Yes you could compile the theme engine yourself. But if the engine exists as a 32bit package its just as easy to extract the files and copy them into place in /usr/lib32.
    I posted a package a few posts back that installs a 32bit theme engine to 64bit to help the new users that Ubuntu has a never ending supply of.
    Worked like a charm. Thanks for you time and of course the script

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Your script for "Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64" worked great for me (on the second try!). I'm not sure why the first attempt didn't work, maybe it was because I already had a terminal window open when I ran the script but all's well that end's well.

Another satisfied newbie here!
    Dimension E520 : 2.66GHz Core2Quad : 8GiB 800MHz DDR2 RAM : EVGA 9800GT 512MiB : WD 300G VelociRaptor HD
    Sony VAIO SR290 : 2.8GHz Core2Duo : 6GiB 800MHz DDR2 RAM

Beans
    Distro

Ok, I'm tired of surfing around/dealing with these problems I've been having so I've decided to finally post.
    First off, I'd like to thank you Kilz for throwing all this together. It has seemed to work for a lot of people, did for a large part me. I'd be in a much worse spot if it weren't for your work.

On to the not so fun stuff.

(this first one I haven't searched a whole lot about, and the behavior is the same in the 64-bit version of firefox, but it first occurred when I was trying to fix firefox32, and I figured someone around here might know the answer)
    First off, and I'm not sure how it happened, but my browser recently decided to show all my bookmark and search engine favicons as blank images. It doesn't matter whether I view the page, they do not update.

The second problem I am having is that even though I applied the fix supplied here: Re: Opening downloaded files from firefox32
    Files still won't open when I choose "open with".

Third, even though I've applied the Appearance fix (which did improve the appearance) when do something like choose to download a file to a directory, when I start browsing for a directory to download to I get this
    Code:
    Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon for stock: Unable to load image-loading module: /usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/svg_loader.so: libart_lgpl_2.so.2: Cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Last but not least, I get the
    Code:
    Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.Using the fallback 'C' locale.
    I've performed the suggested fix (re-installing ia32-libs-gtk and then running the script) several times, it has never worked. Firefox32 still loads and runs perfectly other than these problems.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Favicons.png 
Views:	224 
Size:	136.8 KB 
ID:	36833   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gnome icons.png 
Views:	234 
Size:	209.6 KB 
ID:	36834  

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by atlanta800 View Post
    Ok, I'm tired of surfing around/dealing with these problems I've been having so I've decided to finally post.
    First off, I'd like to thank you Kilz for throwing all this together. It has seemed to work for a lot of people, did for a large part me. I'd be in a much worse spot if it weren't for your work.

On to the not so fun stuff.

(this first one I haven't searched a whole lot about, and the behavior is the same in the 64-bit version of firefox, but it first occurred when I was trying to fix firefox32, and I figured someone around here might know the answer)
    First off, and I'm not sure how it happened, but my browser recently decided to show all my bookmark and search engine favicons as blank images. It doesn't matter whether I view the page, they do not update.

The second problem I am having is that even though I applied the fix supplied here: Re: Opening downloaded files from firefox32
    Files still won't open when I choose "open with".

Third, even though I've applied the Appearance fix (which did improve the appearance) when do something like choose to download a file to a directory, when I start browsing for a directory to download to I get this
    Code:
    Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon for stock: Unable to load image-loading module: /usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/svg_loader.so: libart_lgpl_2.so.2: Cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Last but not least, I get the
    Code:
    Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.Using the fallback 'C' locale.
    I've performed the suggested fix (re-installing ia32-libs-gtk and then running the script) several times, it has never worked. Firefox32 still loads and runs perfectly other than these problems.
    Please turn off all desktop effects like Berly or Compiz and then tell me if the problem still happens.
    I trust Microsoft as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat

I'm in my third year at a Lutheran seminary!

Beans

Thanks dude. That was great!

Beans

For ubuntu 7.04 firefox only.

sudo rm -rfd /usr/lib32/java32

cd ~/Desktop
    sudo bash
    chmod 777 ./jre-6u1-linux-i586.bin
    ./jre-6u1-linux-i586.bin

mkdir /usr/local/java32
    cp -r -p ./jre1.6.0_01/* /usr/local/java32
    cd /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/
    ln -s /usr/local/java32/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so ./

sudo chown -R mitchell:users /home/mitchell/.java
    sudo chown -R mitchell:users /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/

Change user name to your name.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by KingHanco View Post
    For ubuntu 7.04 firefox only.

sudo rm -rfd /usr/lib32/java32

cd ~/Desktop
    sudo bash
    chmod 777 ./jre-6u1-linux-i586.bin
    ./jre-6u1-linux-i586.bin

mkdir /usr/local/java32
    cp -r -p ./jre1.6.0_01/* /usr/local/java32
    cd /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/
    ln -s /usr/local/java32/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so ./

sudo chown -R mitchell:users /home/mitchell/.java
    sudo chown -R mitchell:users /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/

Change user name to your name.
    I would perfer to keep using packages from the repositories. These get updated whereas the bin files from sun require the user to check and see if they should manualy update.
    Second off, I personally dont like java 6. Please give me a link to any site that requires it.
    I trust Microsoft as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat

I'm in my third year at a Lutheran seminary!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    Please turn off all desktop effects like Berly or Compiz and then tell me if the problem still happens.
    The favicons seemed to have reappeared upon rebooting (amazing what that'll do...). However, turning off Beryl/Emerald (switching to Metacity/gtk-window-decorator) yields no changes to all the other problems.

Page 92 of 166 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142 ... LastLast