Page 81 of 166 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Beans

Question Re: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

I did what you said and it worked great. Please tell me how to start Firefox32. The ubuntu icon on top of the screen starts the original x86_64 version. It must have put it somewhere.

Regards Ian.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Quote Originally Posted by stanley82 View Post
    I did what you said and it worked great. Please tell me how to start Firefox32. The ubuntu icon on top of the screen starts the original x86_64 version. It must have put it somewhere.

Regards Ian.
    It in the Applications > Internet menu as Firefox32 Web browser. You can drag it from there to the taskbar if you want.
    I trust Microsoft as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat

I'm in my third year at a Lutheran seminary!

Beans

That is what I am running right now and Help about returns

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20060601 Firefox/2.0.0.3 (Ubuntu-edgy)

and I am not able to get CBC newcasts because I am missing a plugin. The install script worked well and I have a stack of *.deb files in a folder Desktop/Browser_install/base_plugins. I am new to Linux though I have messed about with unix and djgpp bash under dos but I do not have the basics of where stuff gets put other than in bin. I assume that I have a second version of Firefox compiled with 32-bit compiler and I need to drag a shortcut onto my desktop.

Regards Ian.

Beans
    Distro

That is what I am running right now and Help about returns

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20060601 Firefox/2.0.0.3 (Ubuntu-edgy)

and I am not able to get CBC newcasts because I am missing a plugin. The install script worked well and I have a stack of *.deb files in a folder Desktop/Browser_install/base_plugins. I am new to Linux though I have messed about with unix and djgpp bash under dos but I do not have the basics of where stuff gets put other than in bin. I assume that I have a second version of Firefox compiled with 32-bit compiler and I need to drag a shortcut onto my desktop.

Regards Ian.
    First off, you should not have a folder on your desktop. The last thing the script dose is clean up after itself. As you may be finding out, some of those files are hard to remove. Did you happen to create the Browser_install folder and place the script into it? If so that is your problem. The script needs to be in the folder it extracts in, that needs to be sitting on your desktop.

Beans

Thanks for the input. Removing was as simple as
    sudo -i
    rm -r MY-wrong_Base_folder
    I re-did your script and now have firefox32 where you said it should be.
    www.cbc.ca and www.cnn.com use Mplayer or something and that comes up but seems to be dithering all over the place. The script ended after edgy realplayer. Wondering if my previous attempt at installation has made a mess of the system?

I'll have a better look when I free up some time.
    Thanks for all your help. Ian.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the input. Removing was as simple as
    sudo -i
    rm -r MY-wrong_Base_folder
    I re-did your script and now have firefox32 where you said it should be.
    www.cbc.ca and www.cnn.com use Mplayer or something and that comes up but seems to be dithering all over the place. The script ended after edgy realplayer. Wondering if my previous attempt at installation has made a mess of the system?

I'll have a better look when I free up some time.
    Thanks for all your help. Ian.
    My install script doesnt install realplayer, what script ended with realplayer?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    Sorry, but some themes are not supported. My sole goal here is to give plugin functionality. I have tried to make things look good, but sometimes, it doesnt happen.
    If you're having trouble with KDE themes in AMD64 Kubuntu, try the following method:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2674206

Beans

Well my firefox32 does not look like crap. In fact to me it looks normal. I did try the first get from that link and that did not do any thing after it had installed whatever. What I get in media player for firefox is ¨ No URI handler implemented for "mms". So that is not what I need to hear. Any ideas? May be I should junk Linux64 and install Linux32, what do you suggest?

Regards Ian.

Beans
    Distro

Well my firefox32 does not look like crap. In fact to me it looks normal. I did try the first get from that link and that did not do any thing after it had installed whatever. What I get in media player for firefox is ¨ No URI handler implemented for "mms". So that is not what I need to hear. Any ideas? May be I should junk Linux64 and install Linux32, what do you suggest?

Regards Ian.
    I was able to go to the cbc site and view some footage. See attached screenshot. What version of the script did you install (file name) What version of Ubuntu are you running, also is it Ubuntu, Kubuntu, or Xubuntu?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	285.6 KB 
ID:	32858  

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan H View Post
    I know it adds the 32-bit version, I'm saying the 32-bit is now exactly like the 64-bit version. I ran the file /usr/local/firefox32/firefox in the terminal and all it did was launch the 64-bit version.

-Ryan H

Edit: I used your installer and it installed everything perfectly. Only it currupted the application installer. The one for downloading updates. I reinstalled it via
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install -f
    , but I'm not sure what your script did to it.

-Ryan H
    I had the same problem and running the above piece of code has sloved it, but I don't really understand why since the output from apt-get was just
    Code:
     Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    which seems to indicate that nothing was done, strange huh???

I used the automatic installer for Ubuntu 7.04 according to the instructions and installed both firefox32, flash and java.

Page 81 of 166 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131 ... LastLast