Page 8 of 166 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Thanks for the great install script. I have been really disapointed at the lack of Multi-Media options for the AMD64, but this fixes a lot of my needs. I made one little change to your swiftfox script, so that if ~/Desktop/sf-plugins does not exist it creates it instead of croaking.

Here is the patch:
    Code:
    1a2,4
    >
    > DIR=~/Desktop/sf-plugins
    >
    3c6,10
    < cd ~/Desktop/sf-plugins
    ---
    >
    > if [ ! -d $DIR ]; then
    >     mkdir $DIR
    > fi
    > cd $DIR
    Thanks again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Lonthong View Post
    Hello Kilz, thanks for this detail howto.
    However, I am experiencing problem with flash at adobe.com whereby it stayed on top of tab menu that I pointed with mouse. Exact same problem as someone else few pages back. Is there any solution for this already??

I also made launcher for firefox32 on top taskbar - next to e-mail icon (I also got an entry on applications - internet - firefox32 webbrowser
    Running firefox 32 is no problem at all. But if I click the icon for firefox 64, it also launched firefox32 and of course java/flash/mplayer are properly displayed as it supposed to be.
    Samething happenned if I click applications-internet-firefox webbrowser (i.e original firefox 64). Any idea of what causing this?

EDIT.
    I just turned on my computer, strange enough, now all icons launched firefox 64 (V.1.5.0.5). What I installed was firefox32 v 1.5.0.6.
    Check the java page & sure enough it could not be displayed properly
    The launcher command should be firefox32 not firefox 32.
    I trust Microsoft as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat

I'm in my third year at a Lutheran seminary!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by drlock View Post
    Thanks for the great install script. I have been really disapointed at the lack of Multi-Media options for the AMD64, but this fixes a lot of my needs. I made one little change to your swiftfox script, so that if ~/Desktop/sf-plugins does not exist it creates it instead of croaking.

Here is the patch:
    Code:
    1a2,4
    >
    > DIR=~/Desktop/sf-plugins
    >
    3c6,10
    < cd ~/Desktop/sf-plugins
    ---
    >
    > if [ ! -d $DIR ]; then
    >     mkdir $DIR
    > fi
    > cd $DIR
    Thanks again
    Thanks, I think the sf-1.5.0.6-2-plugins.tar.gz eztracts to a sf-plugins directory. But I have made the changes in case someone removes the script from it, deletes the folder its in, or extracts it to someplace other than the desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Anyone have any idea why the mplayer plugin will supposedly download 99% of a file, then just hang? When I right click the plugin in Firefox and select play, mplayer spits out the error "mplayer execv: no such file or directory."
    Last edited by QuartersMostly; August 9th, 2006 at 03:53 AM. Reason: slight clarification

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by QuartersMostly View Post
    Anyone have any idea why the mplayer plugin will supposedly download 99% of a file, then just hang? When I right click the plugin in Firefox and select play, mplayer spits out the error "mplayer execv: no such file or directory."
    You may need to install mplayer, While the script should do that its possible it couldnt download it for some reason. Mplayer is alaiable in Synaptic or use
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install mplayer

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post

Liferea is in the repositories. You can install it with Synaptic. Take a look here to learn about how to use Synaptic. You will also have to enable the universe repositories.
    i refered to liferea 32bits , because mi liferea for amd64 crashes with flash posts on feeds :S

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    You may need to install mplayer, While the script should do that its possible it couldnt download it for some reason. Mplayer is alaiable in Synaptic or use
    I can't believe that was it! Thanks!

Now to get Totem to work... I'll have to look into this a bit.

Beans

Great HowTo. Worked perfectly. But my only concern now is the 64 bit Firefox. When I open web pages from outside (for example Gaim), It uses the 64 bit version. I don't want that to happen. How can I change the default browser to be my 32 bit version?

Beans

Firefox, Flash, Java

This how-to is as how-to's should be. I have only recently converted back to a *nix box after a 5-year hiatus. It was fairly disappointing to fall in love with Ubuntu so quickly, only to realize my new hardware made core activities retro-impossible. So many forums claim any flash/java support within Firefox on the AMD64 platform is impossible, but (as usual) there are 100 nay-saying fools for every one person who knows what's up. I only wish there was a way to reach all the disappointed people who turned their backs on Linux and Ubuntu out of frustration over this issue. I just might have to mirror this. Thanks! Great work.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
    Great HowTo. Worked perfectly. But my only concern now is the 64 bit Firefox. When I open web pages from outside (for example Gaim), It uses the 64 bit version. I don't want that to happen. How can I change the default browser to be my 32 bit version?
    Yes there is a way, This will replace the 64bit firefox completly. I have done this myself, but dont suggest it to others unless they are sure.
    Code:
    sudo rm -rfd /usr/lib/firefox/*
    sudo rm -f /usr/bin/firefox
    sudo cp -r -p  /usr/local/firefox32/* /usr/lib/firefox/
    sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/firefox32 /usr/bin/firefox
    If you followed the manual howto you could alternetly setup firefox in /usr/lib/firefox arter running the first 2 command above and when creating the launcher replacing firefox32 with firefox. But I would only do that if starting out from nothing.
    Each time you upgrade firefox32 you will have to do this.
    Code:
    sudo rm -rfd /usr/lib/firefox/*
    sudo cp -r -p  /usr/local/firefox32/* /usr/lib/firefox/

Page 8 of 166 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast