Page 62 of 166 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Thanks, i had ff32 installed in edgy, (from your instructions here) and was pretty impressed, i actually think the 32bit was faster... I just want to make sure that I am not going to frack things up by blacklisting ipv6... but i'm gonna try it and see what happens.

It is funny that the 64 and 32 bit programs are basically the same but the plugins don't interchange. it seems like there should be a way to hack a fix script that would either make the plugins think it is a 32 bit system, or to make the program think the plugins are 64bit....

Well, I like everything else about feisty so far...

~Ben
    ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO TUX

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hey Kilz, thanks again, I blacklisted ipv6 and now ff32 runs ok. Actually I would venture a guess it is about 50% faster than ff64 with ipv6 allowed... at least in terms of lag waitig for a site to begin to load.
    Flash works great, no sound lag or any of the issues I had with edgy...
    java... not so much... some sites that use java kill the ff session altogether...
    wmp 9... Is there a way to get the codecs? mplayer doesn't seem to like it, and the plugin wizard doesn't seem to notice...

cheers ~Ben

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by wncben View Post
    Hey Kilz, thanks again, I blacklisted ipv6 and now ff32 runs ok. Actually I would venture a guess it is about 50% faster than ff64 with ipv6 allowed... at least in terms of lag waitig for a site to begin to load.
    Flash works great, no sound lag or any of the issues I had with edgy...
    java... not so much... some sites that use java kill the ff session altogether...
    wmp 9... Is there a way to get the codecs? mplayer doesn't seem to like it, and the plugin wizard doesn't seem to notice...

cheers ~Ben
    the java problem is known. It was discussed a few posts before your first one. Its also mentioned in the feisty section on the first post. The older java in the Edgy script doesnt work well with feisty.
    I trust Microsoft as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat

I'm in my third year at a Lutheran seminary!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    What version did you run, the old or new one for Edgy? By any chance did you take the script out of the folder it extracts in before you ran it?

Sorry for late reply.... was busy

I have used latest script that was in your initial post... and I have executed it from the directory it created on desktop, as per instructions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

the java problem is known. It was discussed a few posts before your first one. Its also mentioned in the feisty section on the first post. The older java in the Edgy script doesnt work well with feisty.
    Actually I installed java via the manual instructions from the first post, in the first place, and it seems to be working for some sites that require it, such as ebay, but other sites, like webchatrooms, kill the ff window... I use Xchat, so that is not a big deal... I think I need to uninstall all the java including the 1.4 that seems to be the default (blackdown? I haven't really dug into it yet) and try reinstalling it manually...

The bigger problem is Mplayer...
    I am not able to get it to play anything online, I thought it was just windows media player but quicktime and realplayer movies all act the same: I thought that feisty was s'posed to automaticaly install all the restricted codecs etc, but it seems like there aren't any accessable to mplayer... I get the mplayer logo and sometimes a buffering status bar, but at 99% it just stops... I know that this is an older problem, but I am not familiar enough with linux to try to fix this in feisty on my own... Any ideas?

Thanks~Ben

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Actually I installed java via the manual instructions from the first post, in the first place, and it seems to be working for some sites that require it, such as ebay, but other sites, like webchatrooms, kill the ff window... I use Xchat, so that is not a big deal... I think I need to uninstall all the java including the 1.4 that seems to be the default (blackdown? I haven't really dug into it yet) and try reinstalling it manually...
    IRC applets have always crashed , not sure why, but its an old problem.

The bigger problem is Mplayer...
    I am not able to get it to play anything online, I thought it was just windows media player but quicktime and realplayer movies all act the same: I thought that feisty was s'posed to automaticaly install all the restricted codecs etc, but it seems like there aren't any accessable to mplayer... I get the mplayer logo and sometimes a buffering status bar, but at 99% it just stops... I know that this is an older problem, but I am not familiar enough with linux to try to fix this in feisty on my own... Any ideas?

Thanks~Ben
    I think it has to do with the fact that its using a mplayer compiled for Edgy, Edgy did the same thing when we used a Dapper mplayer. I will be working on a fix as soon as Feisty is released.
    I trust Microsoft as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat

I'm in my third year at a Lutheran seminary!

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

The latest set of updates broke ff32 on my system.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

And the next update fixed it. Now I can get my YouTube fix again....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

... I will be working on a fix as soon as Feisty is released.
    Any hints on how to get mplayer working in the meantime?

Also, some websites load kinda funny, the lucasarts site for example, for some reason part of the page either doesn't load, or at least doesn't display, it seems sort of like an easrlier post where for some reason menu items were displaying behind part of a website instead of on top, but in this case that part of the page is blank... Is it a problem with java? should I remove all the java on my system and try to reinstall it? if so, what do i need to remove? Do I need to keep the blackdown java for anything or are there some things dependent on it?

Thanks

~Ben

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Any hints on how to get mplayer working in the meantime?
    I made mplayer work in Feisty by reinstalling all the mplayer related packages (probably just mplayer-mozilla was really necessary, but I just checked them all) after installing firefox32. Has worked great ever since.

Page 62 of 166 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast