Page 57 of 166 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Hi,

I'm running Edgy (previously used this same method to run Firefox on Dapper and it worked beautifully).

However now, when I encounter certain sites (running Java I believe) Firefox simply closes.

I've tried reinstalling Java and using a previous release but to no avail. I'd be grateful if someone could shed some light on fixing this error.

I get this error:
    (firefox-bin:6998): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
    Using the fallback 'C' locale.
    (QFA)Talkback error: Can't initialize.
    PLUGIN ERROR
    Java process caught exception: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError

java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
    at sun.plugin.JavaRunTime.initEnvironment(JavaRunTime .java:60)
    at sun.plugin.navig.motif.Plugin.doit(Plugin.java:130 )
    at sun.plugin.navig.motif.Plugin.start(Plugin.java:10 3)
    Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
    at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.registerFontPropert iesFonts(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:627)
    at sun.java2d.SunGraphicsEnvironment.initTerminalName s(SunGraphicsEnvironment.java:1127)
    at sun.java2d.SunGraphicsEnvironment.initCompositeFon ts(SunGraphicsEnvironment.java:859)
    at sun.java2d.SunGraphicsEnvironment.access$300(SunGr aphicsEnvironment.java:53)
    at sun.java2d.SunGraphicsEnvironment$1.run(SunGraphic sEnvironment.java:201)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at sun.java2d.SunGraphicsEnvironment.<init>(SunGraphi csEnvironment.java:85)
    at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.<init>(X11GraphicsE nvironment.java:163)
    at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInsta nce0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInsta nce(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:39)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newI nstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
    at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Construc tor.java:274)
    at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:308)
    at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:261)
    at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvir onment(GraphicsEnvironment.java:62)
    at java.awt.Window.init(Window.java:231)
    at java.awt.Window.<init>(Window.java:275)
    at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:401)
    at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:366)
    at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.<clinit>(AppletViewer.java :105)
    ... 3 more
    Java process: caught exception from sun.plugin.navig.motif.Plugin.start
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
    at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.registerFontPropert iesFonts(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:627)
    at sun.java2d.SunGraphicsEnvironment.initTerminalName s(SunGraphicsEnvironment.java:1127)
    at sun.java2d.SunGraphicsEnvironment.initCompositeFon ts(SunGraphicsEnvironment.java:859)
    at sun.java2d.SunGraphicsEnvironment.access$300(SunGr aphicsEnvironment.java:53)
    at sun.java2d.SunGraphicsEnvironment$1.run(SunGraphic sEnvironment.java:201)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at sun.java2d.SunGraphicsEnvironment.<init>(SunGraphi csEnvironment.java:85)
    at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.<init>(X11GraphicsE nvironment.java:163)
    at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInsta nce0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInsta nce(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:39)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newI nstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
    at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Construc tor.java:274)
    at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:308)
    at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:261)
    at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvir onment(GraphicsEnvironment.java:62)
    at java.awt.Window.init(Window.java:231)
    at java.awt.Window.<init>(Window.java:275)
    at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:401)
    at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:366)
    at sun.plugin.viewer.LifeCycleManager.destroyCachedAp pletPanels(LifeCycleManager.java:229)
    at sun.plugin.navig.motif.Plugin.onExit(Plugin.java:4 09)
    at sun.plugin.navig.motif.Plugin.doit(Plugin.java:399 )
    at sun.plugin.navig.motif.Plugin.start(Plugin.java:10 3)
    INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: Could not read ack from child process
    System error?:: Resource temporarily unavailable
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Seriously, Ubuntu devs. What is up with Flash? Can I or can I not use YouTube out of the box, and where is the (Just Work) button? Thanks in advance.

I'm on Feisty Fawn Hurd 5 by the way. It IS fast. GG there.

rhY

PS I'd rather not surf back here, so an email to here would be nice, since no previous button existed: rhy@leperkhanz.com

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Has nothing to do with the Ubuntu devs, Adobe/Macromedia/Whoever has thus far declined to release a 64 bit linux version of Flash player. I wouldn't be opposed to integration of a script like this into Ubuntu though, or better yet coming with this stuff installed by default.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by crhylove View Post
    Seriously, Ubuntu devs. What is up with Flash? Can I or can I not use YouTube out of the box, and where is the (Just Work) button? Thanks in advance.

I'm on Feisty Fawn Hurd 5 by the way. It IS fast. GG there.

rhY

PS I'd rather not surf back here, so an email to here would be nice, since no previous button existed: rhy@leperkhanz.com
    Until Feisty is a release I will not be working on making the script 100% compatible. I am not a Ubuntu developer, just a user. At this point Feisty is still in development and a lot of bugs need to be fixed.
    I also tend not to email anyone. That is unless you dont mind an email from my spam trap address, and dont count on an answer to any replies.
    I trust Microsoft as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat

I'm in my third year at a Lutheran seminary!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by russell.h View Post
    Has nothing to do with the Ubuntu devs, Adobe/Macromedia/Whoever has thus far declined to release a 64 bit linux version of Flash player. I wouldn't be opposed to integration of a script like this into Ubuntu though, or better yet coming with this stuff installed by default.
    Dont hold your breath waiting for the Ubuntu developers to make a 32bit Firefox and plugins avilable, or default (like SuSE). Even after showing it can be done and wasting about a week on the mailing list trying to convince them to do it last September for Edgy, we still have a 64bit browser. They are more concerned that Flash is proprietary, and that you may run proprietary plugins. Same thing with Wine, they write off giving you an open source application because you might want to run something propretary with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post

Automated Install
    This page will be making more than just Firefox avilable. To do that some changes were nessasary.
    First you need to make sure the repositories are enabled.
    Second, install the Base-plugin script
    The browser install files below can install other Firefox varients and are also used to upgrade to new versions.

Browser Install Script
    This script allows you to choose the browser you want to install from the ones on this page. It also lets you choose if you want to install the plugins by asking before the plugin is installed. You only have to run this script once. The script needs to be ran from the folder that extracts. That folder should also be on your Desktop. After running this script once you can install any of the other browsers below by double clicking on its deb file.
    Browser + Base Script Download = base-plugins-browsers-0-5.tar.gz
    Edgy users try this new script with an Mplayer plugin option for Edgy. Please leave a post to tell me if everything went ok if you use the Edgy script.
    I have used this script for Edgy, but it failed when browser installation started with code
    Code:
    Setting up ia32-lib-firefox (0.1) ...
    base-plugins: 13: function: not found

I have completed install by reading through the script and copy&paste lines. As you know line 13 introduces new variable to the script and it is not done correctly:
    Code:
    function strinput {
     unset refstr
     echo -n "$1"
     read refstr
    }
    I am not programmer, but I can understand code... so you will have to figure it out

Also, add path to the SUN Java plugin 1.5.0 since it works, and remove that 1.4.2 repo package.

That is all from me, I got it running (FF/Flash/Java) but with Java from SUN.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DraxNS View Post
    I have used this script for Edgy, but it failed when browser installation started with code
    Code:
    Setting up ia32-lib-firefox (0.1) ...
    base-plugins: 13: function: not found
    What version did you run, the old or new one for Edgy? By any chance did you take the script out of the folder it extracts in before you ran it?
    Last edited by Kilz; March 11th, 2007 at 12:12 AM.

Beans

After following your technique, I ran firefox with command line to see what happens in the background. I went to a website that requires jre and I received the following.
    Code:
    LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/local/java32/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so [/usr/local/java32/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32]

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by novavon View Post
    After following your technique, I ran firefox with command line to see what happens in the background. I went to a website that requires jre and I received the following.
    Code:
    LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/local/java32/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so [/usr/local/java32/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32]
    Ummmm What version of the script did you install, what version of Ubuntu are you running?

Beans

To get around IPv6 issues in Feisty, rather than disabling IPv6 by blacklisting the module, you can actually use the firefox "network.dns.disableIPv6" option (accessible through about:config). It is set to false by default. Set it to true and everything starts working.

Page 57 of 166 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast