Page 5 of 166 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

This is strange I believe. I downloaded and installed the plugin for Acrobat and now is the default option for firefox32. Yet, whenever I select to view a pdf file with acroread it does not open a window with the pdf file.

By the way, I tracked down the following when I open firefox from a shell:
    Code:
    $ firefox32
    ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib32/libpangohack.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
    ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib32/libpangohack.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
    I changed permissions of the /usr/lib32/libpangohack.so.0.0 (where the link points) to 666 and still the error arises. But I really don't care about this.

Anyway, in order to fix my acrobat-plugin problem, is there a way of uninstalling those "forced-architecture" installations, since I can't find them with Synaptic?

Thanks again for your time (and of course the detailed HOW-TO)
    - dimis -

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by dimis View Post
    This is strange I believe. I downloaded and installed the plugin for Acrobat and now is the default option for firefox32. Yet, whenever I select to view a pdf file with acroread it does not open a window with the pdf file.

By the way, I tracked down the following when I open firefox from a shell:

I changed permissions of the /usr/lib32/libpangohack.so.0.0 (where the link points) to 666 and still the error arises. But I really don't care about this.

Anyway, in order to fix my acrobat-plugin problem, is there a way of uninstalling those "forced-architecture" installations, since I can't find them with Synaptic?

Thanks again for your time (and of course the detailed HOW-TO)
    - dimis -
    Hi
    Good because the "object cant be preloaded" errors are best ignored. It has nothing to do with why the acrobat plugin isnt working.
    There are a number of reasons the plugin may not be working. Are you sure the /usr/lib/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so file exists?
    Did you do both commands
    Code:
    sudo cp -r -p /usr/lib/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so  /usr/local/firefox32/plugins/
    and this one changing <username> for your username?
    Code:
    sudo chown <username>:users /usr/local/firefox32/plugins/nppdf.so
    Anyway, if you want to uninstall the plugin package the command is.
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -r mozilla-acroread
    I trust Microsoft as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat

I'm in my third year at a Lutheran seminary!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Just wanted to write in to thank Kilz for the java/flash script. I am a total linux beginner, having switched from XP about a week ago, and it was really helpful. Anything similar for NVIDIA driver support out there that you know of?
    Thanks again,
    HI

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for the great how to, one question though, after installing the mplayer plug-in, whenever i try to view a video a mplayer plug-in screen pops up or is embedded saying buffering, when it's done nothing happens, or sometimes firefox crashes. Any ideas?

Beans

I tried using your script and while I was able to install a lot of code to /usr/home/Firefox32. A lot of it was everything I had in my downloads folder. What is the command to remove everything and start over? Thanks

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Byers View Post
    I tried using your script and while I was able to install a lot of code to /usr/home/Firefox32. A lot of it was everything I had in my downloads folder. What is the command to remove everything and start over? Thanks
    The script installs firefox and plugins to /usr/local/firefox32 The command to dete it is.
    Code:
    sudo rm -rfd /usr/local/firefox32
    If you installed it to a different folder you will have to edit. You might want to run the automated setup script to avoid problems.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by futureman View Post
    Thanks for the great how to, one question though, after installing the mplayer plug-in, whenever i try to view a video a mplayer plug-in screen pops up or is embedded saying buffering, when it's done nothing happens, or sometimes firefox crashes. Any ideas?
    Try this, change YourUserName to your user name.
    Code:
    sudo chown -R YourUserName:users /usr/local/firefox32/

Beans

Thanks, I removed the failed install and was able to install Firefox 32 using your script. Just have to remember to do it from the desktop. My problem was trying to do in the install from my downloads directory. Swept everything up in the directory and copied it to /usr/local/Firefox.

Now if I could just figure out how to get my HP Deskjet F340 (one of those litle usb combo machines -- scanner, printer, copier) up and running life with the AMD64 would be great. The computer identifies the machine. When I install the driver suggested, and try to print a test page, nothing.

There seems to be some sort of utility available in the synaptic manager, but the repository doesn't seem to be on line this afternoon. I guess I ought to transfer this comment elsewhere.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Byers View Post
    Thanks, I removed the failed install and was able to install Firefox 32 using your script. Just have to remember to do it from the desktop. My problem was trying to do in the install from my downloads directory. Swept everything up in the directory and copied it to /usr/local/Firefox.

Now if I could just figure out how to get my HP Deskjet F340 (one of those litle usb combo machines -- scanner, printer, copier) up and running life with the AMD64 would be great. The computer identifies the machine. When I install the driver suggested, and try to print a test page, nothing.

There seems to be some sort of utility available in the synaptic manager, but the repository doesn't seem to be on line this afternoon. I guess I ought to transfer this comment elsewhere.
    You could drag the launcher into the taskbar to add it and delete the other one if you want. You could also use the alacarte menu editor to edit the command of firefox in the menu to firefox32 so that starts the 32bit version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Smile Re: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Hi Kilz,
    Forgive me for my late feedback. I guess too much work will kill me ..
    Anyway, I suspect that on my latest post all the problems existed because I had forgotten to include the commands regarding nppdf.so. Unfortunately, after a long day I followed all of the commands on your post sequentially. But this meant, that in the end ... I removed acrobat!

As a result, I followed all commands that you provide on the first page and everything went smoothly. Ofcourse I had a problem with PPPKLight, but with your final command this was resolved.

Thanks again for your time and patience,
    Regards,
    - dimis -

Page 5 of 166 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast