Page 47 of 166 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797147 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Quote Originally Posted by quickk View Post
    Hi everyone,

First of all, thank you Kilz for taking the time to write these instructions and making the install script. I have a few questions for you:

1. How can you uninstall what was installed by the script? For example, I want to uninstall firefox32, and I tried "sudo dpkg -r firefox32-2.0-ubuntu-amd64" and all sorts of variants, but it doesn't work (I get a message saying that it isn't installed). I would also like to uninstall the java 1.4 that was installed by the script, but I get the same problem.

2. The reason why I want to uninstall these things is that I want to start over the process from scratch. I didn't realize that your script installed java 1.4 and not java 1.5 (which I need). Is there an easy way to modify your script so that it installs java 1.5 plugin instead? I don't see the point otherwise, because a 64bit java 1.4 plugin already exists.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    The script installs packages, you can search synaptic or sudo dpkg -r packagename. What reason do you need the 32bit version of java for? The only application that uses it is the 32bit Firefox.
    I trust Microsoft as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat

I'm in my third year at a Lutheran seminary!

Beans

Thanks for the reply. I don't really want 32bit java, it's just that there is no 64 bit java 1.5 plugin (I've searched a really long time for one, but it seems that it just doesn't exist yet). I need the 1.5 version because the photosharing site that I use doesn't work without it. So the only way that I see to get java 1.5 plugin to work is to install the 32 bit version.

As for uninstalling things, my problem is that I don't know what to use for the package name since the package name isn't necessarily the same as the file that was used to install the package. Is there any way to list all of the installed packages?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks, Kilz. Worked like a charm on my Compaq Presario V2000. Now if only I could get my wireless working in Edgy, I'd be so happy my feet wouldn't even touch the ground.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    --Albert Einstein

Beans

To completely replace the 64-bit FireFox, all you need is a symbolic link in /usr/local/bin pointing to the 32-bit FireFox.

Code:
    cd /usr/local/bin
    sudo ln -s firefox32 firefox
    Because /usr/local/bin appears before /usr/bin in the $PATH environment variable, whenever the firefox command is invoked, the system will automatically launch the 32-bit browser rather than the 64-bit one. The only time the 64-bit browser would be launched is if the full path to the 64-bit executable is given (e.g., typing /usr/bin/firefox in a terminal window rather than just firefox).

Beans

Thanks Stephen, that was a very good explanation.

In regards to 64 bit Ubuntu, I've finally thrown in the towel. I had very good reasons to use 64 bit (lots of compiling, scientific apps, running simulations), but being the complete Linux neophyte that I am, my experience with 64 bit Ubuntu was like continuously bashing my head against the wall. I've now installed the 32 bit version, and everything just works!

I originally was using 64bit SUSE 10.1, and really didn't have any problems running 32bit/64bit software. I couldn't stand the installer problems though so that's why I tried Ubuntu. When suse 10.2 comes out (which I hear is very soon), I'll probably try it out and see if it has it's any better.

On a side note, is it possible to use the universe repositories and apt-get with an rpm based linux?

Thanks again for the help!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi, in the first place thanks for this great howto. I've run the script but it fails at the instalation of mplayer. Im using ubuntu edgy with the lastest updated. I got the following error:

(Reading database ... 153416 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking mplayer32 (from mplayer32_1.0pre7-1_amd64.deb) ...
    dpkg: error processing mplayer32_1.0pre7-1_amd64.deb (--install):
    trying to overwrite `/usr/lib32/liblzo.so.1.0.0', which is also in package ia32-libs-openoffice.org
    dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    mplayer32_1.0pre7-1_amd64.deb
    mv: cannot stat `/usr/bin/mplayer': No such file or directory
    mv: cannot stat `/usr/bin/mplayer32': No such file or directory

But in spite of this error, the script goes on and it seems to finish succesfully. At this point, i expect firefox to work but with no plugin, but when i run firefox32 and try to access a web page with flash enabled it crashes with the following error:

The program 'firefox-bin' received an X Window System error.
    This probably reflects a bug in the program.
    The error was 'BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)'.
    (Details: serial 86 error_code 8 request_code 146 minor_code 3)
    (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
    that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
    To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
    option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
    backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

I've no clue about this error, any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    sapo

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I don't know if this could be of any help, but after getting that error with kilz script (great work BTW!!), I got tired and decided to turn into a chroot environment, which was working neatly for me in dapper. After installing and configuring....I get exactly the same crash with firefox and flash. At least this tells us that it has nothing to do with the way the script made things.
    I hope we can come up with a solution, this is getting too many people bored.
    Bye and thanks again for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

At last I've managed to make it work. Digging around I've found this bug https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu...fox/+bug/14911
    and as suggested there, you can fix it by editing /usr/bin/firefox and adding the following line export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1.
    I worked fine for me.
    Regards,
    sapo

Beans

No sound :(

I've just installed 32-bit Firefox on my AMD64 Ubuntu Edgy with the java and flash9 plugins. It seems stable, but I get absolutely no sound whatsoever. I can play my mp3's using Xmms just fine, but I've tried everything in this thread and haven't gotten sound working with my 32-bit browser. Any ideas? TIA

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Well, after I changed that variable, the same happened to me, no sound at all. I was able to fix it, but what I'm posting here is only the solution made from the point of view of a really tired 64 bit user, I know its far from being the best, but I don't really care since it works.
    You can find some info in this bug report:
    https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu...fox/+bug/14911
    Which led me to this other https://launchpad.net/malone/bugs/29760.
    Following some of the suggestions there I found out that you can change the way firefox interacts with /dev/dsp. If you look at the /etc/firefox/firefoxrc you will see this:
    ---
    # which /dev/dsp wrapper to use
    FIREFOX_DSP="none"
    # Note that "auto" and "esd" involve the use of esddsp, which
    # is known to be buggy and to make Firefox unstable.
    # See https://launchpad.net/malone/bugs/29760.
    ---
    If you change "none" by "aoss" you will make sound work again. In those post there are some discussions about this.
    I hope it works for you.
    sapo.

Page 47 of 166 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797147 ... LastLast