Page 46 of 166 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Quote Originally Posted by DavidWF View Post
    Hey, actually the problem with "Bad Match" X11 errors when Flash loads isn't with whether they use your script or not (though it was broken on Edgy when I tried it, was trying to find stuff in ~/Desktop even if it'd downloaded to somewhere else).

The problem that causes the "Bad Match" some is a known bug, see here:

https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu...ree/+bug/62988

The workaround is to put this in your /usr/bin/firefox:

Code:
    export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1
    Or you could put it in /etc/profile or whatever. Just so long as that variable is set every time you run firefox.

HTH
    Thank you for the information. I will be incorporating it into the launchers soon.
    I trust Microsoft as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat

I'm in my third year at a Lutheran seminary!

Beans

Hi!

I've followed these instructions many times, and usually with 100% success. however, now that I've moved to Firfox 2.0 I've lost my quicktime plugin? I've tried installing the mplayer plugin with the script, but it fails since I already have the usr/lib/win32 codecs directory.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    GF.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gratefulfrog View Post
    Hi!

I've followed these instructions many times, and usually with 100% success. however, now that I've moved to Firfox 2.0 I've lost my quicktime plugin? I've tried installing the mplayer plugin with the script, but it fails since I already have the usr/lib/win32 codecs directory.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    GF.
    Sadly there is still a problem getting the mplayer plugin working on Edgy.

Beans

I'm only running Dapper but I installed firefox2 32 manually myself...

In that case, any suggestions on getting quicktime back?
    Last edited by gratefulfrog; November 23rd, 2006 at 09:22 PM.

Beans

I just upgraded to edgy and the situation isn't great.

I still can't get the mplayer plugin to install, nor can I get mplayer (mplayer64) built with the script to work.

I am forced to build mplayer from sources, I guess, and the plugin too.

What do y'all think?

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi Kilz,

Great work.

I was wondering where you got libpangohack. I don't see any source code for it. Since the binary is freely released without the source, I assume it is under an OSS license (maybe BSD?) or public domain, but obviously not GPL.

TIA,

Warren

BTW, AFAIK Firefox is OSS and not "F"OSS. So your comment about the Swiftfox guy might be a bit misleading. On the other hand, I don't know what he did or how he licensed what he did, so I don't know, maybe he did violate the MPL OSS license.

Beans

I just upgraded to edgy and I installed your script. When I run firefox32 I get error messages like these:

(firefox-bin:9242): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
    Using the fallback 'C' locale.

(firefox-bin:9242): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libqtengine.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

(firefox-bin:9242): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libqtengine.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
    Firefox does not start and I am left unhappy. Any help Kilz?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mepisguy View Post
    Hi Kilz,

Great work.

I was wondering where you got libpangohack. I don't see any source code for it. Since the binary is freely released without the source, I assume it is under an OSS license (maybe BSD?) or public domain, but obviously not GPL.

TIA,

Warren

BTW, AFAIK Firefox is OSS and not "F"OSS. So your comment about the Swiftfox guy might be a bit misleading. On the other hand, I don't know what he did or how he licensed what he did, so I don't know, maybe he did violate the MPL OSS license.
    The libpangohack is part of the ia32-libs-gtk Breezy Ubuntu packages and did not come with source or license. So I'm really not sure what it is. Im contacting the name in the .deb file to make sure. Perhaps Ill just rewrite the script to download that .deb file and extract the files.

As for Firefox being oss and not foss. Acording to the FSF the MPL is a free software license. Its incompatible with the GPL. But its still a free software license. The code in firefox is avilable, you can chamge it, you can release it under the gpl. You just cant call it firefox.
    Swiftfox on the other hand restricts redistribution. No distro can distribute it, or anyone else. Sadly this is one freedom Firefox has that Swiftfox takes away. So in effect its even worse than the parent.
    What the builder of Swiftfox did was Tivo Firefox IMHO.

Its also amazing how your 1 post in all the Ubuntu forums is here in this thread discussing Swiftfox. I hope it helped you.
    Last edited by Kilz; November 28th, 2006 at 01:53 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    i take it there is no solution to the mozilla mplayer problem

maybe this will help
    general@Atlantis:~$ gmplayer
    gmplayer: error while loading shared libraries: libaudio.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    general@Atlantis:~$ mplayer
    mplayer: error while loading shared libraries: libaudio.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    EDIT: fixed in three steps
    reinstall mplayer [standard]
    enable glx [YES]
    now it should run, be sure to select gl as your video output
    PS: use the 32 bit for everything as i am not sure of the 64 bit version
    Last edited by Genral; November 28th, 2006 at 05:55 AM.

Beans

Hi everyone,

First of all, thank you Kilz for taking the time to write these instructions and making the install script. I have a few questions for you:

1. How can you uninstall what was installed by the script? For example, I want to uninstall firefox32, and I tried "sudo dpkg -r firefox32-2.0-ubuntu-amd64" and all sorts of variants, but it doesn't work (I get a message saying that it isn't installed). I would also like to uninstall the java 1.4 that was installed by the script, but I get the same problem.

2. The reason why I want to uninstall these things is that I want to start over the process from scratch. I didn't realize that your script installed java 1.4 and not java 1.5 (which I need). Is there an easy way to modify your script so that it installs java 1.5 plugin instead? I don't see the point otherwise, because a 64bit java 1.4 plugin already exists.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Page 46 of 166 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast