Page 4 of 166 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

I like the new scripts. You're getting better and better! One thing though. You're so throrough that your script deletes itself, resulting in an error. It is of course a harmless error, but perhaps you should warn people. Perhaps just before the rm commands:
    Code:
    echo "You will now see an error, this error is because the script is deleting itself and is harmless."
    (The error is: sudo: Unable to get working directory)

Other than that, it's great. This should definately be a sticky.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Lil_Eagle View Post
    I like the new scripts. You're getting better and better! One thing though. You're so throrough that your script deletes itself, resulting in an error. It is of course a harmless error, but perhaps you should warn people. Perhaps just before the rm commands:
    Code:
    echo "You will now see an error, this error is because the script is deleting itself and is harmless."
    (The error is: sudo: Unable to get working directory)

Other than that, it's great. This should definately be a sticky.
    Thanks, I'm learning a lot, I just started the shell scripts a few days ago and I'm real happy with how they work so far. I taught myself a little php so I figured shell scripts cant be that difficult.
    Yes, I delete the folder. Because it becomes a root folder and is hard to delete. You cant just send it to the trash. Ill add the line to the bottom of the script.
    I trust Microsoft as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat

I'm in my third year at a Lutheran seminary!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan H View Post
    This worked perfectly, untill I restarted. After I restarted it was the exact same as Firefox 64-bit. I know the pointer is selected for the 32 bit version.

-Ryan H
    What stopped working when you restarted? If you are saying the 64bit version of Firefox took over its possible you are using the wrong launcher.
    This howto doesn't replace the 64bit version. It adds the 32bit version. That's why the howto has you create a launcher on your desktop. You can drag that launcher to a taskbar and delete the one for 64bit firefox that is there.
    The 64bit version is still in the Application menu, it will still launch if you open a html file on your desktop unless you select open with other application and choose firefox32.
    Last edited by Kilz; July 12th, 2006 at 04:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

I know it adds the 32-bit version, I'm saying the 32-bit is now exactly like the 64-bit version. I ran the file /usr/local/firefox32/firefox in the terminal and all it did was launch the 64-bit version.

-Ryan H

Edit: I used your installer and it installed everything perfectly. Only it currupted the application installer. The one for downloading updates. I reinstalled it via
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install -f
    , but I'm not sure what your script did to it.

-Ryan H
    Last edited by Ryan H; July 14th, 2006 at 03:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan H View Post
    I know it adds the 32-bit version, I'm saying the 32-bit is now exactly like the 64-bit version. I ran the file /usr/local/firefox32/firefox in the terminal and all it did was launch the 64-bit version.

-Ryan H

Edit: I used your installer and it installed everything perfectly. Only it currupted the application installer. The one for downloading updates. I reinstalled it via
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install -f
    , but I'm not sure what your script did to it.

-Ryan H
    Of the three avaiable what one did you install?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Smile Re: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Hi Kilz with your killing HOW-TO!
    Two question though.
    1) Do you know what causes the error shown in this picture:

I mean, is there a way I can make the 'catalogue' appear in front of the flash? I believe this is the correct thing to happen, since on some options one can not see the various choices that are available because they are 'behind' the flash movie.

2) I have Acrobat Reader installed, but unfortunately I can not find the Browser directory you have in your manual:
    Code:
    dimis@mypc:~$ which acroread
    /usr/bin/acroread
    dimis@mypc:~$ cd /usr/bin
    dimis@mypc:/usr/bin$ ls -l acroread
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 36 2006-07-14 18:21 acroread -> ../lib/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/bin/acroread
    dimis@mypc:/usr/bin$ cd /usr/lib/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/
    dimis@mypc:/usr/bin$ cd /usr/lib/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/
    dimis@mypc:/usr/lib/Adobe/Acrobat7.0$ ls -l
    total 12
    drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 2006-07-14 18:21 bin
    drwxr-xr-x 11 root root 4096 2006-07-14 18:21 Reader
    drwxr-xr-x  5 root root 4096 2006-07-14 18:21 Resource
    dimis@mypc:/usr/lib/Adobe/Acrobat7.0$
    So my question is: What do you suggest I should do if I want the plugin? Perhaps uninstalling Reader and re-installing through your HOW-TO?

Thank you in advance,
    - dimis -

Beans
    Distro

1)I have that happen to me to. I wish I knew why it dose it. I have it happen on the ATI drivers page and the Chicago Cubs mlb site.

2) Its possible you installed the acrobt reader.deb file with a sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i. Its possible to do the same thing with the plugin. Download the acrobat plugin deb file. and save it to your desktop.
    Code:
    cd ~/Desktop
    sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i mozilla-acroread_7.0.1-0.0.ubuntu1_i386.deb
    Then you will have a Browser folder with the plugin at /usr/lib/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so
    Then just edit the cp command and finish that section.

Beans

Thanks Kliz, followed the HowTo yesterday to get 32 bit Firefox with Flash Java and Real Player plugins. I was doing it through KDE on top of Ubuntu and it worked like a dream.

If you are using Gnome you probably don't get this glitch though. I like to leave the browser open on the desktop when I shut down and in KDE it's there again when I log in. However with both versions of Firefox on the machine it's 64 bit that gets restored.

Guess I'll have to post on the Kubuntu forum.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bbfuller View Post
    Thanks Kliz, followed the HowTo yesterday to get 32 bit Firefox with Flash Java and Real Player plugins. I was doing it through KDE on top of Ubuntu and it worked like a dream.

If you are using Gnome you probably don't get this glitch though. I like to leave the browser open on the desktop when I shut down and in KDE it's there again when I log in. However with both versions of Firefox on the machine it's 64 bit that gets restored.

Guess I'll have to post on the Kubuntu forum.
    You are correct, when I close down gnome, windows left open do not open again when you log in. But there is a problem of opening html on your desktop, for some reason it will default to the 64bit version. If you dont need the 64 bit version. A work around for that is to delete the contents of /usr/lib/firefox and replace it with the contents of /usr/local/firefox32. I bet that would solve your problem to.

Beans

working great, kilz... thanks a lot

Page 4 of 166 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast