Page 37 of 166 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Kilz,

Great HowTo and wonderful work you're doing for all of us, 64bit users. Your debs have been saving me a lot of time and work.

I tested Iceweasel and had no issue so far. The only suggestion I would give is to use lowercase "iceweasel" for the directory and command, just to follow the tradition. I don't know how the original file comes.

Today I tested the new flash plugin (9beta) and although it works, it seems quite unstable. It randomly crashes with segmentation fault. I'm not surprised. But it was good to be able to watch a video and listen to music at the same time.

best,
    incubus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by incubus View Post
    Kilz,

Great HowTo and wonderful work you're doing for all of us, 64bit users. Your debs have been saving me a lot of time and work.

I tested Iceweasel and had no issue so far. The only suggestion I would give is to use lowercase "iceweasel" for the directory and command, just to follow the tradition. I don't know how the original file comes.

Today I tested the new flash plugin (9beta) and although it works, it seems quite unstable. It randomly crashes with segmentation fault. I'm not surprised. But it was good to be able to watch a video and listen to music at the same time.

best,
    incubus

Yes it isnt perfect yet. I think one of the things every one who tests beta software needs to do is report problems. Im sure if we all give adobe feedback it will help it get better faster.
    I trust Microsoft as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat

I'm in my third year at a Lutheran seminary!

Beans

I really like this script but I have a few concerns:

When it comes time to dist-upgrade, or even normal upgrades on my system, isn't it quite likely that all this stuff will break or at least cause dependency problems?

In my current situation, I can live with 32-bit mplayer java etc as I dont use them for anything else, but for those people that want 64-bit mplayer java it must be a tough decision to use your scripts as they will have to downgrade to 32-bit and it has a casacde effect on the whole system (dependency wise).

The last thing im concerned about is the lack of a trusted source for these debs...it seems like they get downloaded from all over the place without a single signature. Makes me a bit worried about malicious code in these custom debs. Is it not possible to download these debs from the official archive or have they been hacked to be able to work in your solution?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by finite9 View Post
    I really like this script but I have a few concerns:

When it comes time to dist-upgrade, or even normal upgrades on my system, isn't it quite likely that all this stuff will break or at least cause dependency problems?
    No, the packages will either be upgraded or will not exist in the repositories. As far as we are learning Everything works on Edgy. If something changes. I will fix it. As far as upgrades to the browser. I usualy have the .deb file within a day of release. downloading and double click on the file to update.

In my current situation, I can live with 32-bit mplayer java etc as I dont use them for anything else, but for those people that want 64-bit mplayer java it must be a tough decision to use your scripts as they will have to downgrade to 32-bit and it has a casacde effect on the whole system (dependency wise).
    Nope, 32bit mplayer is named different that the 64bit one. You can have both. There is one time that it changes the name of a mplayer binary. But Ubuntu uses the gmplayer and Kubuntu uses the kmplayer binary. To adapt the application to the system. So the mplayer binary is not used most of the time.

The last thing im concerned about is the lack of a trusted source for these debs...it seems like they get downloaded from all over the place without a single signature. Makes me a bit worried about malicious code in these custom debs. Is it not possible to download these debs from the official archive or have they been hacked to be able to work in your solution?
    I have made all the .debs other than the mplayer ones that are not in the repositories. Yes I do use some from the repositories. All the browser .deb's are mine. A few of the ia32 are to. If it has comcast in the url, its mine.
    They are not hacked, but do contain files I have created. With 35k hits on this topic, if there was a problem, you would be able to read it. Im not a mod, I cant remove posts. I also have 2k posts on the Ubuntu forums helping people. If you dont trust me. Follow the manual howto. This page was put up to help people, thats what I do.
    Last edited by Kilz; October 20th, 2006 at 08:20 AM.

Beans

Thanks for clearing up my first two concerns--good to know that nothing will break from official repositories when upgrading

As for the third concern: I apologise if i've offended you--it wasn't my intention to imply that you are spreading malicious code, but it *is* a security risk to download custom debs from 3 separate sites with no sigs where the sites are owned by private persons and not organisations: This doesn't mean I don't really appreciate the work you have done! I'm just saying it is a risk.

Can you clear up one thing:

are the following official mirrors?:
    http://ubuntu.secs.oakland.edu
    http://ubuntu.mirrors.tds.net

Can I swap these out for local mirrors?

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for clearing up my first two concerns--good to know that nothing will break from official repositories when upgrading

As for the third concern: I apologise if i've offended you--it wasn't my intention to imply that you are spreading malicious code, but it *is* a security risk to download custom debs from 3 separate sites with no sigs where the sites are owned by private persons and not organisations: This doesn't mean I don't really appreciate the work you have done! I'm just saying it is a risk.

Can you clear up one thing:

are the following official mirrors?:
    http://ubuntu.secs.oakland.edu
    http://ubuntu.mirrors.tds.net

Can I swap these out for local mirrors?
    No offence taken, I understand. The reason you see 3 different comcast sites is that comcast gives me 25meg of web space per email address I create. I can create up to 6 emails. The browsers are 8.5-9 meg per file. So I can at best put 2 per account.
    Yes they appear to be Ubuntu mirrors. If there is a nearer one by all means use it. Are you having trouble connecting to them?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I used the manual installation instructions to install iceweasel and java, but I'm having some trouble. When I go to a page that has a Java applet on it the loading animation starts to play, but the progress bar does not move. When I try to close the browser, I have to force it to quit. Afterwards, I notice that my system is acting unusually: one time my panels did not work properly.

I tried using the chown command mentioned in the first post, but I had no success.

Should I just wait and hope for a x86_64 java plugin? Or should I look for an older java plugin built for ns4 (for nspluginwrapper)? Or are there any ideas as to what might be wrong on my system?

If it helps at all, I'm running Edgy Eft with a custom 2.6.18 kernel on a Compaq Presario v5210us. It's a Turion 64 system.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Angafirith View Post
    I used the manual installation instructions to install iceweasel and java, but I'm having some trouble. When I go to a page that has a Java applet on it the loading animation starts to play, but the progress bar does not move. When I try to close the browser, I have to force it to quit. Afterwards, I notice that my system is acting unusually: one time my panels did not work properly.

I tried using the chown command mentioned in the first post, but I had no success.

Should I just wait and hope for a x86_64 java plugin? Or should I look for an older java plugin built for ns4 (for nspluginwrapper)? Or are there any ideas as to what might be wrong on my system?

If it helps at all, I'm running Edgy Eft with a custom 2.6.18 kernel on a Compaq Presario v5210us. It's a Turion 64 system.

First off lets see if the plugin is installed or not. open a terminal and copy/paste this command in.
    Code:
    ls -l /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins/
    Then copy/paste the results into a post here.

Beans

i have same issue with new beta script...iceweasel and java do not play nicely together. Java apps sometimes hang browser, other times browser quits. I do get a dialogue to accept certificates though! something broken?

running dapper 6.06 amd64 with 2.6.15-27-amd64-k8 kernel.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

The results of ls -al:

Code:
    total 6724
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root       root       6753912 2006-10-20 01:30 libflashplayer.so
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root       root            54 2006-10-20 15:37 libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /usr/local/java32/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    -rw-r--r-- 1 angafirith angafirith   92448 2006-09-19 09:39 libnpp.so
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 angafirith angafirith   19496 2006-09-09 22:41 libnullplugin.so
    To make sure it wasn't just a problem with iceweasel, I tried installing the 32 bit version of firefox2 as well. It just crashed when I tried testing java.

Page 37 of 166 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast