Page 31 of 166 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Beans

Re: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

the MPlayer plugin script left several deb packages and some files on my desktop including one that can't be removed. what should be done about them if i want my desktop clean?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GrooveHobbit View Post
    the MPlayer plugin script left several deb packages and some files on my desktop including one that can't be removed. what should be done about them if i want my desktop clean?

Open a terminal window, change directory to your desktop, and remove them using the delete command, with sudo of course.

so

sudo <delete command> <filename>

That's how I did it at least.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    Have you tried the sound fixes in the Flash section? Secondly have you rebooted since installing it?
    Kilz,

It seems that when viewing flash media in FireFox32 I am unable to get audio in other multimedia programs such as xine, mplayer, amarok, etc. Specifically Amarok complains that the Xine engine could not be started.

Conversley,

When using something like Amarok first, and then opening FireFox32 and trying to view flash media I get no sound in FireFox32.

This *only* occurs when viewing flash media in FireFox32 and trying to use other media programs simotaneously. It seems at present I cannot use both at the same time??

Thanks a ton for your help and insight!
    Last edited by MrXerxes; September 30th, 2006 at 01:27 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MrXerxes View Post
    Open a terminal window, change directory to your desktop, and remove them using the delete command, with sudo of course.

so

sudo <delete command> <filename>

That's how I did it at least.
    what would be the proper delete command? (I'm still pretty new to Linux)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by MrXerxes View Post
    Kilz,

It seems that when viewing flash media in FireFox32 I am unable to get audio in other multimedia programs such as xine, mplayer, amarok, etc. Specifically Amarok complains that the Xine engine could not be started.

Conversley,

When using something like Amarok first, and then opening FireFox32 and trying to view flash media I get no sound in FireFox32.

This *only* occurs when viewing flash media in FireFox32 and trying to use other media programs simotaneously. It seems at present I cannot use both at the same time??

Thanks a ton for your help and insight!
    Yea I have the same problem
    Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what's right.
    Isaac Asimov

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GrooveHobbit View Post
    what would be the proper delete command? (I'm still pretty new to Linux)
    got it.

sudo rm -r Desktop/*

removed all of it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by BatteryCell View Post
    Yea I have the same problem
    Sorry but only one of these applications can have sound at any one time.
    I trust Microsoft as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat

I'm in my third year at a Lutheran seminary!

Beans

I chose to run your script (method) for Firefox i386 with java and flash plugins...Everything ended up running fine...

I had to stop the script when I realized that the ./Firefox execution is literally set for the /home/{user}/Desktop/ffinstall folder (for that preprogrammed path), because at first, I had my own extracted location for the ffinstall folder (/home/{user}/downloads/ffinstall). That was no big deal, I realized this during the script execution, when I saw errors for the source at the 'desktop' location. I copied ffinstall to my desktop, and the script then ran and completed.

I now have i386 and amd64 versions of Firefox running side-by-side. I tested flash, and it runs great; and yes, it has audio too! Thank you kindly for this how-to! It may seem like a silly problem not having (64-bit) plugins in Firefox, but it really makes a huge difference being able to use the 32-bit version of Firefox, with working flash and java, when necessary!

Thank you very much for the script(s)!

Also, thank you for the additional documentation about how to run 32-bit Firefox only; I am not going to run it only, but it was good information in case someone would want to.

Beans

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I performed my installations with no other Firefox browers open, and I wanted to point out to other new users like I that you can always (if the browser is running at all) go into the help-about menu in your Firefox, to verify you are actually in the i386 version.

Beans

Sorry again.
    I should also mention, that when you check the version of Firefox using Help-About, that you will only see the version of the first browser opened. In other words, if you open the 64-bit Firefox, then open an instance of the 32-bit one, and then use help-About Firefox menu, you will always see the a64 version listed there, including subsequent openings of either Firefox from that point on. Always the first browser's version. If you have the 32-bit firefox open by itself, it will show you i386.

Page 31 of 166 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast