Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Very nice guide indeed
    You can Follow Me Here and My Blog Here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: native 64-bit java and flash are working!

I was able to follow the above instructions just fine (I also provided update-alternatives for java_vm, javaws, and jcontrol when things didn't work). Output of 'java -version' is build 1.6.0_12-ea-b03. I linked libnpjp2.so into both /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and /usr/lib/firefox/plugins. My problem is, in firefox 3.0.5, I have java and javaScript enabled, but if I go to any example test site like http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml , I get nade. I also have sun-java6-bin and sun-java6-jre (pointing to 6.07-3ubuntu2) via synaptic. I tried to remove them, but it was going to remove nearly ALL my applications which depend on java (eclipse, libxerces, libcommons..., etc.). Anyone have a clue what is going on here? (p.s. I'm not a java expert - just use apps which depend on a good jre).

Beans

I'm not sure about it being outdated....
    Last edited by spo00n; February 18th, 2009 at 04:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: native 64-bit java and flash are working!

Quote Originally Posted by karlatsaic View Post
    I was able to follow the above instructions just fine (I also provided update-alternatives for java_vm, javaws, and jcontrol when things didn't work). Output of 'java -version' is build 1.6.0_12-ea-b03. I linked libnpjp2.so into both /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and /usr/lib/firefox/plugins. My problem is, in firefox 3.0.5, I have java and javaScript enabled, but if I go to any example test site like http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml , I get nade. I also have sun-java6-bin and sun-java6-jre (pointing to 6.07-3ubuntu2) via synaptic. I tried to remove them, but it was going to remove nearly ALL my applications which depend on java (eclipse, libxerces, libcommons..., etc.). Anyone have a clue what is going on here? (p.s. I'm not a java expert - just use apps which depend on a good jre).
    IMHO,
    Java is a application that constantly needs updating, its growing way too fast.I heard someone back in this thread say they could not play games on "Pogo", I have never had that problem since I ran klitz,z
    script
    Albeit, one of there games crashes on me also.I hope you can find the answer that will correct your problem karlatsaic, Sun Java not being open source may also play a role in these problems.

Good Luck

Beans

Flash Player 10 64bit is ALPHA!
    Not all pages will recognize it as flash, nor will all flash video play with it!
    Amazon.com Video-On-Demand, for example doesn't work with flash player 10 64bit.
    So, no, there is not a 64bit Flash player 10 for Linux, yet. There is a 64bit flash player10 being tested.
    Using a 32bit installation of Firefox is not outdated....yet.

Beans

I had a lot of issues with 32 bit Flash Player and nspluginwrapper on 64 bit Ubuntu: plugin crashes (try opening a page with tons of Flash applets), Firefox crashes, Xorg crashes also (bug reported on Launchpad and confirmed). That's why in the past I've used the information on this thread to install Firefox 32 bit.
    Now, using native Flash plugin, I've no one of the above problems, browsing experience is at least comparable to the one on 32 bit systems.
    There's only a performance problem on full screen YouTube video which I can live with.

If you ask me which is the best way to use Flash plugin on 64 bit systems, I can surely confirm that now it's the 64 bit Adobe Flash 10 beta plugin.
    If you have to use Amazon.com Video-On-Demand service you still have the chance to install Firefox 32

Beans

I forget to talk about Java: now we have also 64 bit Java plugin...another reason to let Firefox 32 sit in a corner

Beans

Here's a way to get Webex working on 64-bit ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) in case anyone is looking for a solution.

Beans

Well, shoot.

No, this is not outdated, except for the fact that there is no option for Intrepid since you decided people shouldn't use your wonderful method anymore

There are plenty of plugins that won't work on 64bit still, would be very nice to have an option that would allow people to run them.

-Michael

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mvandemar View Post
    Well, shoot.

No, this is not outdated, except for the fact that there is no option for Intrepid since you decided people shouldn't use your wonderful method anymore

There are plenty of plugins that won't work on 64bit still, would be very nice to have an option that would allow people to run them.
    I had 32 bit swiftweasel running in Intrepid. Following upgrade to Jaunty, it continues to work.

You might try the instructions for Intrepid and see if you can work them out for Jaunty.

Page 165 of 166 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166 LastLast