Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 1659

Thread: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Quote Originally Posted by Keyper7 View Post
    Hi Kilz,

First of all, thanks for the great script. I used it flawlessly before and I'm going to use it again since I recently reinstalled Feisty.

I'm not on my computer right now, so I can't run the script to figure this out myself, but looking at the script I have a small doubt: how does the Feisty part of the script works without downloading the mplayer32 deb?

I've noticed that the Dapper and Edgy installations download mplayer32 and mozilla-mplayer, but the Feisty part only downloads mozilla-mplayer. How does that work?

Thanks a lot again!
    -Keyper7
    It downloads and uses the mplayer from the repositories. You may be missing that small one word in an apt-get install command in the script. The dapper and edgy script have to use an older mplayer32 because of dependencies.
    I trust Microsoft as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat

I'm in my third year at a Lutheran seminary!

Beans

Ah, I see, it's in the beggining. Thanks.

But since it's a common apt-get, the mplayer installed is the 64-bit version, right? If I understood correctly, that means that, if you're using Feisty, the 64-bit mplayer from the repositories works with the win32 codecs as long as its called from a 32-bit mplayerplug-in? Interesting... I didn't even know a 64 mplayer could be used in a 32-bit mplayerplug-in, much less using the win32 codecs.

Does that mean I can even replace that apt-get mplayer with a compilation of mplayer from mplayer.hq source?
    Last edited by Keyper7; September 13th, 2007 at 01:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Keyper7 View Post
    Ah, I see, it's in the beggining. Thanks.

But since it's a common apt-get, the mplayer installed is the 64-bit version, right? If I understood correctly, that means that, if you're using Feisty, the 64-bit mplayer from the repositories works with the win32 codecs as long as its called from a 32-bit mplayerplug-in? Interesting... I didn't even know a 64 mplayer could be used in a 32-bit mplayerplug-in, much less using the win32 codecs.

Does that mean I can even replace that apt-get mplayer with a compilation of mplayer from mplayer.hq source?
    The 64bit mplayer in Feisty does not really need the win32 codecs. I should just remove that from the script. I probably will remove it on the next version. If there is a next version. Because this script is pretty much obsolete since I have found a 64bit java plugin that works with Swiftweasel (link at the top of the howto). You could just as easily then install the mozilla-mplayer and mplayer package with apt and have a fully functional 64bit setup.
    But what is happening is that the 32bit mplayer plugin is calling the 64bit mplayer in the old script..
    Last edited by Kilz; September 13th, 2007 at 04:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    "]This script is pretty much obsolete. I have a new script that installs 64bit Swiftweasel, 64bit java and working Flash. Visit my site to get it.[/COLOR]
    [/SIZE][/B]
    Well enough chatter, on to the howto
    When did java become available in 64 bit? I read or was told somewhere that it would not happen until release 7 of Java? This is good news. The only thing that's bugging me about 64 bit now is zsnes. I really want it for network play with my friends, but it seems very impossible. I've many different ways of getting it to work such as isntalling a 32 bit deb I found and getting the libs for it. ldd says no libs are missing, but it crashes and leaves a backtrace. If I knew C better, the backtrace may do me some good, but I don't.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Java in 64 bit? I think you are talking about gcj gnu java, right?

Beans

No, it's blackdown java. gcj java has always worked in 64-bit, but doesn't have essential security features. Blackdown java in 64-bit was known for making 64-bit Firefox crash, but Kilz found out that 64-bit Swiftweasel runs stable with it. Blackdown is not being developed anymore and stopped at Java 1.4, but it's a very nice option while we wait for Java 7.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I have blackdown java now from your script. Though I am unsure what blackdown is. It seems to be an old version of java that is not compatible with the java games yahoo has like chess and checkers and yahoo pool.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fakie_flip View Post
    I have blackdown java now from your script. Though I am unsure what blackdown is. It seems to be an old version of java that is not compatible with the java games yahoo has like chess and checkers and yahoo pool.
    Yes its older, but as pointed out gcj runs without a security manager. Per the java page on the wiki.

Starting with Ubuntu 6.10 (EdgyEft), you can install the experimental java-gcj-compat-plugin from the universe archive. It is available on all architectures. Note however, that the plugin currently runs with no security manager. This means that applets you load can do anything a java application that you download and run can do. Be **very** careful which applets you run.

So if someone online write a applet to format your hard drive, install a rootkit, or something else just as bad, it will do it.

Me, I wont even install gjc. I would rather use a slightly older version while I wait for Java 7.

You are right , some yahoo games dont run with it, but some do. I just played avalanche and aloha solitare.
    Last edited by Kilz; September 16th, 2007 at 07:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hello all. I dont know maybe someone has encountered the same problem as I have, but I couldn't find it...

When I tried to install Flash as you have posted using the command line
    I couldnt do it because a file that I don't have the right to delete was created with the name install_flash_player_9_linux
    and when I run the

tar -xzvf install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
    sudo mv -f ~/Desktop/install_flash_player_9_linux/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins
    sudo mv -f ~/Desktop/install_flash_player_9_linux/flashplayer.xpt /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins

I got this message:

tar: install_flash_player_9_linux/flashplayer.xpt: Cannot open: Permission denied
    tar: Skipping to next header
    install_flash_player_9_linux/flashplayer-installer
    tar: install_flash_player_9_linux/flashplayer-installer: Cannot open: File exists

The name of what I can;t delete is flashplayer-installer

Do you have any idea?

Thanks
    Last edited by Gouz; September 17th, 2007 at 10:37 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Gouz View Post
    Hello all. I dont know maybe someone has encountered the same problem as I have, but I couldn't find it...

When I tried to install Flash as you have posted using the command line
    I couldnt do it because a file that I don't have the right to delete was created with the name install_flash_player_9_linux
    and when I run the

tar -xzvf install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
    sudo mv -f ~/Desktop/install_flash_player_9_linux/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins
    sudo mv -f ~/Desktop/install_flash_player_9_linux/flashplayer.xpt /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins

I got this message:

tar: install_flash_player_9_linux/flashplayer.xpt: Cannot open: Permission denied
    tar: Skipping to next header
    install_flash_player_9_linux/flashplayer-installer
    tar: install_flash_player_9_linux/flashplayer-installer: Cannot open: File exists

The name of what I can;t delete is flashplayer-installer

Do you have any idea?

Thanks
    Where is the file located?

Page 114 of 166 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124164 ... LastLast