Page 105 of 166 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1659

Thread: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Update: Don't know that the heck happened but Flash is working in Firefox32 after all. I was probably stupid enough to try it in the 64bit version . But Java still doesn't work, more on that later.
    First I'd like to ask one thing: I forgot that I installed Swiftweasel32 too so should I use it instead of the Firefox32 and how do I install the Java into it in that case. Will all these browsers conflict each other in any way or is it safe to leave them all installed?

About the Java, I managed to get up to here:
    cp -r -p ./jre1.6.0_02/* /usr/local/java32
    and then I get
    cp: cannot stat `./jre1.6.0_02/*': No such file or directory
    Also, in the line above in the Howto when you say that something should be extracted and that I need to accept EULA...I don't get any of that.

EDIT: Dang it, now some pages won't open, I can't download and Firefox freezes. What could be the problem?
    Last edited by Baby Boy; August 12th, 2007 at 10:11 PM.
    Dell Inspiron 1501 AMD Turion64x2 1.6GHz, 1.5GB DDR2, Ati Xpress 1150 256MB HyperMemory, 80GB HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Boy View Post
    Update: Don't know that the heck happened but Flash is working in Firefox32 after all. I was probably stupid enough to try it in the 64bit version . But Java still doesn't work, more on that later.
    First I'd like to ask one thing: I forgot that I installed Swiftweasel32 too so should I use it instead of the Firefox32 and how do I install the Java into it in that case. Will all these browsers conflict each other in any way or is it safe to leave them all installed?

About the Java, I managed to get up to here:

and then I get

Also, in the line above in the Howto when you say that something should be extracted and that I need to accept EULA...I don't get any of that.

EDIT: Dang it, now some pages won't open, I can't download and Firefox freezes. What could be the problem?
    Swiftweasel32 and Firefox32 are 2 completely separate applications, so no they wont conflict. I need for you to in explain exactly what you did, step by step. Not just the error you received. If its easier. just copy the terminal session from your install.
    Is Firefox , or Firefox32 freezing? They are also completely different applications in different locations.
    I trust Microsoft as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat

I'm in my third year at a Lutheran seminary!

Beans

Thanks a billion. I am in Gutsy Gibbon Tribe 4 (64 bit) and your directions worked like a charm - I have Flash9 and Java working great and life couldn't be better!!!

I did not need to perform the steps for enabling the audio as it is working without them, which is great for me because I am lazy...

Again, thanks!
    Last edited by eznet; August 13th, 2007 at 05:58 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    Swiftweasel32 and Firefox32 are 2 completely separate applications, so no they wont conflict. I need for you to in explain exactly what you did, step by step. Not just the error you received. If its easier. just copy the terminal session from your install.
    Is Firefox , or Firefox32 freezing? They are also completely different applications in different locations.
    Strange, Firefox is working well now, but last night it was impossible to do any work in it .
    What I did was, well, practically install everything in your guide Feisty related - Automated script, Firefox32, Swiftweasel32, Flash, Java install guides and I did that part at the end of the page that says Feisty users should add. Maybe it's best that I completely reinstall Firefox and start all over?
    Dell Inspiron 1501 AMD Turion64x2 1.6GHz, 1.5GB DDR2, Ati Xpress 1150 256MB HyperMemory, 80GB HDD

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Boy View Post
    Strange, Firefox is working well now, but last night it was impossible to do any work in it .
    What I did was, well, practically install everything in your guide Feisty related - Automated script, Firefox32, Swiftweasel32, Flash, Java install guides and I did that part at the end of the page that says Feisty users should add. Maybe it's best that I completely reinstall Firefox and start all over?
    If you want to, feel free, the script installs deb packages. Swiftweasel32, Firefox32, and ia32-lib-firefox-amd64. You should be able to remove them with synaptic.You might also consider deleting your ~/.mozilla folder.

You could also just rerun the script, as it will just reinstall everything.

Beans

Hello,

First of all, let me say thanks, this helps a lot for new AMD64 users.

I used manual method and installed firefox32, flash, java and mplayer plugins. When I try the link provided in first post to test mplayer, I see a popup coming up and mplayer downloads the contents. When it reaches 99% it stops.

I see that the problem is already reported but none of the solutions (like chown, installing mplayer again or uninstalling, installing and running script later) worked for me.

Some more observations:

1. Using manual method, when I click on basic_plugins during installation of mplayer, it doesn't provide me option to install it on Feisty. It just has option for Dapper and Edgy. Is this intentional?

2. Since my manual method didn't work, I used the script and had option to install it for Feisty. I selected that and it reinstalled all components. Unfortunately I forgot to uninstall existing stuff but I hope that doesn't matter. Please let me know if that is wrong assumption.

I noticed that the script installed Java 5 (when I had already manually installed Java 6) and would like to know whether I should remove Java 6. If yes, how?

Anyways, the final end result is this:
    I just find mplayer64 on my machine and don't see mplayer32 (or just mplayer). Isn't that a problem? Any idea why even after going through manual method (or using script), it is not installing mplayer or mplayer32?

BTW, I am running Ubuntu Feisty AMD64.

TIA.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bandoba View Post
    Hello,

First of all, let me say thanks, this helps a lot for new AMD64 users.

I used manual method and installed firefox32, flash, java and mplayer plugins. When I try the link provided in first post to test mplayer, I see a popup coming up and mplayer downloads the contents. When it reaches 99% it stops.

I see that the problem is already reported but none of the solutions (like chown, installing mplayer again or uninstalling, installing and running script later) worked for me.

Some more observations:

1. Using manual method, when I click on basic_plugins during installation of mplayer, it doesn't provide me option to install it on Feisty. It just has option for Dapper and Edgy. Is this intentional?

2. Since my manual method didn't work, I used the script and had option to install it for Feisty. I selected that and it reinstalled all components. Unfortunately I forgot to uninstall existing stuff but I hope that doesn't matter. Please let me know if that is wrong assumption.

I noticed that the script installed Java 5 (when I had already manually installed Java 6) and would like to know whether I should remove Java 6. If yes, how?

Anyways, the final end result is this:
    I just find mplayer64 on my machine and don't see mplayer32 (or just mplayer). Isn't that a problem? Any idea why even after going through manual method (or using script), it is not installing mplayer or mplayer32?

BTW, I am running Ubuntu Feisty AMD64.

TIA.
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/bin/mplayer64 /usr/bin/mplayer
    The above code will fix the small issue. This is because you installed the very ancient mplayer script from the manual howto. I will mark it as not good for Feisty.
    Reinstalling the main script is a good idea, it wont do anythiong wrong, but since mplayer was already installed, and then renamed, it didnt reinstall it to make a plain mplayer binary. Symlinking it should solve that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/bin/mplayer64 /usr/bin/mplayer
    The above code will fix the small issue. This is because you installed the very ancient mplayer script from the manual howto. I will mark it as not good for Feisty.
    Reinstalling the main script is a good idea, it wont do anythiong wrong, but since mplayer was already installed, and then renamed, it didnt reinstall it to make a plain mplayer binary. Symlinking it should solve that.
    Hmmm, I feel really dumb that I didn't notice this. After, I linked it It works great now. Thanks very much.

Just one question - so now when I run firefox32, I am running firefox 32 bit with all 32 bit plugins except mplayer? I am guessing it because it in turn running mplayer64. Is that correct understanding?
    Last edited by bandoba; August 14th, 2007 at 05:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bandoba View Post
    Hmmm, I feel really dumb that I didn't notice this. After, I linked it It works great now. Thanks very much.

Just one question - so now when I run firefox32, I am running firefox 32 bit with all 32 bit plugins except mplayer? I am guessing it because it in turn running mplayer64. Is that correct understanding?
    Yes, in Feisty we can run a 64bit mplayer, the plugins will work with it.

Beans

Kilz thank you for the great post
    I'm completely new and just installed ubuntu tonight

The instructions you gave me yielded no .macromedia file, even after ever line of code you listed

any ideas?

Page 105 of 166 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155 ... LastLast