Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40

Thread: New nvidia-graphics-drivers (304.22)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Beans
    2,455
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    New nvidia-graphics-drivers (304.22)

    The newest (beta) version of nvidia-graphics-drivers (304.22) is available from the xorg-edgers PPA.
    That works just fine in QQ.
    And yes, it needs the xserver_1.12

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Beans
    796

    Re: New nvidia-graphics-drivers (304.22)

    Quote Originally Posted by harry33 View Post
    the newest (beta) version of nvidia-graphics-drivers (304.22) is available from the xorg-edgers ppa.
    That works just fine in qq.
    And yes, it needs the xserver_1.12
    +1

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Caprica
    Beans
    1,995
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: New nvidia-graphics-drivers (304.22)

    As usual, it is also available from NVIdia FTP at download.nvidia.com. I have tested 304.22 x86_64 on 3.5.0-3-generic Ubuntu (with standard repos/packages, no alternate PPAs) and it's working fine for usual desktop, OpenGL, vdpau. No speed diff from previous on gtkperf/glxgears. Flash video is hell, but then again it has always been.

    Regards,
    Effenberg

  4. #4
    dino99's Avatar
    dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nux Jam
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: New nvidia-graphics-drivers (304.22)

    i've read the phoronix comment & the nvidia changelog too: this update has some fixes and new features that will help a lot

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Brisbane Australia
    Beans
    713

    Re: New nvidia-graphics-drivers (304.22)

    Note that 304.22 still exhibits the seg fault abort.

    Aborted on me after 3 hours so unusable and back to nouveau I go. This affects many people with 8800/8600 GT and similar cards. Bug has been in all nvidia versions since at least 295.33.

    304.22 also still exhibits the bug where virtual consoles (alt+ctrl+f1-6) do not work. Again they work fine on nouveau.

  6. #6
    dino99's Avatar
    dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nux Jam
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: New nvidia-graphics-drivers (304.22)

    Quote Originally Posted by markbl View Post
    Note that 304.22 still exhibits the seg fault abort.

    Aborted on me after 3 hours so unusable and back to nouveau I go. This affects many people with 8800/8600 GT and similar cards. Bug has been in all nvidia versions since at least 295.33.

    304.22 also still exhibits the bug where virtual consoles (alt+ctrl+f1-6) do not work. Again they work fine on nouveau.
    my card is a 8500gt and does not get segfault on i386 installation. (but no compiz/unity here)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Brisbane Australia
    Beans
    713

    Re: New nvidia-graphics-drivers (304.22)

    Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    my card is a 8500gt and does not get segfault on i386 installation. (but no compiz/unity here)
    Doesn't affect everybody. Affects me with a 8600 GT driving 2 by 1920x1200 screens. I usually use gnome-shell but it also happens on unity (perhaps it only happens in 3D desktops?). Never had any problem with nvidia drivers with this same hardware for years before 12.04, i.e. started around nvidia v295.33. It is ubuntu bug 973096 but it affects people on many other linux distributions, not just ubuntu.

    It is depressing to see so little comment and action from nvidia about this problem.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Caprica
    Beans
    1,995
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: New nvidia-graphics-drivers (304.22)

    Quote Originally Posted by markbl View Post
    Doesn't affect everybody. Affects me with a 8600 GT driving 2 by 1920x1200 screens. I usually use gnome-shell but it also happens on unity (perhaps it only happens in 3D desktops?). Never had any problem with nvidia drivers with this same hardware for years before 12.04, i.e. started around nvidia v295.33. It is ubuntu bug 973096 but it affects people on many other linux distributions, not just ubuntu.

    It is depressing to see so little comment and action from nvidia about this problem.
    Ah, that bug... I think cprofitt was the first to report it after we tried every possible workaround on IRC hours before release week. Back then I had asked some Gods of the Olympus if it wouldn't be better to remove the broken version and revert to latest stable on PP release, just to avoid the huge bug report. But everyone was sure NVidia was gonna fix it in hours. Yeah, well, not likely.

    I'm on a GTS450, Unity 3D, dual monitor 1920x1080. This particular model is not affected.

    Regards,
    Effenberg

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    England
    Beans
    2,693
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: New nvidia-graphics-drivers (304.22)

    I don't know if anyone will know but the 304 drivers, when they become the next stable version will it go to 306? Just wandering what version Ubuntu 12.10 will have in the repo to use?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Beans
    15

    Re: New nvidia-graphics-drivers (304.22)

    Have a little problem with this driver. All launcher icons disappeared after installing it. I can use the launcher but I can't see the icons. If I point of them it is written what there was and no problems with opening the programs. But the icons are gone...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •