View Poll Results: How do you pronounce the word "either"?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • ee-ther

23 62.16%
  • eye-ther

14 37.84%
  • other

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you pronounce "either"?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How do you pronounce "either"?

Quote Originally Posted by t0p View Post
    No. I am a Brit and I say "ee-ther", as do most of my peer group. People I know from the "posher" level of society tend to say "eye-ther"... but that's not set in stone. Like qamelian said, depends on context (ie where you are, who you're with) and what dictionary you're using.

Though I'm American, I concur.

"Eye-ther" sounds horridly pretentious to me. I avoid it at all costs. When I hear people say it I think "This person is stupid and trying to cover it up by feeble attempts to sound intelligent." I find intelligence and "that type" of person mutually-exclusive.

Before the flames, I feel the same way about generalizations... but I never said I was perfect. so

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by t0p View Post
    No. I am a Brit and I say "ee-ther", as do most of my peer group. People I know from the "posher" level of society tend to say "eye-ther"... but that's not set in stone. Like qamelian said, depends on context (ie where you are, who you're with) and what dictionary you're using.
    Ah, I see. For some reason I thought that "eye-ther" was the standard British pronunciation. Thanks for clarifying it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I pronounce it ee-ther eye-ther or ee-ther.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Just don't mix it up with ether if you aren't wearing a respirator or you'll wake up with a headache.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I pronounce it as 'flabgabulous'.

Flagabulous that or I'm lying.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Just don't mix it up with ether if you aren't wearing a respirator or you'll wake up with a headache.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmXGVDnPU9o

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by zer010 View Post
    I use both depending on mood and context...
    Ditto. My memory is a bit hazy on which pronunciation predominated at home in my younger days.

I'm confident we could come up with a list of words with regional and contextual variations in pronunciation and meaning. Example: "sup" seems to be a greeting these days, abbreviated from "What's up?" but I can't help thinking of food when I hear it.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Nixarter View Post
    "Eye-ther" sounds horridly pretentious to me. I avoid it at all costs. When I hear people say it I think "This person is stupid and trying to cover it up by feeble attempts to sound intelligent." I find intelligence and "that type" of person mutually-exclusive.
    Lol. I've known people I've felt that way about. But I've also known people who say "eye-ther" that I didn't feel like they're an idiot, too.

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    I'm confident we could come up with a list of words with regional and contextual variations in pronunciation and meaning. Example: "sup" seems to be a greeting these days, abbreviated from "What's up?" but I can't help thinking of food when I hear it.
    What? I just thought that when people say "sup", they're inviting me to dinner!

I remember in the late 80's when it started becoming popular to say "What's up?" The first time someone said it to me, I started laughing and said, "What's up, Doc?" because I thought they were quoting Bugs Bunny.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Ji Ruo View Post
    LOVE THAT MOVIE!!! It is one of my favorite movies ever.

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Lol. I've known people I've felt that way about. But I've also known people who say "eye-ther" that I didn't feel like they're an idiot, too.
    I didn't say I was right, it is just what I've always thought, for whatever reason lol
    Last edited by Nixarter; July 14th, 2012 at 03:41 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12