View Poll Results: For next generation of (native) linux gaming, what do you hope most?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Valve's Steam portal finally released for Linux

15 75.00%
  • Android (HD) gaming to run natively on Linux

2 10.00%
  • Onlive's Linux port

1 5.00%
  • not need: this is "the year of windows"... so gaming for linux will come anyway

2 10.00%

Thread: [pool] Could, Valve or Android gaming?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

[pool] Could, Valve or Android gaming?

If you had to take a choice, for Ubuntu Gaming, which scenario would you prefer.

1. Valve finally releasing their Steam portal (no pun intended ) for linux and, hopefully, catching big name of video gaming industry in linux.
    2. Full set of dependencies to run apk (Davalik's virtual machine) in native mode on top of linux (3) kernel (for games and stuff )
    3. Onlive's linux support

Let's pool!
    What if someday login in your facebook account you're required to accept yet-another-update license agreement saying you're a total idiot? Quit Facebook, join Diaspora*
    my webcomics ~ my diasp*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: [pool] Could, Valve or Android gaming?

Steam for sure.
    Intel i5 Ivy Bridge 2.8Ghz (3.4Ghz Turbo), 64bit user, AMD GPU 7700 series

Beans

Steam. I don't need Android games, I have a smartphone for that, and I don't want onlive, that eats up bandwidth and would destroy my 150 GB cap. And I don't really like the idea of not running the games on your own computer, just doesn't feel right to me.
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Onlive would give access to a ton more games than Steam, which is essentially just a storefront. Even if we got Steam and Source ported over to Linux, most games in Steam would still be off limits to us. Get Onlive working really well and it opens up their entire library.

Beans
    Distro

I say Steam.
    Portal under Wine is terrible for the XBox controller support on the camera analog sticks.
    Plus, running it under PlayOnLinux provides NO controller support at all.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Uhh... None of the above. I dislike all of those options.

Just games running with open-GL. There is no need to muddy it up with middle-men.

Beans

Steam FoSo.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Onlive would give access to a ton more games than Steam, which is essentially just a storefront. Even if we got Steam and Source ported over to Linux, most games in Steam would still be off limits to us. Get Onlive working really well and it opens up their entire library.
    When steam was ported to OSX a lot of games developers ported their games too. Anything running directx is a write off, clearly, but it is definitely a start.

Onlive from what I've heard does not even slightly compare with running the game natively.

Beans

Steam for linux could be freaking awesome

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by morgan141 View Post
    When steam was ported to OSX a lot of games developers ported their games too.
    Mac has at least five times the number of users, and they're folks with good disposable incomes. I wouldn't be surprised if developers were a lot more cautious with Linux.

Onlive from what I've heard does not even slightly compare with running the game natively.
    I've tried it, it works surprisingly well.