Thread: Linux kernal

Beans
    Hidden!

Linux kernal

A couple of times in the forums i have read this
    linux is a kernal, nothing more
    This puzzles me, my understanding was that the linux kernal is the nucleus of
    every linux OS. The one common denominator of all 300 + distros. Since the
    main components of an OS are, kernal, desktop and software, that would make the kernal of invaluable importance would it not?
    Am i being over simplistic here? Correct me if i am wrong.
    Last edited by offgridguy; November 22nd, 2012 at 03:09 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Linux kernal

I think you most often see that as an expression indicating that, as a tool, there is no magical, mystical, metaphysical advantage of Linux over Windows or Apple.

It's part of a system that does the same things those others do: provide a tool for getting useful work done.

However, some may mean by that that the kernel is the essence of Linux, the rest is attractive window dressing and packaging.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    I think you most often see that as an expression indicating that, as a tool, there is no magical, mystical, metaphysical advantage of Linux over Windows or Apple.

It's part of a system that does the same things those others do: provide a tool for getting useful work done.

However, some may mean by that that the kernel is the essence of Linux, the rest is attractive window dressing and packaging.
    Thank you , this helps!

Beans

it is just a kernel, but the OS/distro is a system utilising that kernel, thus referred to as linux for short, meaning it is a system using linux.