Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Living with Microsoft Windows 7 for the next several years

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Living with Microsoft Windows 7 for the next several years

I deleted my two data backups of my VM Ware Workstation guest virtual machine containing Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1. I still have one remaining backup of my vmware folder and it's my Kingston DataTraveler HyperX 128 GB USB 3 thumb drive which is at PNC Bank inside my safety deposit box. I am glad that it's there so that I can retrieve it and make additional backup copies of my vmware folder back onto my LUKS encrypted hard disk drives.

Life is good now that I stopped using Windows and Office. My mind is at greater peace and ease knowing that Microsoft 0 day vulnerabilities and exploits no longer affect me. I just saved myself over $240 USD in the coming year by not using Windows and Office anymore. That's a nice chunk of change that I can spend elsewhere. I am happy now.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It's always good to be happy

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Welly Wu View Post
    ...I have Symantec Norton 360 version 6, Macecraft Software jv16 PowerTools 2012, ReviverSoft Driver Reviver 2.1, Piriform CCleaner, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Super Anti-Spyware Professional, WinPatrol Plus, QFX Software KeyScrambler Premium, VS Group Revo Uninstaller Professional,...
    Honestly, you have more AV than OS.
    How sane is that?
    What's a landing but a take off in reverse?

Beans
    Distro

Not anymore.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Welly Wu View Post
    ...Life is good now that I stopped using Windows and Office. My mind is at greater peace and ease knowing that Microsoft 0 day vulnerabilities and exploits no longer affect me....I am happy now.
    Sorry, I didn't read all 8 pages of this post. It is a great relief, isn't it?
    FWIW, I did all the same things you did in post 1 but it just got to be too much work for so little return and all my <**cough cough**> "tools" (I used to crack software way back when) would come back as "infected". Shrug. When you wrestle with pigs, I guess the saying goes...

Now we can both sleep at night!

Peace.
    What's a landing but a take off in reverse?

Beans
    Distro

I am not going to upgrade to Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64 bit.

Let me tell you a story. Tonight, my good friend came over to my home so that I could copy some data to his Seagate external desktop hard disk drive. I gave him my old Iomega eGO PLUS portable hard disk drive. It is guaranteed to work with Microsoft Windows 7.

Well, it turns out that after installing the Iomega Encryption Utility, it messed up his Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium Service Pack 1. He can no longer boot his Dell XPS 15 notebook PC. After researching this issue, it turns out Iomega shipped a buggy version of their Iomega Encryption Utility with the hard disk drive and it will cause Windows 7 64 bit to fail to boot up properly after installation. I told him to press the F8 key and boot into safe mode as well as last known good configuration. Both failed. Today, he is coming back to my home and I have to insert my Windows 7 System Repair DVD-R disc or we will have to do a full system recovery using his Dell system recovery DVD-R discs.

Microsoft Windows 7 is unreliable. It constantly crashes or fails to work properly.

Since I made the switch from Windows 7 64 bit to OpenSuSE 64 bit Tumbleweed, my life has gotten a lot better. Everything just works with OpenSuSE 64 bit Tumbleweed compared to Ubuntu.

I got a new OCZ Vertex 3 2.5" 9.3 mm SATA-III 25 nm toggle synchronous MLC NAND FLASH 120 GB Solid State Drive. I also purchased a new JacobsParts 2.5" 9.5 mm Super Speed USB 3.0 disk drive enclosure. I am waiting for it to be delivered to my home later this afternoon today. I am going to build my external SSD and I plan to use YaST 2 -> Expert Partitioner to format it using the /ext4 file system and I will use dm-crypt/LUKS using AES CBC ESSIV:SHA-256 at 256 bits 14 rounds cipher strength and SHA-1 hash algorithm to encrypt it. Then, I will type in chmod -R wellywu:users to the external SSD. I plan to use VM Ware Workstation 9 64 bit to install Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit and Red Hat Fedora 17 64 bit into two separate guest virtual machines on the OCZ Vertex 3. I plan to use them daily to keep up to date with the latest developments.

I will copy my Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 guest virtual machine onto the OCZ Vertex 3 and I will test it to make sure it works. I will keep it up to date on Patch Tuesdays every month. Otherwise, I am not going to use it daily. I will need it if I am accepted to Montclair State University in the next several weeks. They require that I use Windows 7 64 bit to connect to their network on campus. I need to download and run the Bradford Dissolvable Agent to do a malware scan and to connect to their on campus network. If this does not work, I can go to University Hall and speak to their Networking Group to register my System76 Lemur Ultra Thin (lemu4) notebook PC manually to get access to their network on campus. So, I have a legitimate reason to use Windows 7 64 bit for a brief period of time.

Otherwise, I am done with Microsoft.

Beans
    Distro

I contacted Montclair State University's IT department earlier today and they informed me that they do not offer any help or support for GNU/Linux or BSD. They told me that they only offer support for Microsoft Windows 7 32 and 64 bit or Apple Macintosh OS X 64 bit Lion or Mountain Lion for desktop and notebook PC users while they offer some limited support for Google Android 4.0.x Ice Cream Sandwich and Apple iOS 5 or 6. I must download and run the Bradford Dissolvable Agent tool in order to register and connect to the wired or wireless network on campus and this requires Windows 7 or Apple Macintosh OS X prior to being granted access to their network.

I am having huge problems with VM Ware Workstation 9.0.0 64 bit with OpenSuSE 64 bit Tumbleweed. I can get it installed, but the unofficial third-party patch for the vmnet, vmci, and vmmode kernel modules won't compile correctly no matter what I do. So, I decided to switch back to Oracle VM Virtualbox 4.2.4 64 bit and I re-installed Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 on my OCZ Vertex 3 SATA-III 120 GB SSD using my JacobsParts Super Speed USB 3.0 disk drive enclosure. It works. I got my niggling issues with Oracle VM Virtualbox resolved with the dbus-1 and vboxdrv software packages to work with my current Linux kernel 3.6.5-10-desktop. I setup and configured OpenSuSE 64 bit Tumbleweed and Oracle VM Virtualbox along with dbus-1 to work together and to update automatically with each new Linux kernel version update or release in the future.

Tomorrow, I plan to harden Windows 7 64 bit and I am a bit skittish about doing this all over again from scratch. I have so many Microsoft Windows security software applications from third-party vendors at my disposal, but I am reluctant to download, install, register, activate, and configure all of them. It is a lot of hard work that will require a few hours of my time. I think that I am going to stick to Microsoft Windows Defender and Security Essentials along with Windows Firewall and that is just about it. I want to keep Windows 7 64 bit lean and mean so it does not get corrupted or slows down over time. Besides, I use Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit rarely nowadays. I just keep it up to date on Microsoft Patch Tuesdays every month and that is all I do. I use it maybe once a month or twice and that is it.

I think that I am on the right path. Most of the third-party security software applications are quite complex and they definitely slow down Windows 7 64 bit quite a bit. It's a pain in the *** to keep them up to date with each new update and it is very expensive to keep the subscriptions active and valid over time. If MSU accepts me, then the cost of pursuing the Masters of Arts in English Writing Studies degree program will be quite expensive and I would rather spend my money on my education rather than on Windows 7 64 bit.

I still maintain subscriptions for Codeweavers CrossOver for Linux, CrashPlan+, and WiTopia personal VPN pro along with OpenDNS. These are much more affordable and I can continue to use them for the next 1 - 3 years with virtually any operating system except CrossOver for Linux. That only works with GNU/Linux for my product and support entitlement.

Oracle VM Virtualbox is a type 2 hypervisor. It is not a bare metal type 1 hypervisor like XEN. For my purposes, it will suffice to meet my daily needs.

Qubes-OS 64 bit version 1.0.0 was recently released, but it does not support Intel 3rd Generation "Ivy Bridge" CPUs or the Intel HD Graphics 4000 integrated GPU. I mention this because I hope that the Invisible Things Lab will update it with a future version that will support my System 76 Lemur Ultra Thin (lemu4) notebook PC. If this happens, then I plan to switch from OpenSuSE 64 bit Tumbleweed to Qubes OS 64 bit. The one thing that might be another gotcha is that it may not support Oracle VM Virtualbox. Usually, running a type 1 bare metal hypervisor like XEN does not work well with a type 2 hosted VM hypervisor like Oracle VM Virtualbox. This means that I might not be able to use Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit with Oracle VM Virtualbox. I will need to purchase a special version of Qubes OS 64 bit with proprietary software code to install and run Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit which means that I will have to re-install it from scratch all over again. I am not looking forward to that. Qubes OS 64 bit is built from the ground up to provide strong desktop security including the GUI. It is based on a microkernel rather than the monolithic Linux kernel. This greatly reduces its attack surface. The other thing is that I should not expect it to support OpenGL or WDDM which means that I won't be able to use Microsoft Windows Aero native. At this point, it is still early in its development cycle so anything is still possible.

Windows 7 64 bit is a bear to use and maintain and support. I have found it to be quite boring to use on a daily basis. It limits and restricts my freedom and it is prone to slowing down over time, corruption, and crashes. I want to free myself from Micrsoft and Apple products and services, but that seems to be unlikely at this point. MSU requires me to use Windows 7 64 bit on campus.

You can't get everything that you want all the time.

Beans
    Distro

I received $40.00 USD unexpectedly from my father today so I decided to purchase Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64 bit Upgrade. At first, it failed to install successfully so I decided to try again this time I opted not to keep any of my old configuration, applications, or settings from Windows 7 64 bit. It installed successfully. It is a bit early to make a final decision regarding Windows 8 Pro 64 bit yet, but so far I find it to be extremely robust in terms of stability and reliability along with speed and performance. It is quite fast and highly responsive. Overall, I am glad that I decided to upgrade for such a low cost. The improved speed, performance, and security features were well worth the cost of upgrading. I plan to use it quite frequently. I used Oracle VM Virtualbox 4.2.4 64 bit to install Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 and I upgraded to Windows 8 Pro 64 bit after my second attempt.

Beans
    Distro

I downloaded and I installed BitDefender Total Security 2013, WinPatrol PLUS, Super Anti-Spyware Professional Registered, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Registered, QFX Software Key Scrambler Premium, Microsoft EMET, Intuit Quicken Deluxe 2012, Microsoft Office 2010 32 bit Professional Plus Service Pack 1, Revo Uninstaller Professional Registered, Secunia PSI 3.0, File Hippo, Zinio Reader 4, Adobe Acrobat Reader 11, Adobe Shockwave Player 11, Adobe Flash Player 12, Oracle Java 7 JDK and JRE, LastPass Premium and Pocket, and a few more software applications that I forgot about. So far, Windows 8 Pro 64 bit has not crashed on me yet. I have had a few problems with Oracle VM Virtualbox with regard to changing the screen resolution and viewing modes, but they are easily solved once I figure out the problem and its solutions. I like it, but I don't love it yet. It works well and it's useful. I thought that it would be awful, but I found out it is pretty good. It's very fast and it's highly responsive. So far, I have had mostly positive experiences.

Beans

You forgot Solitaire from the the App store.
    This account is not active.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast