Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 82

Thread: Living with Microsoft Windows 7 for the next several years

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Beans
    399

    Re: Living with Microsoft Windows 7 for the next several years

    Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    That's probably the case 9 times out of 10, but not always. Some people love everything about Ubuntu/Linux, but there are those one or two Windows apps they just can't live without. If it's possible to use those apps without having to reboot to Windows or giving up the OS you love, it's worth it.
    Forrest, I strongly agree with you.

    For me, the Windows app that I "just can't live without" is software for doing my U.S. income tax return. That has to be done either under MS Windows or in the cloud--and, for my financial privacy and security, I simply can't see doing it in the cloud.

    Fortunately, running MS Windows in VirtualBox is a very convenient solution.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    KS, USA - OK, USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Living with Microsoft Windows 7 for the next several years

    Quote Originally Posted by rewyllys View Post
    Forrest, I strongly agree with you.

    For me, the Windows app that I "just can't live without" is software for doing my U.S. income tax return. That has to be done either under MS Windows or in the cloud--and, for my financial privacy and security, I simply can't see doing it in the cloud.

    Fortunately, running MS Windows in VirtualBox is a very convenient solution.

    I gotta know, is it Turbo Tax?

    If so, did you hear about that lady that got away with tax fraud?! She stated she made about $3.?? million dollars! She then got a return of about 2 million!
    System Specs: Processor:Intel® Core™ i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz × 4 Graphics:nVidia Quadro 2000m RAM: 8 GB

    Ubuntu User: 34379

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    KS, USA - OK, USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Living with Microsoft Windows 7 for the next several years

    Quote Originally Posted by screaminj3sus View Post
    The "regular" version of flash will still be getting security updates for the next 5 years too, and by then flash will be dying out (hopefully)
    HTML 5 ftw!
    System Specs: Processor:Intel® Core™ i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz × 4 Graphics:nVidia Quadro 2000m RAM: 8 GB

    Ubuntu User: 34379

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Beans
    54
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Living with Microsoft Windows 7 for the next several years

    I may not have all the certifications that OP has but I support numerous Windows machines in extremely diverse business environments on a daily basis, there's not many errors I don't see...

    My first advice to OP would be to remove any/all Symantec software... I don't know who suggested that to you but Norton is rubbish, it may catch all the viruses but it kills your desktop performance in the process.

    Also, if you're unfamiliar with the Windows environment, I'd be removing any/all "PC Cleaner" programs, especially those with registry editor functions built in - editing the registry in Windows is fraught with danger and should only be done with extreme caution.

    If you're running Windows in a VM, you shouldn't need anti-virus software at all but if you're intent on installing some sort of anti-malware - I suggest AVG, or Comodo. They both have free software that works just as well as any of the "up market" stuff available.

    On another note... Why did you bother with the Comptia A+, if you seemingly know very little about the Windows environment? Also, what made you go to the trouble of becoming CEH certified, then change to an Arts degree? Just wondering.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    KS, USA - OK, USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Living with Microsoft Windows 7 for the next several years

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harrison View Post
    I may not have all the certifications that OP has but I support numerous Windows machines in extremely diverse business environments on a daily basis, there's not many errors I don't see...

    My first advice to OP would be to remove any/all Symantec software... I don't know who suggested that to you but Norton is rubbish, it may catch all the viruses but it kills your desktop performance in the process.

    Also, if you're unfamiliar with the Windows environment, I'd be removing any/all "PC Cleaner" programs, especially those with registry editor functions built in - editing the registry in Windows is fraught with danger and should only be done with extreme caution.

    If you're running Windows in a VM, you shouldn't need anti-virus software at all but if you're intent on installing some sort of anti-malware - I suggest AVG, or Comodo. They both have free software that works just as well as any of the "up market" stuff available.

    On another note... Why did you bother with the Comptia A+, if you seemingly know very little about the Windows environment? Also, what made you go to the trouble of becoming CEH certified, then change to an Arts degree? Just wondering.
    Scott, I would just like to say welcome (back?) to the forums! As well as +1 you on removing symantec, the only thing they do well is their online virus assesment haha
    System Specs: Processor:Intel® Core™ i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz × 4 Graphics:nVidia Quadro 2000m RAM: 8 GB

    Ubuntu User: 34379

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Nutley, NJ
    Beans
    551
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Living with Microsoft Windows 7 for the next several years

    I have an Associate's Degree in Liberal Arts and a Bachelor of Arts in English Creative Writing which came from Montclair State University. So, I am pursuing a masters degree at the same university.

    I decided to get the IT certifications because I wanted to work in the IT industry a few years ago. I was the Help Desk and Support Technician at New Jersey Institute of Technology. My CompTIA A+ and Network+ and Security+ were essential to getting the job offer at that time.

    I did not find it very satisfying to work in the IT industry and I decided to get more security focused IT certifications for my own benefit. If I do apply for jobs in the IT industry again in the future, then I will be prepared to accept a few job offers.

    Anyway, the purchased software applications that I listed for Microsoft Windows 7 are going to stay put. Symantec Norton 360 version 6 is very light weight in terms of its footprint. Your notion is outdated with current technology. Comodo and AVG don't score nearly as high as Symantec Norton software products in AV-Test.org test results. I agree with you regarding registry cleaners, but I have had good success with Macecraft Software jv16 PowerTools 2012. It has not messed up my Windows 7 64 bit environment. It simply analyzes and cleans the Windows 7 registry. It does not defragment or optimize the registry. This is usually the source of errors.

    I would like to investigate if I can upgrade to Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64 bit or not. I can upgrade for just $39.99 USD which is a low and affordable price. I want to do it, but Montclair State University will not offer me support if I run into a problem.

    We shall see. Windows 8 will be a giant launch worldwide. I am looking forward to it with eager anticipation.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Beans
    54
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Living with Microsoft Windows 7 for the next several years

    Quote Originally Posted by cbennett926 View Post
    Scott, I would just like to say welcome (back?) to the forums! As well as +1 you on removing symantec, the only thing they do well is their online virus assesment haha
    Thanks for the welcome. First time here as a registered user, though I've stalked for answers/help for quite a few years now.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Beans
    54
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Living with Microsoft Windows 7 for the next several years

    Quote Originally Posted by Welly Wu View Post
    I have an Associate's Degree in Liberal Arts and a Bachelor of Arts in English Creative Writing which came from Montclair State University. So, I am pursuing a masters degree at the same university.

    I decided to get the IT certifications because I wanted to work in the IT industry a few years ago. I was the Help Desk and Support Technician at New Jersey Institute of Technology. My CompTIA A+ and Network+ and Security+ were essential to getting the job offer at that time.

    I did not find it very satisfying to work in the IT industry and I decided to get more security focused IT certifications for my own benefit. If I do apply for jobs in the IT industry again in the future, then I will be prepared to accept a few job offers.

    Anyway, the purchased software applications that I listed for Microsoft Windows 7 are going to stay put. Symantec Norton 360 version 6 is very light weight in terms of its footprint. Your notion is outdated with current technology. Comodo and AVG don't score nearly as high as Symantec Norton software products in AV-Test.org test results. I agree with you regarding registry cleaners, but I have had good success with Macecraft Software jv16 PowerTools 2012. It has not messed up my Windows 7 64 bit environment. It simply analyzes and cleans the Windows 7 registry. It does not defragment or optimize the registry. This is usually the source of errors.

    I would like to investigate if I can upgrade to Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64 bit or not. I can upgrade for just $39.99 USD which is a low and affordable price. I want to do it, but Montclair State University will not offer me support if I run into a problem.

    We shall see. Windows 8 will be a giant launch worldwide. I am looking forward to it with eager anticipation.
    Looks like you know exactly what you want... I don't see how we can help you?

    I must differ with you on Symantec... They are rubbish.
    I support business computers for a living, over 100 businesses, >50% of whom still run WinXP on numerous machines. If they were running Norton, I'd never get home...

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Nutley, NJ
    Beans
    551
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Living with Microsoft Windows 7 for the next several years

    Scott:

    PC World did a review of the popular anti-malware security suites and they gave BitDefender Internet Security 2012 good marks especially for cleaning up malware.

    BitDefender has their Total Security 2013 software product:

    http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions...-security.html

    I use BitDefender for Unices Free for Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit LTS and I find it to be damned good. It's very fast too. I can do a full anti-malware scan in less than 25 minutes.

    My Symantec Norton 360 product key will expire in 179 days from today. I am seriously thinking about switching to BitDefender Total Security 2013.

    Does anyone here own this software product? If so, then what do you think?

  10. #40
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Beans
    1,933
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

    Re: Living with Microsoft Windows 7 for the next several years

    Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    forrestcupp, this is either a damning counterargument to your point or a major opportunity for me. The only thing that makes MS Office unusable for me under Wine is that the font smoothing doesn't work, which makes text unreadable at an ordinary zoom level and uncomfortable otherwise. Is there a fix for this? Because if there isn't, then no, MS office certainly does not run perfectly well under Wine. If there is, I need it, now, so I can finally stop bitching about LibreOffice. = P
    Yeah, that's something that I had forgotten about. I ended up deleting all of the fonts in my Wine folder, and copying all of the True Type fonts from my real Windows install over to my ~/.fonts folder. It seemed to help a little, but I never got it looking nearly as smooth as in Windows. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I never got it perfect. I forgot about that particular problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harrison View Post
    Looks like you know exactly what you want... I don't see how we can help you?

    I must differ with you on Symantec... They are rubbish.
    I support business computers for a living, over 100 businesses, >50% of whom still run WinXP on numerous machines. If they were running Norton, I'd never get home...
    I agree with both of your points here. #1, what's the point of this thread?

    #2, Norton royally sucks. McAfee sucks, too. I agree with you on AVG, too. I've used AVG a lot, and never had anything get past it. Also, AVG doesn't slow down your computer nearly as much as Norton and McAfee. I always used the free edition, too.

    People who think they have to have 10 different things installed to keep their computers safe are over the top and living in fear. When you talk about servicing computers every day and seeing all of these errors and problems come in, you have to keep in mind that only people who have problems are going to come in to you in the first place. The 99% of people who aren't having problems don't need their computers serviced.
    Last edited by forrestcupp; July 16th, 2012 at 01:22 PM.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •