Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wine 0.9.16

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: Wine 0.9.16

Quote Originally Posted by ELD
    Who wants to pay extra for a linux version when they have the windows version

Usually you do not need to. There is often a package that will install the game natively but simply requires data from the game CD.

Beans

Could you point me to it, as i have yet to see one.

I know the game is available from tuxgames for linux but i have yet to see a installer.

Beans

this version actually made CS:Source work for me finally.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by KingBahamut
    I believe that DK2 runs fairly well under Wine.
    In my exeperience it runs much better under Wine than it does under Windows XP.

Under Wine the default hand image is a bit messed up, there are occasional sound stutters and the cut scene movies don't play. However it doesn't crash all the freakin' time rendering the game playable only with a lot of patience and saving every few minutes like it does for me under XP

I get the sound stutter problem under XP too and the missing cut scene movies may be due to having to use a no-cd patch to play under Wine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Whenever I try to get DK2 to run in wine I get errors that it cannot change the BPP. It is rather annoying and, as far as all my searching has shown, completely unsolvable. Shucks. I've pretty much given up on wine, could not get anything running at all. Native games (TA SPRING!) are really my only recourse, that or installing windows 98.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by keithjr
    Usually you do not need to. There is often a package that will install the game natively but simply requires data from the game CD.
    How would I do that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by LordRaiden
    How would I do that?

This really depends a great deal upon the game and the distro. For example, here is a gentoo portage package for heavygear2. Back when I ran gentoo, I simply installed that package and used the CD to finish the installation when it was called for. I'm sorry, I don't have much experience with other native games. You'd have to find a debian package somewhere, if one existed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12