Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows vs. Ubuntu @Transferring Files

Beans

Re: Windows vs. Ubuntu @Transferring Files

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    I see.

Have you test the raw network transfer rate? (using iperf for instance).

After checking the graph, it looks like the the copy can't hold fast ethernet speeds and is defaulting to 10Mb/s.

Just a thought.
    Regards.
    iperf was a great idea for finding the capabilities.
    Code:
    [  3] local 192.168.254.252 port 37280 connected with 192.168.254.253 port 5001
    [ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
    [  3]  0.0-10.0 sec   114 MBytes  95.1 Mbits/sec
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

I have added the following to the smb.conf file and it is still moving at 2MB/s. I only have this problem when it is ubuntu TXing/uploading/sending to another host. When Windows is serving it does so at max hardware speed.
    Code:
    read size = 65536
    read prediction = true
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
    write raw = yes
    read raw = no
    max xmit = 65535
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Your raw transfer rate seems to be OK, but I always test using a bigger bytes amount just to make the transfer run for a longer period of time. For instance:
    Code:
    iperf -n 1g -c server
    Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    I have added the following to the smb.conf file and it is still moving at 2MB/s.
    That's is interesting since you effectively reduce your speed to half from your wired example on post #3.

May be playing with other socket values and options could be helpful. Have you try matching your 'read size' with tcp buffer size?. Here is another values and options you may use.

Another source of slowness (long shot but...) could be an incorrect MTU value.

Sorry if it not much of a help, but may be some of these ideas may hint you in the right direction.
    Regards.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    Your raw transfer rate seems to be OK, but I always test using a bigger bytes amount just to make the transfer run for a longer period of time. For instance:
    Code:
    iperf -n 1g -c server

That's is interesting since you effectively reduce your speed to half from your wired example on post #3.

May be playing with other socket values and options could be helpful. Have you try matching your 'read size' with tcp buffer size?. Here is another values and options you may use.

Another source of slowness (long shot but...) could be an incorrect MTU value.

Sorry if it not much of a help, but may be some of these ideas may hint you in the right direction.
    Regards.
    The current transfer is going from Ubuntu to Windows. Not sure how to run iperf on Windows. I am working on another install with ubuntu business, which will need the same 12GB transfer. I'll mess with the smb.conf some more before starting that one.

Thanks for helping.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

I have found that it is my router setting these speeds. I can't wait to get my CCNA home lab equipment, so that I can have full control of how much bandwidth my LAN can use.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12