Thread: Update headache

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Update headache

I've been putting this off for wayyyyy too long, and now I'm faced with what is probably going to be a headache.

Currently I'm on 9.10 and that "sooner or later" time has arrived and it's certainly time to update to 12.04.

There are other "update" posts here recently, but I don't see any with my specific circumstances.

So, the questions:

1. I'm assuming I'm going to have to go through each individual update to get to 12.04. IOW, I just can't jump to 12.04. Is that correct?

2. My /home directory is on a separate partition. I'm assuming I could keep this intact throughout, BUT 9.10 uses the old GNOME desktop, so I'm guessing that somewhere along the process, the new Unity desktop may screw things up. What do I need to do, what do I need to watch out for, etc.

3. I'd like to have things as I have them now . . . GNOME desktop, panel applets, etc. Can I do that, and if so . . . how??

4. Programs and panel applets . . . do I make a list? (As I recall, there's a command to do that for the programs but NOT the panel applets. I've downloaded some of the applets because what I wanted did not show up on the "Add to panel . . ." window. So will I need to go to the URL's I downloaded the applets from and do it again?).

5. What "profiles" should I backup and restore? (Firefox . . . I'm on 13 now . . . and Thunderbird for sure . . . more?)

6. I run a Sun VM with Windows XP as a guest . . . I run it because I have all my finances on Quicken. (I tried Wine, but it was too buggy and I finally ended up using a VM.) I have a "snapshot" of my Windows guest . . . can I use that or will a restore of the .VirtualBox folder in my /home do it? Or would I better ask this question on the Oracle/Sun VM forum?

My machine is a Dell Inspiron 1545. The graphics board is Intel and I've had some trouble with it.

After I launch into this, I will post in this thread any hiccups I had so that maybe other noobs can benefit from my mistakes. But I don't want to do anything until I get some responses here.

TIA
    Last edited by BobJam; July 13th, 2012 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Spelling
    BJ