Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Update headache

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Update headache

I've been putting this off for wayyyyy too long, and now I'm faced with what is probably going to be a headache.

Currently I'm on 9.10 and that "sooner or later" time has arrived and it's certainly time to update to 12.04.

There are other "update" posts here recently, but I don't see any with my specific circumstances.

So, the questions:

1. I'm assuming I'm going to have to go through each individual update to get to 12.04. IOW, I just can't jump to 12.04. Is that correct?

2. My /home directory is on a separate partition. I'm assuming I could keep this intact throughout, BUT 9.10 uses the old GNOME desktop, so I'm guessing that somewhere along the process, the new Unity desktop may screw things up. What do I need to do, what do I need to watch out for, etc.

3. I'd like to have things as I have them now . . . GNOME desktop, panel applets, etc. Can I do that, and if so . . . how??

4. Programs and panel applets . . . do I make a list? (As I recall, there's a command to do that for the programs but NOT the panel applets. I've downloaded some of the applets because what I wanted did not show up on the "Add to panel . . ." window. So will I need to go to the URL's I downloaded the applets from and do it again?).

5. What "profiles" should I backup and restore? (Firefox . . . I'm on 13 now . . . and Thunderbird for sure . . . more?)

6. I run a Sun VM with Windows XP as a guest . . . I run it because I have all my finances on Quicken. (I tried Wine, but it was too buggy and I finally ended up using a VM.) I have a "snapshot" of my Windows guest . . . can I use that or will a restore of the .VirtualBox folder in my /home do it? Or would I better ask this question on the Oracle/Sun VM forum?

My machine is a Dell Inspiron 1545. The graphics board is Intel and I've had some trouble with it.

After I launch into this, I will post in this thread any hiccups I had so that maybe other noobs can benefit from my mistakes. But I don't want to do anything until I get some responses here.

TIA
    Last edited by BobJam; July 13th, 2012 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Spelling
    BJ

Beans
    Distro

Re: Update headache

I would say simply back up all your data, including your virtualbox VMs, and simply do a clean install. they tend to work better anyway. Restoring your files afterwards is usually pretty easy.
    The main difference between Windows forums and the Ubuntu forums is that the Ubuntu forums has hundreds of questions and thousands of answers, but Windows forums just have hundreds of questions.
    As for the OS X forums, I wouldn't know, I'm too poor.

Beans
    Distro

##1 I don't think you can do upgrades from 9.10
    Tried to help another the other day from 10.10 and it wouldn't let him.
    Better off going with a fresh install.
    ##2 I'm pretty sure you can leave it intact.
    Not sure about the rest.

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, I would just back up your important things and do a clean install.
    Ubuntu User #34927
    Linux User #553475

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by BobJam View Post
    1. I'm assuming I'm going to have to go through each individual update to get to 12.04. IOW, I just can't jump to 12.04. Is that correct?
    Sort of.

You can upgrade directly to 10.04, which is still a supported version and uses the Gnome 2 desktop you like. Since it's an LTS release you can upgrade directly to the next LTS which is 12.04.

2. My /home directory is on a separate partition. I'm assuming I could keep this intact throughout, BUT 9.10 uses the old GNOME desktop, so I'm guessing that somewhere along the process, the new Unity desktop may screw things up. What do I need to do, what do I need to watch out for, etc.
    Yes you could keep it. Settings for Gnome 2 and Gnome 3 would be kept separate so nothing would break as such. If you moved to the new Unity desktop (Gnome 3) then it would be set up from scratch and wouldn't have any of your old settings.

3. I'd like to have things as I have them now . . . GNOME desktop, panel applets, etc. Can I do that, and if so . . . how??
    By sticking with Gnome 2 on 10.04. There are ways to try and shoehorn Gnome 2-like desktops onto 12.04, but I'm not the person to talk to about that.

4. Programs and panel applets . . . do I make a list? (As I recall, there's a command to do that for the programs but NOT the panel applets. I've downloaded some of the applets because what I wanted did not show up on the "Add to panel . . ." window. So will I need to go to the URL's I downloaded the applets from and do it again?).
    Programs from the repos will be upgraded automatically. Third-party sources (such as PPAs and repos from Google or Oracle) would be disable during the upgrade, you would need to swap them over to the correct settings for the new version once the upgrade was complete and run Update Manager to get the new versions.

5. What "profiles" should I backup and restore? (Firefox . . . I'm on 13 now . . . and Thunderbird for sure . . . more?)
    That's all stored in your home folder and would be preserved.

6. I run a Sun VM with Windows XP as a guest . . . I run it because I have all my finances on Quicken. (I tried Wine, but it was too buggy and I finally ended up using a VM.) I have a "snapshot" of my Windows guest . . . can I use that or will a restore of the .VirtualBox folder in my /home do it? Or would I better ask this question on the Oracle/Sun VM forum?
    Again, all this is in your home folder and should be fine. As mentioned above you should switch the VBox repo to the correct one for your new version (just a job of changing the name in Software Sources)

Beans
    Distro

If at all possible, just upgrade to 10.04,LucidLynx. You'll still be on the ole gnome, and you'll have some breathing room until next april.

Beans
    Distro

Looks like a fresh install is the consensus.

I had tried 10.04 once and it was very unstable (which is why I went back to 9.10), so I might just do a fresh install of 12.04.

@ Paqman,

It's been a long time since I did a "fresh install". Is there an option in the 12.04 install routine whereby I can keep my existing /home partition. What I DON'T want to do is wipe that partition clean. I just want to install / and the programs I like.

Should I post another question on how to "shoehorn" GNOME 2 into Unity? Anybody know if there's a "how-to" on this?

Anyway, this "shoehorn" business sounds like what I want to do. Anybody: If I do that, would the "shoehorned" GNOME 2 take it's settings from my /home?

@ All,

Thanks VERY much for the responses.

This is the "headache" part. Will be busy the next few days taking screen shots of various programs and configs I have and backing up to USB sticks (BTW, do I plug them in during the installation of 12.04 or not? I have a vague memory that having them in during an installation is a No-No.)

What I don't want to end up with is a situation where I'm saying to myself, "I know I had something like that before, what the heck was it?"

Actually, now that I think of it, I have plenty of unallocated room on my HDD. So, can I install 12.04 AND keep 9.10 and have them both draw from my /home? I assume then (if it's even possible), I would get some sort of a boot menu. If I can do that, I would eventually ditch 9.10, but I could use it during the transition to 12.04 to see "how it was" . . . and the tedious screen shots would not be necessary.

Still taking a deep breath on this.
    BJ

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BobJam View Post
    Actually, now that I think of it, I have plenty of unallocated room on my HDD. So, can I install 12.04 AND keep 9.10 and have them both draw from my /home?
    Short answer: Yes.
    The main difference between Windows forums and the Ubuntu forums is that the Ubuntu forums has hundreds of questions and thousands of answers, but Windows forums just have hundreds of questions.
    As for the OS X forums, I wouldn't know, I'm too poor.

Beans
    Distro

@ TheGuyWithTheFace,

That's good news. Can you point me to a "how-to" on this?
    BJ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I always have two versions of Ubuntu on my computers, the one I am using and the one I switched from. When I am comfortable with the new version, the old one becomes dormant until it is time to upgrade again. Kind of like keeping the old kernel version and the latest one.
    Break it, fix it, learn something.
    People who never make mistakes seldom make anything!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast