Thread: AMD Phenom II x6 beats Intel i5 2500k at 3DMARK Vantage?

Beans

Question AMD Phenom II x6 beats Intel i5 2500k at 3DMARK Vantage?

Hello, so me and my friend decided to see whose rig was better my AMD vs his Intel. We both ran the same version of 3DMark Vantage and my CPU score was 60000 and his was around 15000. He brought up overclocking (his is at stock mine at 3.8GHZ). So I set my at stock (2.8GHZ) and it still scored 50000. My GTX 560ti creamed his 7770 which is to be expected, but I didn't expect the CPU result. Can anyone explain this?
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans

Re: AMD Phenom II x6 beats Intel i5 2500k at 3DMARK Vantage?

Quote Originally Posted by Dlambert View Post
    Hello, so me and my friend decided to see whose rig was better my AMD vs his Intel. We both ran the same version of 3DMark Vantage and my CPU score was 60000 and his was around 15000. He brought up overclocking (his is at stock mine at 3.8GHZ). So I set my at stock (2.8GHZ) and it still scored 50000. My GTX 560ti creamed his 7770 which is to be expected, but I didn't expect the CPU result. Can anyone explain this?
    How old are you guys as this seems like a contest.

Overall the i5 is a better CPU. Then again benchmarks only test certain things. That said Bulldozer has been kinda of a dud. There are a few scenarios where the AMD will dominate.

That said also look at the performance vs cost issue and in some cases AMD will shine.

GPUs should not be compared/benchmarked on different CPUs. If you are gonna bencmark GPUs do it on exactly the same MB, RAM & CPU else you are just distorting results.
    Last edited by mips; July 12th, 2012 at 07:44 PM.

Beans

Re: AMD Phenom II x6 beats Intel i5 2500k at 3DMARK Vantage?

I'm 17. And yeah we have different mb ram etc. I wasn't comparing GPUs at all.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced