Thread: Issue with external USB HDD and Plex Media Server

Hybrid View

Beans

Unhappy Issue with external USB HDD and Plex Media Server

I'm having an odd problem. I have a 160GB NTFS-formatted USB HDD which I plugged into my machine running 12.04. The drive auto-mounts, and on the desktop I can make folders, add files, etc.

I can also add files to it through the command line, and read them, so no problem there.

However, when I put all my new media on this drive, Plex Media Server could not read from it as permission was denied. I have an FTP server, and I can read and write files to the drive through that, although FileZilla says that the permissions for /media/srv (where the drive is mounted) are 700.

I have tried sudo chmod -R 755 on the drive but to no avail. I've also tried changing the permissions through FileZilla, which returned a 200 success code, but that made no difference either. What should I do now? I heard of sudo umount -l /media/srv and then sudo mount -o umask=0022 /dev/sdb1 /media/srv, but that didn't work either

Please help!

Beans

Re: Issue with external USB HDD and Plex Media Server

Exact same issue here. External HD. Can read and write to it. But Plex doesn't seem to find any of the media on the drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I have a similar problem, and started a thread about it here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2087341

In my case, the external drive is a FAT32 drive, and the in addition, includes some files in my /Home as well that cannot be found by Plex.

Did you get a resolution to this in the end?
    I suspect a permissions issue but I'm not sure where to start.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by politenessman View Post
    I have a similar problem, and started a thread about it here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2087341

In my case, the external drive is a FAT32 drive, and the in addition, includes some files in my /Home as well that cannot be found by Plex.

Did you get a resolution to this in the end?
    I suspect a permissions issue but I'm not sure where to start.
    See my reply on this post.
    Hope it helps!
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?" Having trouble compiling drivers in a different kernel?, Dual Boot Tutorial Ubuntu Hardware Support List