Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire S5

Beans

Acer Aspire S5

Hey Guys...
    I know I am jumping onto the bleeding edge of sorts, but was wondering if anyone has had any luck with getting Ubuntu running on the new S5 ultrabooks?

The main problem seems to be recognition of the SSD drives and how they are set up.
    Based on a lot of the reviews it would seem internally there are 2 SSD drives daisy chained in a Raid-0 configuration and as such on windows it appears as a single 256GB drive, and the benchmarks say I/O is super fast..

Anyhow, I don't care about the benchmarks and marketing hype...
    When I run the installer, it does not find any suitable drives at all for me to install on.

When I have a shell and run:
    fdisk -l

I see:
    root@ubuntu:/mnt# fdisk -l
    Warning: invalid flag 0x0000 of partition table 5 will be corrected by w(rite)

Disk /dev/sda: 128.0 GB, 128035676160 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 15566 cylinders, total 250069680 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x929cf226

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 2048 16779263 8388608 84 OS/2 hidden C: drive
    /dev/sda2 16779264 50333695 16777216 27 Hidden NTFS WinRE
    /dev/sda3 * 50333696 50538495 102400 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda4 50538496 500127743 224794624 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)

Disk /dev/sdb: 128.0 GB, 128035676160 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 15566 cylinders, total 250069680 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Disk /dev/sdb doesn't contain a valid partition table

Which pretty much confirms that there are 2 SSD drives in there and that the kernel recognizes them.

So, the question is, how do I get the installer to see them, and why does it say /dev/sdb does not have a valid partition table? When I check it out in windows on the Drive manager, it shows all the partitions, but again shows both drives as a single drive.

Anyhow, not sure anyone is aware of if the raid of the drives is done in software or hardware, and how do I get around this to get Linux on there.

I'm not overlly concerned about dual booting this machine, so I can wipe it (I also have a factory backup if need be). Any thoughts? Should I just go in there and re-write the partition tables and then see if the installer can find the drives?

Any help would be appreciated, and if you need any more info, let me know.
    (trying to install 12.04 Desktop btw)
    -brad

Beans

Re: Acer Aspire S5

Hey Brad59,

Have you had any further luck with your install? I'm itching to buy an ACER S5 myself...

Beans

I got Ubuntu 12.04 installed this way:
    1) USE 'Try ubuntu'
    2) run the program 'Disk Utility'
    3) select the second 64 GB solid State Disk (ATA LITEONIT CMT 64L3M)
    4) format this disk in ext4 and name it
    5) run 'Install Ubuntu 12.04'
    6) it will recognize the disk and partition it

W7 is still intact in the first 64 GB disk (in case you may want to use it one day)

enjoy installing your Ubuntu !
    Last edited by pirlouit; October 10th, 2012 at 04:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Post Re: Acer Aspire S5

I installed Ubuntu 12.04.1 via the alternate install CD...

NOTE: Press F2 at boot to get into the BIOS.

1. Set SATA to AHCI in the BIOS (you don't want that fake "RAID" option).
    2. Enable the Boot Menu in the BIOS so you can press F12 at boot to select which device to boot from.
    3. When the installer asks if you want to detect software RAID select, "no". If you select, "yes" it won't detect the drives properly.
    4. You can partition your drives however you like at this point but I deleted all existing partitions (who needs Windows?) and created a RAID 1 (striped set) with two paritions: One 5GB for swap and the rest went to / (ext4).

After booting up the first time into 12.04.1 you'll want to add 'acpi_backlight=vendor' to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT variable in /etc/default/grub so that Linux can control the backlight (LCD brightness).

You'll also want to install some things:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install laptop-mode-tools cpufreqd build-essential powertop
    Also add the Intel video PPA (has a newer version than what's in Quantal):

Code:
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:glasen/intel-driver
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    ...and enable SNA acceleration by creating the following /etc/X11/xorg.conf (seemed to make the system slightly snappier):

Code:
    # Really, this is all you need in the entire file
    Section "Device"                                                                                                                                                                                
            Identifier "Card0″                                                                                                                                                                      
            Driver "intel"                                                                                                                                                                          
            Option "AccelMethod" "sna"                                                                                                                                                              
    EndSection
    Then copy the following script to a file: /etc/laptop-mode/batt-start/acer_aspire_s5.sh

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    #
    # Author: Dan McDougall <YouKnowWho@YouKnowWhat.com>
    #
    # Description: Enables every power saving feature I know of when on battery
    #

# Enable Intel HD Audio power saving
    echo 10 > /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save
    echo Y > /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save_controller
    echo 1 > /dev/dsp # Have to make a sound to turn it on
    # The following has been commented because it doesn't appear to be working.  Still have to run it by hand as your own user after boot it seems.
    #pkill pulseaudio

# Enable WiFi power management
    /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 power on

# Enable USB autosuspend for all USB devices
    for i in /sys/bus/usb/devices/*; do echo 1 > $i/power/autosuspend; done
    for i in /sys/bus/usb/devices/*; do echo auto > $i/power/level; done
    Don't forget to set it to be executable:

Code:
    sudo chmod 755 /etc/laptop-mode/batt-start/*.sh
    NOTE: There's really no point to creating a script in /etc/laptop-mode/batt-stop/

Now for some tips...

If you upgrade to 12.10 (Quantal) you'll get video corruption after booting. This can be quickly remedied by putting the laptop to sleep (I just close the lid) and waking it back up. No idea what causes this but I've filed a bug report:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...l/+bug/1082234
    (make sure you add a comment saying this problem is also affecting you!)

If 'powertop' shows a realtek sound card at 100% utilization just mute your microphone and it'll go away. If you have the same problem with the intel audio just execute 'pkill pulseaudio' as your user (it will automatically start itself back up) and that should take care of it. For some reason I have to do this as my own user every time I go on battery... Not sure what the deal is with that but I'll see if I can figure it out.

I'm currently investigating ways to fix the "video is corrupt on boot" problem. I know that there's a patch out there that fixes it but I don't think it will apply cleanly to the kernel in 12.10 (we'll see). I might also try the 3.7-rc* kernel line since Intel added tons of i915 and HD 3000/4000 improvements... Hopefully one of those improvements will fix that S5 video problem.

Another tip: If you want to be able to use the touchpad with additional gestures (like a Mac touchpad) you'll need to install Touchegg from source. If you install the touchegg package in the Ubuntu repos it will crash so there's no point. There's instructions on doing this here:

https://code.google.com/p/touchegg/w...pileSourceCode

Just copy & paste the commands as instructed. I also installed the Touchegg GUI to configure it from here:

https://github.com/Raffarti/Touchegg-gce

I have KDE controlling the two and three-finger stuff so I could only get Touchegg to work with four-finger gestures. I assigned the four-finger swipe left/right gestures as Alt-left and Alt-right, respectively (to go forwards and back in the browser). Works great.

How to disable the touchpad while typing: Start up syndaemon. I have the following script in ~/.kde/Autostart (sorry Unity users, no idea how to configure that to start syndaemon on login):

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    syndaemon -k -i 1 -t &
    Just make sure to run 'pkill syndaemon' before you start up some first-person shooter or you won't be able to move and look with the mouse at the same time
    -Riskable
    http://riskable.com
    "Having someone to blame is not an effective IT strategy."

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I just confirmed that the video corruption problem has been fixed in the latest 3.7 kernel (from here: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...-next/current/). However, the wifi was not working after booting that kernel... So it isn't usable yet.

Another nice thing I noticed after booting the 3.7 kernel is that xdpyinfo reported correct DPI information for the S5's display. In the default Ubuntu 12.10 kernel it reports 96x96 DPI which is incorrect. It's actually more like 119x121 DPI.

I'm going to see if I can figure out the wifi problem while I've got networking again using the old kernel.
    -Riskable

Beans

Hey Riskable,

Thanks for that detailed post. It was very helpful. I've had my s5 on 12.04 for the last 3 months and tolerating inexplicable system freezes 2-3 times a day. Your tip:

> Set SATA to AHCI in the BIOS (you don't want that fake "RAID" option).

solved that problem nicely.

I also ran into the video corruption issue in 12.04 *immediately after* I applied the patches. I was thinking of upgrading to 12.10, as you mentioned that fixed the issue. Have you been successful resolving the wifi issue?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: Acer Aspire S5

Quote Originally Posted by sonnychee View Post
    Have you been successful resolving the wifi issue?
    The only wifi issue was with the newer 3.7 kernel. I could resolve it by downloading the ath9k drivers and compiling them myself but I don't want to be running an unstable (RC) kernel. I'll just wait until the next version of Ubuntu is out (or when the beta is ready). I don't reboot often enough for the display corruption to be more than a minor annoyance.

The wifi is actually working fantastically well: Been connected at 130MBit/sec for weeks now without issue.

For reference, I have *not* been experiencing any lock-ups, freezes, or any other such troublesome behaviors. The laptop is running great.
    -Riskable

Beans

Hey Riskable,

Every since I rebuilt my laptop, it's been rock solid. No lockups and freezes. Have you had any success with the bluetooth mouse?

Beans

Hey Riskable,

Did you have any luck enabling the Bluetooth mouse?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Post Re: Acer Aspire S5

Sorry about the late reply... Apparently I'm not getting notification emails on threads I'm subscribed to (I'll be fixing that!).

THE VIDEO CORRUPTION PROBLEM HAS BEEN FIXED. A recent update (some time in the past month) has resolved the issue. I don't know when it was because I rebooted for the first time in a month last night (I love Linux ) and that's when I noticed.

Anyway, regarding the Bluetooth: It probably won't work by default until Ubuntu 13.04 but it *can* work in 12.10 if you compile/install the driver yourself. I don't care enough about Bluetooth to bother but if you want to get it working just follow the instructions in this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12158555
    -Riskable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast