Thread: Asus N53S wifi not working

Beans

Angry Asus N53S wifi not working on Ubuntu 12.04

Hello,

I have a new Asus N53S notebook. I have installed Ubuntu 12.04 on it.

I'm having problems with the wireless network. I have a linksys router at home, and it only connects to the wireless network if I'm next to the router. Also, it doesn't keep connected, it last a few minutes, and then it disconnects, then connects again for a few more minutes. I tried to connect at work, where there are several wireless networks available, but it didn't find any... other devices could connect without any problem.

I read a lot of posts about similar problems, but all of them are on Ubuntu 11, and most of them solved the problems reinstalling a new version of the network drivers. I tried this, but it didn't work.

I'll appreciate any help or hint! Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by diegocaprioli; July 11th, 2012 at 11:49 PM. Reason: change title

Beans

Re: Asus N53S wifi not working

Hello,

I've same problem with my asus N53S (ubuntu 12.04.1), any news about the resolution ?

Thanks
    Last edited by rumesh; August 26th, 2012 at 06:07 PM.

Beans

Hello,

The problem after all was not with Ubuntu, but with the notebook itself. I reported the problem to shop where I bought it, and they changed it immediately (I was on warranty time).

It seems that the wifi network card was disconnected from the antenna. If you are on warranty, I recommend that you get in touch with your provider. If not, there are some sites that show how to dismantle this notebook, and where the wifi card and antenna are located, but it doesn't look easy.

Beans

I believe that this is not only your laptop problem - I have same issue on my G53SW laptop. Wireless does not work with Ubuntu 12.04 only, I also have CentOS 6.4 installed there and it is just fine. Windows 7 works fine as well

Beans

Hello,

@diegocaprioli : thanks for your return, but after lot of opération that I cannot remember my wifi is working, with some trouble sometime.

As says potahov, my wifi card works well on win 7 so I think it's just a software issue and not hardware.

Before I upgrade to 12.04 I was in 11.04 (I did the upgrade 11.10 and 12.04 :-p), and on 11.04 I never have problems with the wifi connection, my nvidia graphics card was detected, my Bluray read all.

But now, only intel graphics card is detected, my bluray doesn't work (I followed few advise on some forums to fix it but nothing works, and it really work fine on win 7)

I think, there are really drivers issue on 12.04, hope it will be fixed on 12.10