Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a High Quality Distrobution for Gaming RIg.

Beans

Question Looking for a High Quality Distrobution for Gaming RIg.

I would like to try something new on my gaming rig, but it's gonna have to be worth dual booting. I need a very polished distro with easy dual booting, the latest software, and easy Nvidia driver installation. I previously used Ubuntu 12.04 but switched to Fedora 17 Due to better graphics performance in GNOME shell. I'm looking at NetRunner, Mandriva (Might give Mageia another shot), or just plain sticking with Fedora. I also need an upgradeable distro, for example from V1-V2 without a fresh install. If anyone has any suggestions they would be appreciated! Thank you!

I will use the Distro for any game that has a native Linux Client. Any Base is fine. But I do not have the INTERNET 24/7 (and when I do it's a USB modem) so Arch is out of the question...
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans

Re: Looking for a High Quality Distrobution for Gaming RIg.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlambert View Post
    I would like to try something new on my gaming rig, but it's gonna have to be worth dual booting. I need a very polished distro with easy dual booting, the latest software, and easy Nvidia driver installation. I previously used Ubuntu 12.04 but switched to Fedora 17 Due to better graphics performance in GNOME shell. I'm looking at NetRunner, Mandriva (Might give Mageia another shot), or just plain sticking with Fedora. I also need an upgradeable distro, for example from V1-V2 without a fresh install. If anyone has any suggestions they would be appreciated! Thank you!

I will use the Distro for any game that has a native Linux Client. Any Base is fine. But I do not have the INTERNET 24/7 (and when I do it's a USB modem) so Arch is out of the question...
    Personally for me I use slackware x64-current with KDE 4.8x which is super quick on this hardware which covers everything you said.

Obviously YMMV, i run the latest hardware with a Nvidia gtx 3gb 580, dual booting with Win 7 purely for SWTOR purposes.

I consider myself a proficient Linux user so configurability is not an issue for me, i have the latest versions of everything software wise and its rock solid even though its current.

For dual booting, i dont think the distro itself matters much, it will either be Lilo or Grub, i personally use Lilo.

I do an update whenever i like usually once a week based on the changelog.

But to be honest i would be comfortable using any Linux distro so i guess it depends on your comfort zone.

Peace
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    Personally for me I use slackware x64-current with KDE 4.8x which is super quick on this hardware which covers everything you said.

Obviously YMMV, i run the latest hardware with a Nvidia gtx 3gb 580, dual booting with Win 7 purely for SWTOR purposes.

I consider myself a proficient Linux user so configurability is not an issue for me, i have the latest versions of everything software wise and its rock solid even though its current.

For dual booting, i dont think the distro itself matters much, it will either be Lilo or Grub, i personally use Lilo.

I do an update whenever i like usually once a week based on the changelog.

But to be honest i would be comfortable using any Linux distro so i guess it depends on your comfort zone.

Peace
    Thank you. I'll look into slack.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans

Cool Re: Looking for a High Quality Distrobution for Gaming RIg.

Bump

Beans

Bump
    You could of installed 20 distros by now and found one you like

Beans
    Hidden!

Personally for me I use slackware x64-current with KDE 4.8x which is super quick on this hardware which covers everything you said....
    +1 for slack.
    What's a landing but a take off in reverse?

Beans

You could of installed 20 distros by now and found one you like
    Yeah..but I'm trying to find one worth of dual booting.

Beans

Yeah..but I'm trying to find one worth of dual booting.
    you will only know if you try it, not a word anyone says on here including me will be representative of your experience, your hardware and knowledge are variables we cant account for.

Try it and see

Peace

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

basically all games on any distro i have tested worked descent. I suggest just using a distro that is extremely lightweight so that the games can use more available memory when needed. I current game ONLY on bodhi 10.04 waiting for 12.04 to fresh install and put a ton of games on but I am losing my internet soon so that may not happen myself. I am in search of alot of games for 10.04 right now. other than bodhi use wattos, or zorin lite not core it uses twice the memory. also try out semplice (like crunchbang sort of)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by slixz85 View Post
    basically all games on any distro i have tested worked descent. I suggest just using a distro that is extremely lightweight so that the games can use more available memory when needed. I current game ONLY on bodhi 10.04 waiting for 12.04 to fresh install and put a ton of games on but I am losing my internet soon so that may not happen myself. I am in search of alot of games for 10.04 right now. other than bodhi use wattos, or zorin lite not core it uses twice the memory. also try out semplice (like crunchbang sort of)
    Bodhi is a no go because of lack of 64Bit. I have 16 gigs of ram.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast