Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Looking for a High Quality Distrobution for Gaming RIg.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Beans
    1,421

    Question Looking for a High Quality Distrobution for Gaming RIg.

    I would like to try something new on my gaming rig, but it's gonna have to be worth dual booting. I need a very polished distro with easy dual booting, the latest software, and easy Nvidia driver installation. I previously used Ubuntu 12.04 but switched to Fedora 17 Due to better graphics performance in GNOME shell. I'm looking at NetRunner, Mandriva (Might give Mageia another shot), or just plain sticking with Fedora. I also need an upgradeable distro, for example from V1-V2 without a fresh install. If anyone has any suggestions they would be appreciated! Thank you!

    I will use the Distro for any game that has a native Linux Client. Any Base is fine. But I do not have the INTERNET 24/7 (and when I do it's a USB modem) so Arch is out of the question...
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Shadow Gallery
    Beans
    6,807

    Re: Looking for a High Quality Distrobution for Gaming RIg.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dlambert View Post
    I would like to try something new on my gaming rig, but it's gonna have to be worth dual booting. I need a very polished distro with easy dual booting, the latest software, and easy Nvidia driver installation. I previously used Ubuntu 12.04 but switched to Fedora 17 Due to better graphics performance in GNOME shell. I'm looking at NetRunner, Mandriva (Might give Mageia another shot), or just plain sticking with Fedora. I also need an upgradeable distro, for example from V1-V2 without a fresh install. If anyone has any suggestions they would be appreciated! Thank you!

    I will use the Distro for any game that has a native Linux Client. Any Base is fine. But I do not have the INTERNET 24/7 (and when I do it's a USB modem) so Arch is out of the question...
    Personally for me I use slackware x64-current with KDE 4.8x which is super quick on this hardware which covers everything you said.

    Obviously YMMV, i run the latest hardware with a Nvidia gtx 3gb 580, dual booting with Win 7 purely for SWTOR purposes.

    I consider myself a proficient Linux user so configurability is not an issue for me, i have the latest versions of everything software wise and its rock solid even though its current.

    For dual booting, i dont think the distro itself matters much, it will either be Lilo or Grub, i personally use Lilo.

    I do an update whenever i like usually once a week based on the changelog.

    But to be honest i would be comfortable using any Linux distro so i guess it depends on your comfort zone.

    Peace
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Beans
    1,421

    Re: Looking for a High Quality Distrobution for Gaming RIg.

    Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    Personally for me I use slackware x64-current with KDE 4.8x which is super quick on this hardware which covers everything you said.

    Obviously YMMV, i run the latest hardware with a Nvidia gtx 3gb 580, dual booting with Win 7 purely for SWTOR purposes.

    I consider myself a proficient Linux user so configurability is not an issue for me, i have the latest versions of everything software wise and its rock solid even though its current.

    For dual booting, i dont think the distro itself matters much, it will either be Lilo or Grub, i personally use Lilo.

    I do an update whenever i like usually once a week based on the changelog.

    But to be honest i would be comfortable using any Linux distro so i guess it depends on your comfort zone.

    Peace
    Thank you. I'll look into slack.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Beans
    1,421

    Cool Re: Looking for a High Quality Distrobution for Gaming RIg.

    Bump
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Shadow Gallery
    Beans
    6,807

    Re: Looking for a High Quality Distrobution for Gaming RIg.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dlambert View Post
    Bump
    You could of installed 20 distros by now and found one you like
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Pelican Bay Correctional
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Looking for a High Quality Distrobution for Gaming RIg.

    Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    Personally for me I use slackware x64-current with KDE 4.8x which is super quick on this hardware which covers everything you said....
    +1 for slack.
    What's a landing but a take off in reverse?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Beans
    1,421

    Re: Looking for a High Quality Distrobution for Gaming RIg.

    Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    You could of installed 20 distros by now and found one you like
    Yeah..but I'm trying to find one worth of dual booting.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Shadow Gallery
    Beans
    6,807

    Re: Looking for a High Quality Distrobution for Gaming RIg.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dlambert View Post
    Yeah..but I'm trying to find one worth of dual booting.
    you will only know if you try it, not a word anyone says on here including me will be representative of your experience, your hardware and knowledge are variables we cant account for.

    Try it and see

    Peace
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Beans
    302
    Distro
    Lubuntu

    Re: Looking for a High Quality Distrobution for Gaming RIg.

    basically all games on any distro i have tested worked descent. I suggest just using a distro that is extremely lightweight so that the games can use more available memory when needed. I current game ONLY on bodhi 10.04 waiting for 12.04 to fresh install and put a ton of games on but I am losing my internet soon so that may not happen myself. I am in search of alot of games for 10.04 right now. other than bodhi use wattos, or zorin lite not core it uses twice the memory. also try out semplice (like crunchbang sort of)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Beans
    1,421

    Re: Looking for a High Quality Distrobution for Gaming RIg.

    Quote Originally Posted by slixz85 View Post
    basically all games on any distro i have tested worked descent. I suggest just using a distro that is extremely lightweight so that the games can use more available memory when needed. I current game ONLY on bodhi 10.04 waiting for 12.04 to fresh install and put a ton of games on but I am losing my internet soon so that may not happen myself. I am in search of alot of games for 10.04 right now. other than bodhi use wattos, or zorin lite not core it uses twice the memory. also try out semplice (like crunchbang sort of)
    Bodhi is a no go because of lack of 64Bit. I have 16 gigs of ram.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •