Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: printer

Beans
    Hidden!

printer

I am unable to get my printer to work with libre office, my ubuntu is 12.04 version.
    I have my printer ie: brother dcp 7030 set as default printer, however no luck when
    I want to print. The computer says it recognizes the printer and sometimes says
    sending data to printer but printer says no data. Same printer works fine on my other
    computer with windows 7, all help appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: printer

Can you print a test page within the Printer Settings?
    Asus Zenbook: Solus 4.1 GNOME | Dell Latitude: Ubuntu 20.04 Server

Beans
    Hidden!

Thank's for your interest, I just tried a test page within the printer settings and the result is negative,
    The request gets submitted but nothing happens. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro

No worries... I've had *many* printer issues over the years and wanted to lend a hand if I could help in any way.

Just a few questions:
    • How did you add the printer?
    • Is it directly or network attached?
    • Have you chacked if thie printer's manufacturer has special Linux drivers available on its website?

Beans
    Hidden!

I added the printer through the system settings, printing using the tools available.
    The printer is directly attached via usb cable.
    I haven't checked the manufacturer's website yet, thanks for the suggestion.

Beans
    Distro

Well, step one would be to delete your printer and try re-adding it--which you likely have already done. If you haven't, please do so.

Beans
    Distro

If I may butt in here, Brother has an installer script that has been perfect for me installing printers. Doesn't help with scanner functions though which are more of a PITA.

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...rn.html#f00104

The script shows a problem with a missing spool file or folder, forget which but my printers still work and when I check the folder/file is present.
    Last edited by kurt18947; July 11th, 2012 at 01:34 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I just deleted and re-added the printer. Everything seems to go fine as to following the prompts
    up to the print a test page, where it still does nothing. I did contact the brother website re;
    drivers, linux compatible, am awaiting reply.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thank you for the advice, i downloaded the script but am having trouble installing the printer driver.
    In the help section 6 no. 3 it says enter this command to extract the downloaded file,
    Command: etc......
    I can't see where to enter this command, any advice?

Beans
    Distro

You don't need to use the CLI to extract the file. If you find the file with Nautilus and right-click it, you should be able to extract it. Just remember where you put it. The actual script does need to be run from the command line. You need to do this from an account with sudo or 'administrator' privileges. I saved the file 'linux-brprinter-installer-1.0.4-1 to Desktop. I then extracted it and got a file by the same name. Open a terminal and enter "cd Desktop" then "dir". You should see the file listed. At that point you can type in the terminal "sudo bash linux-brprinter-installer-1.0.4-1". (Cheat-hint: right-click copy and paste work in terminal) It should then ask you for the model. Enter something like "MFC-7030" and yes, letter case does matter. At that point the script should run, ask for a couple "do you agree?" questions, ask what kind of connection etc. etc.

Why does Brother not have a GUI application for this? There are a number of different desktops in the various distros. The above script works in ALL distros and desktops afaik.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast