Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what version of Ubuntu?

Beans

what version of Ubuntu?

I have a dell D430 that has a core2duo processor. is that processor a 64 bit processor? what is the best version of Ubuntu to use?

Beans

Re: what version of Ubuntu?

Yes, it is 64 bit. Version is a matter of taste. I suggest to start with Ubuntu 12.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It depends on the amount of Ram. If you have 1Gb or less I would recommend you to stick with xubuntu or lubuntu. If you have more than 1Gb, then definitely stick with Ubuntu.

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A QUANTAL QUETZAL IS...BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE PRETZEL AND I LIKE PRETZEL

Beans

^+1
    Again, depends on the amount of ram, and also your personal taste, if you have more than 1gb, then go for Ubuntu 12.04 or Kubuntu 12.04, if less than 1gb, go for Lubuntu or Xubuntu. Ubuntu uses the Unity desktop environment, Kubuntu uses KDE, Lubuntu uses LXDE, and Xubuntu uses XFCE, all very nice distributions.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans

My post above showed the distro's with their default DE's, Lubuntu also comes with Openbox, but I would not recommend that for new users to Linux.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans

i DLed the 64 bit version of Ubuntu and it says amd64. will that work with the 64bit core2duo Intel chip?

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Dave.B View Post
    i DLed the 64 bit version of Ubuntu and it says amd64. will that work with the 64bit core2duo Intel chip?
    Yes it will work, don't worry about the amd designation.

I think amd64 refers to the instruction set of the chip rather than the maker of the chip.
    Last edited by PaulW2U; July 10th, 2012 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Added info

Beans
    Distro

yes
    I'm thinking about it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by codingman View Post
    ^+1
    Again, depends on the amount of ram, and also your personal taste, if you have more than 1gb, then go for Ubuntu 12.04 or Kubuntu 12.04, if less than 1gb, go for Lubuntu or Xubuntu. Ubuntu uses the Unity desktop environment, Kubuntu uses KDE, Lubuntu uses LXDE, and Xubuntu uses XFCE, all very nice distributions.
    Isn't 64bit capable of handling >3 GB of RAM while the 32bit require an extra "step" to see more than 3GB?
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro

True, but codingman was speaking in general, since we still don't know the amount of Ram. Edit;
    Last edited by GreatDanton; July 10th, 2012 at 05:23 PM.

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A QUANTAL QUETZAL IS...BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE PRETZEL AND I LIKE PRETZEL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast