Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: nvidia-current broken...at my wit's end....

Beans

Re: nvidia-current broken...at my wit's end....

Quote Originally Posted by mbobak View Post
    So far, so good, working great, I have a much upgraded kernel (3.5....something), among many other very bleeding edge (but so far stable) packages.
    Be aware that xorg-edgers ppa is very volatile so be prepared for things to break. For example, I currently can not use nvidia driver due to bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rs/+bug/973096 so am using nouveau. However, currently nouveau driver locks up my system after a couple of hours if I use the 3.5 kernel installed by xorg-edgers, I have to pin back to the generic 3.2 kernel. These kind of bugs have happened to me on previous ubuntu releases where I have used xorg-edgers ppa.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: nvidia-current broken...at my wit's end....

Thanks for the warning, Mark.

I'll probably just leave it w/ x edgers till something horribly breaks, then roll back to stock Ubuntu and hope my nvidia-current problem is solved there.

In my case, as a side effect, it actually fixed two other minor issues that I was suffering with.

This is a HTPC system, and, every time I booted, it would lockup with a blank screen, from cold boot. I'd have to boot, wait for lockup, then warm reboot, and it would be fine. No idea why.

Second, if I turned off my monitor, the system would lock up.

With x edgers, the 3.5 kernel and the new nvidia driver, both those problems have disappeared.

So, I'm a little bit afraid of new problems, but, so far, it's fixed multiple problems for me.

I'll keep a close eye on it. As I said, it's an HTPC, and my primary way to watch TV, so, stability is pretty important to me.

-Mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12