Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fedora Core 4 Test 1: First Impressions

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Fedora Core 4 Test 1: First Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by darkoptix
    It took 37min for jdong to realise that Fedora blows ???
    Yeah, you missed a lot about jdong and his Fedora experiences.

It's a LOT more than 37 minutes

Beans

and to think I was about 1 hour away from trying it

Beans

I recently moved from FC3 to Ubuntu as my primary workstation OS.
    I have good reasons why I like Ubuntu better than FC3 and I wont go into them here.

However, Fedora is still a pretty good distro, I wouldn't write it off so fast.
    Why do these threads always turn into *INSERT OTHER DISTRO NAME HERE* bashing ?

Come on guys

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Get off the Fedora bashing, it's a fine distro - as if jdong won't review it, I sure will, I'm burning the FC4test1 cds as well speak, I sadly don't have a fancy amd64 rig to test it on so you'll have to live with x86

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I look away for a few hours and it turns into a distro bash... All I said was that I'm too busy to test another distro -- I didn't say anything about Fedora....

Personally, I'm very interested in the distro.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

yep thats the idea I got as well.

I was just making a joke in my comment as well.
    I will still test it out as well. I know I hate RPM's though

no seriously I'd like to give it a try.

Maybe it's just a toutchy subject

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.04 Raring Ringtail

ubuntu and fedora are two hot distros at the moment. they have different appoches: apt vs rpm; big install vs little install. but they are also quite similar, both have fast release cycles and hot off the compiler software, new gnomes, kernels, etc.

also the relation between fedora and RHEL seems similar to ubuntu and debian. i imagine some people will strong disagree with me, but that how i see it.

i think a bit of friendly competition is good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Whats fedora ?

Sounds like a girlie name or some kinky obsession, or... nah nm
    Mainboard : Asus-something | CPU : Phenom II X6 1100 T @ 3.3 GHz
    RAM: 8GB DDR3 (1600) | Video: 2x ATI Radeon 6850 "toxic" (1GB versions)
    HDD: 6 TB | Display: 2x 23" @ 1920x1080 (HP 2309m)| Linux: Gnu/Linux

Beans

if you read what people say on Slashdot it looks a bit touch and go to me.... Anyway i like what I have at the moment....

http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/05/0...id=110&tid=106

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Okay, I install Fedora Core 4 test 1now the following are my findings.

It installed nicely, aside some odd switching back and forth between cds something I've never seen with Fedora before - for the first time in my life I've used cd 4.

Okay the bad news, when it first booted, firstboot didn't start because of python issues - so only the root account was present, sadly do to something I'm tempted to attribute to SELinux it didn't save the password I gave it during the anaconda installer. So a reboot with SELinux=0 later and some yum magic to update a few packages I had X and SELinux back.

As usual with the Development branch of Fedora packages don't always install because of conflicts, this happened today as well - so selective updates to avoid the problem library were the only way around the problem - I expect this will be fixed tomorrow.

I selected Danish in the installer, yet LANG=da_DK.UTF-8 wasn't set, and the provided tool fails to set it correctly - very disappointing since Fedora always supported languages well. The config files look okay so where the problem lies I don't know.

Otherwise programs start the same as always, OpenOffice2 is present but the icons and theme stuff hasn't been enabled yet so it doesn't look as nice as it did in OOo1 (or Hoary's OOo2 for that matter).

The desktop theme is bluecurve as always, meaning I'll have to live without clearlooks which was present in Hoary and I like very much - personal preference

Sadly the up2date/rhn-applet replacement pup wasn't ready for the FC4t1 release, I hope it will be ready soon because I like visual confirmation that I have updates waiting - I for one liked the throbbing red icon in the tray in the previous releases, it was noticable.

So what's new:

GCC4 meaning we now have some cool free stuff like Java, and there's a new protective meassure in glibc/gcc generally known as fortification - I'm a big fan of security so more is always welcome and Fedora has always rolled out security by default, like exec-shield, SELinux, a default firewall and now this added protection.

GNOME 2.10, we all know this rocks.. so no need to go into detail here. (I believe KDE 3.4 is also present, but I'm relatively indifferent to KDE so I haven't installed it)

OOo2, again no introduction needed - it still needs polish though.

Fedora Extras, it should be enabled by default now, but I haven't had time to play with it.

Xen, this looks like fun, but I don't personally have a use for it yet - Rik van Riel is doing some hard work beating it into shape I think.

Overall I think, despite these gross issues, that FC4 is looking good, and by all means if you have the time and skills needed, please install it somewhere and start posting bugs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast