Thread: Error message while checking for updates

Beans

Error message while checking for updates

I am receiving this error message when attempting to check for regular updates:

An unresolvable problem occurred while initializing the package information.

Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the following error message:

'E:Encountered a section with no Package: header, Eroblem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_precise_restric ted_binary-i386_Packages, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.'

Any ideas? The only thing that was different was immediately prior to getting this error message I arrived at work and hadn't logged into the wireless network but attempted to check for updates. I canceled, rebooted, and logged into the wireless network. Now each time I attempt to check for updates I get the above error message.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Error message while checking for updates

Welcome to Ubuntu,

Run this in a terminal it will unlock that file so you can update

Code:
        sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock
    Then you can update

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    sudo apt-get autoremove

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It the above doesn't work then try removing the .list files with
    Code:
    sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/* -rf
    and then running
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    to reload them.

Good luck
    Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |

Beans

Thank you both!

Now, stupid question since I unlocked and updated from the terminal, do I need to run any further commands to install the updates?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You should be good to go, if there are problems similar to this you might have to dig a little deeper to correct the problem.

Beans

Thanks! I am just having issues getting a downloaded software package to install. I keep getting the error message cannot unpack jar files

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

This error message showed up today in my upper taskbar:

An unresolvable problem occurred while initializing the package information.

Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the following error message:

'E:Encountered a section with no Package: header, Eroblem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_precise_restric ted_binary-i386_Packages, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.'
    This thread really saved the day!

Thank you jmfal & plucky!!
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.