Thread: Meerkat for web server?

Beans

Meerkat for web server?

OK, so I've had my Pangolian for a month now and am a satisfied customer. I've had my desktop machine for seven years now, and it seems to crash a lot, but the local computer store couldn't find anything wrong with it after running hardware tests for two days (seems odd - something ought to be wrong somewhere?), so it may be time for a new machine. Here is what I use my desktop machine for:

Server for my domain - email, and my personal web page. Mostly I use the web page to share pictures - lots of them. Someday I might put some video there, but not yet.

Server for wireless - I have the internet go directly into my desktop machine, and then plug an access point into that, so the firewall on my desktop covers the whole house

Watching the occasional video, web surfing (like this) and lightweight office stuff, and some programming (Eclipse). Not much else. Certainly no video games, but I want to be able to watch videos uninterrupted.

I'm thinking of installing MythTV one of these days, but haven't done it yet. I realize that is a big deal and could easily make all the difference. For now, I won't be doing it.

Will the Meerkat handle that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Re: Meerkat for web server?

Quote Originally Posted by grizdog View Post
    Assuming that you are talking about Meerkat Ion NetTop (with Dual Core Atom D525), I am doing something similar with an Atom-based computer, not from S76 (sacrilege I know), running Linux, and maybe my experience would be of some relevance to you.

Web server, file server, media server - works well. Internally I am using it mainly for MP3s (which are typically bigger than photos) and all the random files of the household (gigabytes of crap). Externally it runs a few low-traffic web sites.

Plays videos OK but I don't do this a lot.

Web surfing - this particular web site should be fine but the computer is sometimes a bit unresponsive on badly overengineered web sites. I use it only for occasional web surfing e.g. when no other computer is switched on. I would normally surf the web from my spiffy new laptop from S76.

Firewall - that is on my radar but I haven't tried it. I would expect it to be reasonable unless you have a really high bandwidth internet connection. (For example, if you had a 1 Gbit/sec internet connection it might not be up to the job.)

Edit: Sorry missed some items. Office - yes, I have OpenOffice on it and it runs fine - although I am more likely to use the laptop to run LibreOffice with the files on the file server rather than use VNC to open a session on the file server and edit the documents directly.

Programming - I'm assuming Java - I have my doubts about this. Runs Java applications fine but I think I would do the development on a more capable computer. That's what I do anyway.

Email - I'm not doing that although I have thought about it. I expect it would be OK.
    Last edited by Newbunto; July 10th, 2012 at 05:24 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Meerkat for web server?

Quote Originally Posted by grizdog View Post
    OK, so I've had my Pangolian for a month now and am a satisfied customer. I've had my desktop machine for seven years now, and it seems to crash a lot, but the local computer store couldn't find anything wrong with it after running hardware tests for two days (seems odd - something ought to be wrong somewhere?), so it may be time for a new machine. Here is what I use my desktop machine for:

Server for my domain - email, and my personal web page. Mostly I use the web page to share pictures - lots of them. Someday I might put some video there, but not yet.

Server for wireless - I have the internet go directly into my desktop machine, and then plug an access point into that, so the firewall on my desktop covers the whole house

Watching the occasional video, web surfing (like this) and lightweight office stuff, and some programming (Eclipse). Not much else. Certainly no video games, but I want to be able to watch videos uninterrupted.

I'm thinking of installing MythTV one of these days, but haven't done it yet. I realize that is a big deal and could easily make all the difference. For now, I won't be doing it.

Given all of your uses, I think a Ratel would be a better option. Meerkats and Atom in general isn't really well suited to the needs of running servers, particularly when it comes to robustness.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!