Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: full screen magnification in gnopernicus or other magnifier?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: full screen magnification in gnopernicus or other magnifier?

There is a simple magnification thingy built into the X windows system, not quite sure if it's supposed to be a screen magnifier or what, I suppose it is, but it's very quick and easy to use.

Funally the problems, it doesn't seem to follow the cursor, just the mouse, but there may be some settings to change somewhere.

Anyway, all you have to do is hit Control-Alt-Numberpad Plus together, hit it again to zoom in further, after it zooms to it's maximum it will pop back out to normal size, or you can use Control-Alt-Numberpad Minus to zoom out.

Just remember that it must be numberpad plus and minus.

Hope this is helpful.
    Try the best game since Tetris - http://slingshot.wikispot.org/
    Downloads available for Ubuntu (including derivatives), other Linux and Windows.

Beans

If you are interested in a Windows screen magnifier similar (though not quite as good) to Zoomtext, try the freeware version of iZoom. The company is (i)ssist. http://http://www.issist.com/index.asp?page=iZoom

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by musther View Post
    There is a simple magnification thingy built into the X windows system, not quite sure if it's supposed to be a screen magnifier or what, I suppose it is, but it's very quick and easy to use.

Funally the problems, it doesn't seem to follow the cursor, just the mouse, but there may be some settings to change somewhere.

Anyway, all you have to do is hit Control-Alt-Numberpad Plus together, hit it again to zoom in further, after it zooms to it's maximum it will pop back out to normal size, or you can use Control-Alt-Numberpad Minus to zoom out.

Just remember that it must be numberpad plus and minus.

Hope this is helpful.

hey cool find! Unfortunately, it is not working on my computer. the screen goes black and then comes back on. I cAn tell that it has magnified things, but it looks all streaky and completely unreadable. Anybody know what the problem could be? i'm using the default mesa project drivvers for my ATI radeon 300 mobile card, because the ATI driver is being a pain.

Beans

Hi people,

I'm one of the gnome-mag developers and I'm currently working in full screen support using the COMPOSITE extension. Something similar in what is being done in compiz-mag and xmcm.

We achieve a very good performance compared to gnome-mag (without composite) and xmcm performance.

These changes are not yet in CVS, but if someone wants to try it (have any development experience) patchs to make it's works can be found in http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=348375

This works better with X11R7.1, what is not shipped with the majority of the distributions, but it must work also with X11R7.0. How I have already talked, this is not working perfectly, but if someones want to see it or help with it, I'm leaving the path.

Best regards,
    Carlos.

Beans

Hi,
    I'm glad I found this forum thread! I'm also one of those wanting to switch to Linux, but haven't got full-screen magnification to work and therefore a switch for me is inpossible. I can use the OS at low resolutions if I hold a magnifying glass up to the screen, so I can (try to) get things working. In Windows I use Zoomtext, at a magnification at 3x, and at 800x600 screen resolution. I also frequently use the invert colors feature.
    For the Linux part I've been following this guide: http://accessibility.freestandards.o...50126-mag.html
    I tried the first procedure, and it worked quite fine, allthough I couldn't get to the magnification level I needed, and the low resolution made things look a bit bad. Also I tried playing around with the themes (background colors etc.)
    I can get a nice black background, and using white text then makes it much easier for me to see. But the problem is that in some applications I saw the background change, but not the text, and therefore I had black text on a black backgroud, or something like that anyway.

I'm really glad to hear there are people working on this, cause when I first started googling for this topic I couldn't find much info. The things I found were scattered all over the place.

-Daniel

Beans

I just installed Ubuntu 6.06 here today and noted that when I start gnome-mag with composite support or xmcm some of the panels properties change and the applications are not more aware of they, since if an application is maximized the panels are totally hidden. It's also occurs with others users here?

Thanks,
    Carlos.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by cerdiogenes View Post
    I just installed Ubuntu 6.06 here today and noted that when I start gnome-mag with composite support or xmcm some of the panels properties change and the applications are not more aware of they, since if an application is maximized the panels are totally hidden. It's also occurs with others users here?

Thanks,
    Carlos.
    at least with XMCM i suspect this is due to the magnifeid window being placed on top of the root window. In other words gnome-panels have the property of being always on top but because we take the entire screen for fullscreen magnification, we go ontop of even those panels. After using the magnifier I have seen the panels no longer retain their "always on top"

you should be able to run "sudo killall gnome-panel" and that will effectively restart the gnome-panel. I am not sure what this will do while in full screen magnification mode.
    Proud low vision user of Ubuntu
    ~Jason Grieves (Ubuntu Accessibility Team)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jasongrieves View Post
    at least with XMCM i suspect this is due to the magnifeid window being placed on top of the root window. In other words gnome-panels have the property of being always on top but because we take the entire screen for fullscreen magnification, we go ontop of even those panels. After using the magnifier I have seen the panels no longer retain their "always on top"

you should be able to run "sudo killall gnome-panel" and that will effectively restart the gnome-panel. I am not sure what this will do while in full screen magnification mode.
    Ow, this makes sense, since the panels are windows "always on top" when COMPOSITE is enabled they lost this property. I was thinking why this does not happen with X11R7.1 and now I realize that this may be due the Overlay window that was added to COMPOSITE (to resolve, including, this issue).

Best regards,
    Carlos.

Beans

So at this stage is there any solution that would work reasonably well to use for someone like me who has to use magnification all the time?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

hi,

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accessibility/Reviews/gnome-mag

My friend is a power user of Zoomtext and now uses full screen magnification with this. Says it works out very well. I got him setup with it and he is very satisfied....contact me with questions/comments!
    Proud low vision user of Ubuntu
    ~Jason Grieves (Ubuntu Accessibility Team)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast