Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: to all you wordsmiths and logophiles

Beans

to all you wordsmiths and logophiles

I am looking for a word which for the life of me escapes me.

I have scoured the Internet with descriptions and looked in dictionaries but i dont know really where to start.

A while back watching some TV show there was someone in the Hotel who was responsible for giving out information about the surrounding area and attractions, they knew everything about everything, opening times, addresses etc etc, i dont think it matters but i "think" it was in canada so may be regional but i doubt it.

Before anyone says concierge no i dont mean that as everyone keeps giving me that answer.

It was a cool word and i need it for something.

Any ideas or suggestions, cheers
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: to all you wordsmiths and logophiles

kiosk

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Claviger?

If you have the time and dedication, a google search of synonym concierge may discover it. That's my general approach to getting those words on the tip of my tongue...
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

conocer ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jmfal View Post
    kiosk
    Kiosk refers to inanimate object used to store materials for vending (typically) and not a name for a person or role (as far as i know)

And too all above yes i used a thesaurus

I have a black belt in google-fu but it is difficult with what i have to work with.

It is kind of a local tourism and attraction savant.

Concierge is more of a butler, this was a person who was employed in the hotel at their own stand (kiosk) who could supply information on the local area, with almost eidetic precision.

Cheers

Edit: i Just need to recall what TV show it was used on and im golden....LOL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    Concierge is more of a butler, this was a person who was employed in the hotel at their own stand (kiosk) who could supply information on the local area, with almost eidetic precision.

Cheers

Edit: i Just need to recall what TV show it was used on and im golden....LOL
    I think this depends on the class of the hotel; at the top London hotels the concierge rarely leaves the lobby; guest call down to them all day and night and they have to have an encyclopedic knowledge of London.. both above and below board from what I understand! the bell boys, room service and housekeeping make up the butler aspect... though if you're willing to pay enough some hotels do provide a butler service so I'm told. You've got me really racking my brain now... There was a program here based on a book called hotel babylon... if it's a recent series it could have been a Canadian version of that show?

Unfortunately during my student days I was first a cleaner and then a barman (better tips, no toilets) but we just called ours the concierge... the top concierge staff are part of the "clefs d'or" (had to wiki the spelling) maybe french Canadians have a slang based around that?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gnu/mirow View Post
    I think this depends on the class of the hotel; at the top London hotels the concierge rarely leaves the lobby; guest call down to them all day and night and they have to have an encyclopedic knowledge of London.. both above and below board from what I understand! the bell boys, room service and housekeeping make up the butler aspect... though if you're willing to pay enough some hotels do provide a butler service so I'm told. You've got me really racking my brain now... There was a program here based on a book called hotel babylon... if it's a recent series it could have been a Canadian version of that show?

Unfortunately during my student days I was first a cleaner and then a barman (better tips, no toilets) but we just called ours the concierge... the top concierge staff are part of the "clefs d'or" (had to wiki the spelling) maybe french Canadians have a slang based around that?
    It is driving me crazy, more so what show or movie i heard it in, i can see in my minds eye the protagonist talking to this woman (who was blonde and hot...lol) and then after discovering her almost eidetic recall of the surroundings labelling her as ........... i want to say infophile but thats not it, its driving me mad as is recalling the show, I am thinking "White Collar" but for some reason I am thinking of Al Pacino though he was not in White Collar. I am stumped

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The word "Guru" comes to mind, though it is not specific to that topic. It might make it worth bringing out the thesaurus again.

Are you looking for a word, or a term? It may have been more of a spontaneous term as was "proximity infatuation" from Vanilla Sky.
    Last edited by Nixarter; July 10th, 2012 at 04:09 AM.

Beans

Are you sure it's an English word? Maybe check a French thesaurus if it was Canadian. I suppose it could it have been a made-up word. The scene doesn't remind me of any Pacino movie I've seen.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast