Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install and tweak E17 Enlightenment

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install and tweak E17 Enlightenment

Does anyone knows how to fix file selector dialog in e17? When I try to open something, file selector dialog is not sorted alphabeticaly, but it some random way. This drives me nuts!
    Also, in entrance, I get nice golden cursor, but not when I'm in e17. I get some plain white cursor.

EDIT:
    I found another repository, with some e17 app debs I didn't find in soulmachine repository.
    Check it out here:
    http://gefechtsdienst.de/uman/files/...n/binary-i386/
    Last edited by Nikola; April 29th, 2005 at 12:51 PM.

Beans

How did you get entrace running on startup?

Beans

hi.. ive tried installing E17 using all the information i can gather from this forum. However, i still couldnt get it to install, keep on getting this 404 error.. ive tried adding a combination of soulmachine and also the mirror.myspace repo but couldnt.. i tried browsing through it and finding what pages exists and dont,(which eventually turns out that the enlightenment.0.17-pre* was in http://mirror.my-space.ath.cx/ unstable-20050215/ instead of http://soulmachine.net/debian unstable-20050215/ which doesnt exists anymore..)
    even so, when i put in the mirrorspace repo in my sources.list, i still get the 404 error.. gahh, really dont know what went wrong here.. i could even download the .deb package using firefox, but somehow i cant download it using either wget, apt-get or synaptic. i thought of downloading all the .deb files using firefox and doing a sudo dpkg -i, but kinda felt that was really unwise, so i didnt. Btw, im still a newbie in Linux, just used it for the last 2 months.. anyway, could anyone help me ? i really want to install this software.. thanks in advance!

Beans

Well, I did download all those .deb packages and proceeded to install them manually. They're i386 packages though, and I'm running amd64.. So I did dpkg --force-architecture -i packade.deb, I don't know if that's very clever though Well, I was able to install most of them, homewer, I got a kewl dependency problem.

I mean,
    enlightenment depends on enlightenment data and libe
    libe depends of enlightenment
    enlightenment-data depends on enlightenment

So, how exactly am I supposed to install those? And umm, even though this is in Warty forum, it looks like this guide is for/works for Hoary, so that's what I'm running. And it's indeed amd64, so I guess it just might not work :F It'd be nice to have a amd64 repo, I wouldn't want to compile all those packages myself

Beans

Has anybody find a repository that synaptic can read from to get these files? I've had the same 404 problems as everyone else, for the record.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by codemills
    well. I am looking a simple installation of e17 for a linux newbie. I am Linux server admin by profession and playing with servers and installation just from bash commands is my meat and bread but this is not the case for newbie. so http://get-e.org is too hardcore as it involves installation from command line.

the installation using synpatic by adding soulmachine repos is the simplest one IMHO.

so i am looking to do this entirely from synaptic with some files to be added edited using command line.

although i have installed enlightenment. i still have lots of e17 things to be added but synaptic is giving errors like depends BLAH but cannot be installed. i am extremely pissed off why it cant.

i will add a screenshot later and the code in my preferences file and sources file.
    First of all, hello to everyone here. As you can see this is my first post here. I just happened to notice a certain url is mentioned here heh - I'm one of the content team guys from http://get-e.org. This post is not meant to be an advertisement btw, I just want to clear a few things.

We are much more than just a site about installation information. The install section on the user guide is less than ~20% of the whole guide. It's true that manual compiling notes are told first, but that's because that works for all distributions. There's also a distribution specific section, which points at various unofficial package repositories.

The real point of get-e.org however, is to be a users' portal - something like kde-look.org is to KDE. The user guide, after the initial brief installation section, explains (almost) everything there is to know about configuring E17 and using the most popular EFL (Enlightenment Foundation Libraries) based applications. It's written as a book, so I'd suggest reading it from the beginning using the printable monolithic version, which can be found at http://get-e.org/User_Guide/English_pages/print.html. We also have the guide translated into 6 languages (more coming soon). These are all maintained to be concurrent with the current development version in CVS.

Besides the user guide, we also have a FAQs section that has all the most common questions (and answers) - noticed some of those questions in this thread too (this FAQs section is meant to be read after the user guide of course). The real deal with the site however, is that we host themes for various E17/EFL related programs - this includes EAPP iconsets, E17 themes and both static and animated background EDJ files. In the future we're hoping to have some Evidence themes there too. The status page has the current development state "in a nutshell", so if your wondering why a certain feature doesn't exist yet, you might want to check that. Last but not least, we also have the obligatory screenshots section.

All in all, this site has just been started around 1-2 weeks ago, so this is hopefully just the beginning. The lude.net/edocs link that I noticed earlier in this thread no longer exists btw - that project has moved to this new site.
    Last edited by vrln; May 9th, 2005 at 04:19 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Aasitus
    Well, I did download all those .deb packages and proceeded to install them manually. They're i386 packages though, and I'm running amd64.. So I did dpkg --force-architecture -i packade.deb, I don't know if that's very clever though Well, I was able to install most of them, homewer, I got a kewl dependency problem.

I mean,
    enlightenment depends on enlightenment data and libe
    libe depends of enlightenment
    enlightenment-data depends on enlightenment

So, how exactly am I supposed to install those? And umm, even though this is in Warty forum, it looks like this guide is for/works for Hoary, so that's what I'm running. And it's indeed amd64, so I guess it just might not work :F It'd be nice to have a amd64 repo, I wouldn't want to compile all those packages myself
    Im also running AMD64 and im having this error:

root@dhcppc1:/home/crow # apt-get install enlightenment
    Leyendo lista de paquetes... Hecho
    Creando árbol de dependencias... Hecho
    El paquete enlightenment no está disponible, pero algún otro paquete hace referencia
    a él. Esto puede significar que el paquete falta, está obsoleto o sólo se
    encuentra disponible desde alguna otra fuente
    Sin embargo, los siguientes paquetes lo reemplazan:
    e16-data
    E: El paquete enlightenment no tiene candidato para su instalación
    root@dhcppc1:/home/crow #
    Its says the package is not available or that its out of date, blah blah blah (the error is through previous posts).

How do i manage to skip this ?? do i have to manually download each pkg? and then run:

]$ sudo apt-get install pkg1 pkg2 pkg3 pkg4.... etc...

??

Or because its a 32bit compilation it wont work on Ubuntu 64bits? If this is the case, if i install it in the chroot enviroment, that way would work?

Help please... !

Beans

Hi all...

I got the same problem as Nicola before:

After a few problems I got installed the packages

enlightenment & enlightenment.data

I tried a reboot and got a black screen, after a few seconds it becomes a white one.
    If I want to apt-get install eutilis the package ist not found.

I`m a total noob in Linux but pherhaps anybody wants to help a noob,too

(Sorry for my bad English, I`am from Germany)

**edit** I ALL GOT IT !!
    Last edited by rickz; May 18th, 2005 at 11:10 AM.

Beans

Hi ALL

Can anyone tell me WHERE I can down load E17? '0.17.0_pre10-0cvs20050216' I have looked at ALL the locations in this thread and the nearest I can get to it is 0.19.999???

is this the same version under a different file name??

thanks in advance

clinton
    Registered Linux User 389381

Ubuntu ;- The best free Linux distro there is

Beans

I found this info while being confused by the same issue.

http://shadoi.soulmachine.net/

"One question I get repeatedly is: "Why did the version # go down?!" This was a decision made by Rasterman, the project lead. He makes snapshot releases on enlightenment.freedesktop.org now and this change was made to make that process easier. The final release version will still be 0.17."

So use the 16.99 or whatever it is.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast