Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 Rocks on Lenovo Z570 !!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu 12.04 Rocks on Lenovo Z570 !!

Hi,

Reposting the stuff I posted in compatibility list

1)Version Of Ubuntu - Ubuntu 12.04 - Precise Pangolin - 64 Bit
    2)Laptop Maker - Lenovo
    3)Laptop Model - Lenovo Z570.

Everything works and works good

Suspend/Resume works (This is the ONLY Linux flavour so far on which this has worked), Changing brightness through laptop keys works, Fn+F2 works (screen off/on), my pppoe connectivity works.

Best part is, this is the only version and flavour of Linux on which my battery works for 3.5 hours (and still counting...). That too while I am downloading cinammon, installing it, browsing the net, downloading updates, installing themes etc.

Best version of Linux I've used till date.

There are some laptop heating issues, but the temperature howers between 37C when Idle and 51C when all the activities mentioned above are going on. So not like its crossing 60C or something like that.

I was really really bugged with Windows. It would randomly put messages stating my USB Ports are gone dead, give me blue screens etc etc...But one day, while I was backing up my data, it crashed, and somehow the backup too got messed up. That did it for me and I have been looking out for a better OS to move off to.

Tried a lot of Linux Flavours. All of them are great and amazing, but there wasn't a single distro that would have all the features...And thats when I got Ubuntu 12.04 and man does it rock !!

Thank you Ubuntu Developers, now I am finally able to completely move off Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 Rocks on Lenovo Z570 !!

Code:
    https://code.google.com/p/tpfanco/
    could you please try this software for me ? and post some info if you can controll your fans and the temperatures ?

also what kernel are you running ?
    Last edited by Lupajz; July 10th, 2012 at 11:17 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi,

Here's what I am using:

Code:
    linuxguy@linuxbox:~$ uname -a
    Linux linuxbox 3.2.0-26-generic #41-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 14 17:49:24 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    linuxguy@linuxbox:~$
    Will try the software and let you know.

Did you try it yourself? Did it work for you? Or you want to use my laptop as a test ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This may sound evil but I really want to use your laptop as an testing machine

Ty for that kernel message. Have you thought of updating kernel to 3.4.4 already ? I read many articles about the 3.5 so I am still waiting for me to go fully ubuntu

Beans
    Distro

Wow and No, I am not going to upgrade my system to 3.4.4.....

And no, I am not going to install that script. My laptop is fine as of now, and thats how I intend it to be.

Suggest you try it first

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

And how about the thermal button and cinema one ? and special fn keys ? how many of them work ?

Beans
    Distro

Hi,

None of those keys work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Anyone willing to support me ? Somebody with z570 could try this out until I get home from vacations to my z570 and try this

New ideapad-laptop.c file :

- fan control
    - special keys handling

If it works ? IDK Some info from you guys would help should work on any kernel

Beans

I updated my kernel release to "3.0.0-26-generic". I then disabled the nvidia graphics card in the bios. These two things, sorted out the fan issue. My computer went from operating at 60 C to this:

sumio@hyperdad:~$ sensors
    acpitz-virtual-0
    Adapter: Virtual device
    temp1: +47.0°C (crit = +98.0°C)
    temp2: +40.0°C (crit = +126.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    Physical id 0: +47.0°C (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
    Core 0: +47.0°C (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
    Core 1: +43.0°C (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

The only downside is that the brightness keys on the keyboard stopped working(FN + UP/FN + DOWN).

Beans
    Distro

HOW does your suspend/hibernate work?
    In a jealous way I find that mildly irritating.
    I just installed 12.04.1 LTS on my Z575, nearly identical hardware, and the screen is unresponsive after suspend. I can still use it, but the screen (not backlight, entire screen receives no power/data) is non-functional.

/var/log/pm-suspend.log reports no errors other than the failure to resume WiFi by NetworkManager. That's unrelated, and it will also be irritating.

Oh, I just realized the Z570 uses an i5, not the A6-3420M that I have. That would explain it. Sorry for rant...