Thread: NetBeans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

NetBeans

Decided to try out netbeans ide. So i downloaded the software from the official netbeans site and found a file called netbeans-7.1.2-ml-php-linux.sh in my Downloads folder.

Would anyone tell me how i might install netbeans please.
    Why is it that Linux is just not Linux without Ubuntu!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: NetBeans

Open a terminal,

Code:
    cd ~/Downloads
    chmod +x netbeans-7.1.2-ml-php-linux.sh
    This makes the file executable.

Double click to run it.
    "All right amatuer hour's over. Let me show you why they call me the Velour Fog...."
    .:GitHub:.|.:Dropbox:.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: NetBeans

Why are you downloading software from websites?

Just use the Software Center to install NetBeans.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lightbulb Re: NetBeans

I would like to further explain the answer of Chamber (of course he did a good job answering Old-un's question, but I think it is a better idea to explain what someone is letting the computer do, when you let someone run some commands, especially in the case of changing permissions). For example users shouldn't change the permissions of a file too easy (that wouldn't be safe). Only when it's really necessary. Old-un probably has no idea what "chmod +x" means. I think that if you let someone change the permissions of a file, has to no what he is doing exactly. Correct me if I'm wrong. *No offence* Just trying to help and give my opinion.

Anyway now I'm going to explain to Old-un what "chmod +x" means.
    Chmod is an Unix command (Linux is part of the Unix-like family, it's not officialy endorsed as an Unix variant)which is used to change the permissions of files. You can add and remove permissions from a file. You have different kinds of permissions, for example the permission to read the file (r), the permission to edit the file (write, w) and the permission to execute the file (x)(if it is possible to execute it, it must be an computer program(a binary or script))(don't know if there are anymore permissions, but these are the most common I think). So called shell commands always have parameters in this case whether to add or remove a specified permission. So when you run chmod +x with the file as an additional parameter, for example:
    Code:
    chmod +x /home/your_account_name/Documents/myshellscript.sh
    ,you add the permission the execute the file to the file. You can also delete/remove a permission (for example:
    Code:
    chmod -x /home/your_account_name/Downloads/my_python_script.py
    for more information or another (possibly better )explanation visit Wikipedia(
    Code:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chmod
    And @Cheesemill it is possible that Old-un downloaded Netbeans from their website because he wanted the latest version (I done that to I while ago, because the repo's where still at 6.7 or 6.5, while Netbeans 7 was already available)
    Last edited by Superpelican12; July 9th, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
    Asus K53SJ-SX216V laptop - Core i3 2310M - 4GB RAM
    - 320GB WD3200 (4KB blocks ) - Intel HD3000/Nvidia Geforce GT520M - Win7 Ho. Pre. 64 bit/Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit